Poor diving techniques I noticed during this week's trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did anyone pull you aside to talk about this as a poor practice that can potentially cause DCS? You kind of threw it in there non-chalantly, but new divers reading your post should be aware that it is not good practice

The water depth was 20'. During the predive briefing divers were advised to surface for a boat check as needed.

Did anyone pull you aside to talk about this as a poor practice that can potentially cause DCS? You kind of threw it in there non-chalantly, but new divers reading your post should be aware that it is not good practice to surface to get ones bearings and re-descend. There was a story posted a few years ago on SB where the author did exactly this as a routine sort of thing and wound up taking a chamber ride because of it.

I am not exonerating the folks you observed displaying poor diving practices but more often than not when one points their finger there are 3 pointed right back at oneself.

-Z

I'd like to highlight this warning specially in South Florida waters, IF the person surfacing does not have a marker.
This location is probably too shallow to get in the DCS subject, but depending how far off you were from your boat, there's definitely a high chance to have a close encounter with one or more propellers.

The water depth was 20'. During the predive briefing divers were advised to surface for a boat check as needed.

Depth aside, it is still poor form to surface and re-descend unless you are regrouping with a lost buddy, which is also caused by poor form.

-Z

I’ve discovered it’s much more enjoyable to just post on FB within one’s own circle about the really bad and/or arrogant divers. No confrontations on the boat/at the quarry and one can be as sarcastic as one desires without anyone getting their knickers in a really bad twist.

I'd like to highlight this warning specially in South Florida waters, IF the person surfacing does not have a marker.
This location is probably too shallow to get in the DCS subject, but depending how far off you were from your boat, there's definitely a high chance to have a close encounter with one or more propellers.

Couldn’t agree more. Sadly in South Florida the SMB is all too often deployed AFTER the diver reaches the surface. What could possibly go wrong? It’s required for a solo diver to be proficient at launching a SMB at depth. For their own safety this skill should be stressed and understood by all drift divers regardless of their certification level. It’s not uncommon for divers, especially in strong currents, to get separated from the DM carrying the flag or to surface prior to the rest of the group.

Or the idiotic tourist on the jet skis. They are worse than the boaters down here

I'd like to highlight this warning specially in South Florida waters, IF the person surfacing does not have a marker. This location is probably too shallow to get in the DCS subject, but depending how far off you were from your boat, there's definitely a high chance to have a close encounter with one or more propellers.

Sorry forgot to mention each dive group (mine was a group of one) carried flags.

Reactions: Ana
but new divers reading your post should be aware that it is not good practice to surface to get ones bearings and re-descend.
I do it and I teach it. As a guide in the Keys for a few years, this was pretty common. This is my 50th year of diving (June 1969) and I've never been bent.

I'm compiling video of last weeks trip.

Here's a quick video of my coral kicking, fin dragging instabuddy using a handhold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom