Another "Help me build my GoPro rig" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, for my sins, I'm joining the GoPro cult :) Our company had a one-time 25% off GoPro so there's a Hero7 Black coming next week.

It seems that the GoPro SuperSuit is the most common housing at least for starters? Are there any others I should look at? Like the OP, I'm planning on very casual usage, mostly to show friends and family what I see diving, not anything remotely serious.

A cheap knockoff housing is actualy better
With the supersuit you have to remove the lens cover that normaly makes the camera waterproof.
With a knockoff you can keep the cover on so even if the housing leaks your gopro still has a chance.

True, however the likelyhood of any leaking goes way up.... just saying.... But, on the other hand, the GP7 with lens cover should be able to handle any small intrusion....

Not saying you're wrong, just both sides to consider....

@DesertEagle , nice footage! Any color correction or is that straight up as filmed? Either way, looks nice! :thumb:

Taking off the lens cover doesn't change it's waterproofness.

Did you read all the posts in the thread you linked?

I've read many threads on this subject and there's as many posts saying it's not waterproof without the cover as there is saying it is, GoPro has never confirmed either way.

If you're so sure, do you want to test it out on yours and let us know what happens?

Cheers

Did you read all the posts in the thread you linked?

I've read many threads on this subject and there's as many posts saying it's not waterproof without the cover as there is saying it is, GoPro has never confirmed either way.

If you're so sure, do you want to test it out on yours and let us know what happens?

Cheers
Yes I did. Read the post by the actual GoPro admin Jefft, (message 15):
Just to confirm, the HERO 5 Black is waterproof to 10m with or without the lens protector. The lens cover is good to keep on as protection from bumps, etc

True, however the likelyhood of any leaking goes way up.... just saying.... But, on the other hand, the GP7 with lens cover should be able to handle any small intrusion....

Not saying you're wrong, just both sides to consider....

@DesertEagle , nice footage! Any color correction or is that straight up as filmed? Either way, looks nice! :thumb:

Minor editing with Adobe Rush CC on my phone.

Just to add a little fuel to the waterproof gopro debate. I chatted with them and this is what the rep said:
GoPro Rep (5/21/2019, 4:13:23 PM): The HERO6 Black will not fit to Super Suit unless protective lens is removed
Me (5/21/2019, 4:14:48 PM): right, but if water were to enter the super suit, would the camera have any water resistance? maybe a different way to ask would be: If I remove the lens cover what would my effective waterproof rating be? ie 5mins at 10feet
GoPro Rep (5/21/2019, 4:18:56 PM): If the water leaked inside the super suit, it will need your keen observation and careful use if the water has intruded in the lens. Unless, the camera's body surface is the only part which water leaked, then it is still safe to use. However, we recommend you to go out from the water as soon as you see water intruding in the Supersuit
GoPro Rep (5/21/2019, 4:19:10 PM): Additionally...
GoPro Rep (5/21/2019, 4:20:01 PM): I can guarantee you that as long as you made sure that the camera and Super suit were properly secured before use, then it will lead a safe way under water
GoPro Rep (5/21/2019, 4:20:42 PM): The super suit is waterproof to 196ft (60m)
GoPro Rep (5/21/2019, 4:27:54 PM): Water will intrude if protective lens is removed (if using CAMERA ONLY)
Me (5/21/2019, 4:28:20 PM): gotcha, so no lens cover = no waterproof rating
GoPro Rep (5/21/2019, 4:28:32 PM): You are correct!
GoPro Rep (5/21/2019, 4:28:45 PM): It needs the USB door, battery door and protective lens properly sealed
GoPro Rep (5/21/2019, 4:28:49 PM): Alrighty?
Me (5/21/2019, 4:28:51 PM): awesome, thank you much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom