How much of a factor is age in scuba deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sickness and disease...which knows no age limits
Well, I did recently get my first MMR shot. It wasn't available when I was a kid, and I know I never had measles - unsure about the R thing. I'm probably due for a tetanus shot. Some suggest that farmers don't need one because we're constantly exposed, but I know one that barely survived it. It took the doctors a while to diagnose it as they'd never seen it. I'm current on the others I think.

This may be off subject, but it's an old horse that's been beat to death before. And on that note, I am off to gym. :jump: Ok, maybe I'll keep the car in the shed until after the tornado watch passes. It should be there tomorrow.

There are dozens of factors that can be considered, and age is merely one of them. Granted, as we age "stuff doesn't work as well anymore", and speed of recovery can be one of the more frustrating things that comes with age.

As for me? I read the accident reports and figure "avoid places with warm water", since that's also where most of the "old folks" accidents seem to occur.. :-D

When you look at BSAC's annual scuba accident reports, most fatalities (~2/3) are probably related to a medical problem in combination with the victim being alone in the water incapacitated.

The thing is that they don't really know that.

For example, we now believe that some fatalities previously blamed on medical factors are due to carbon monoxide contamination of the breathing gas, or had such contamination as contributing factors. No one knows how many.

And we know now that there is such a thing as IPE, and it's diving related and not the sort of "preexisting medical factor" that makes a convenient scapegoat. How prevalent is that? Nobody knows.

And we do not know that the "victim being alone in the water" is a substantial risk factor. Effective intervention of rescuers responding to an in-water medical event is rare. How much difference does it make to have someone right there? Again, the statistics are silent, even though everyone has an opinion.

I've read through reams of BSAC and DAN reports. There are very few broad conclusions that can be drawn from the data:
  • SCUBA diving, overall, is a safe activity with risk levels commensurate with those of other active forms of leisure
  • The riskiest dives are the first 20 or so dives post-certification
  • BC failures lead to more fatalities than failures of any other piece of equipment
  • Running out of air is part of the accident chain in many cases although there are almost always other factors as well
  • Some fairly substantial number of fatalities while scuba diving are manifestations of previously existing medical conditions that would not have been any more survivable on land. I don't think the data tells us whether it's 25% or 50%.

Otherwise, there are some specific things that have come out over the years and led to changes in how people are taught. Among the most recent of these has been more emphasis on manual inflation of the BC when reaching the surface following an emergency.

the riskiest dives are the first 20 or so dives post-certification

BC failures lead to more fatalities than failures of any other piece of equipment
From this forum, I've gotten the ideas that the first dive of a trip is the riskiest, and lead weights not being ditched is all too common. Or so goes my somewhat informed observations.

Well, I did recently get my first MMR shot. It wasn't available when I was a kid, and I know I never had measles - unsure about the R thing. I'm probably due for a tetanus shot. Some suggest that farmers don't need one because we're constantly exposed, but I know one that barely survived it. It took the doctors a while to diagnose it as they'd never seen it. I'm current on the others I think.

This may be off subject, but it's an old horse that's been beat to death before. And on that note, I am off to gym. :jump: Ok, maybe I'll keep the car in the shed until after the tornado watch passes. It should be there tomorrow.

DD
Rubella...is...Measles...the German variety...

Pneumococcal Pneumonia...and Shingles vaccinations are also common in Canada for ''us'' seniors...

Warren...

MMR

mumps measles and rubella

DD
Rubella...is...Measles...

Pneumococcal Pneumonia...and Shingles vaccinations are also common in Canada for ''us'' seniors...
Rubella...is...German Measles, and I think I had those but I'm not sure. I remember having the mumps, glad I got those out of the way as a kid, but I asked my PA and she ordered the MMR package. I've had two Pneumonia shots...and two of the new Shingles shot...Shingrix, and that took some hustling to find. My son-in-law had a shingles attack in his 40s and I have a cousin whose had two in her teens. They sound awful, and I'd rather not.

So why are we talking with dots...??

MMR

mumps measles and rubella
Commas are such a pain, huh? :)

Rubella...is...German Measles, and I think I had those but I'm not sure. I remember having the mumps, glad I got those out of the way as a kid, but I asked my PA and she ordered the MMR package. I've had two Pneumonia shots...and two of the new Shingles shot...Shingrix, and that took some hustling to find. My son-in-law had a shingles attack in his 40s and I have a cousin whose had two in her teens. They sound awful, and I'd rather not.

So why are we talking with dots...??

Commas are such a pain, huh? :)

CC...

Ya...I guess...saves all this...,...;...:...( ).../...?...+..._...-...etc...and ...so...on...

W...

So, you are trying to tell me that more old people die that younger ones???? I am shocked, shocked I say. Next, you will be telling me that more old people are sicker than younger ones, or that a 65 year old is not in as good of shape as a 25 year old. You guys and your Gerontophobia.

Back
Top Bottom