Raja Ampat Resort Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nudisusie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My group is taking a liveaboard Triton Bay to Sorong in March 2020 (Samambaia) but we're hoping to spend a few extra days land based in Northern Raja Ampat. We arrive into Sorong on a Friday.
I've looked at the following:-
Sorido Bay and Kri Eco Resorts, 7 nights minimum and seems like no diving available on Saturday, plus top range price wise.
Papua Explorers looks a good option but non-scheduled transfers are 600euro and almost 2000euro pp for 5 nights/10 dives
Raja Ampat Biodiversity does offer 5 nights and 2 dives per day and transfer with public ferry for around 1400 euro pp.
Maha Raja Eco Resort on northern Batanta -reasonable price but doesn;t look like they offer diving in the Dampier Strait.

We're looking for something mid-range, experienced guides, small dive groups, hot water in showers, ac preferably but if very cool then ok for fan only.

Anyone have first hand experience of the above resorts or other options to recommend? Thanks

Raja Ampat dive lodge (Grand Komodo) : aircon rooms, guides from Manado and Flores, good location on Mansuar, reasonably priced compared to its competitors (Papua Explorers which is always full, Kri Eco that has only few ensuite bathroom accoms, ...), Few divers in April as it doesn't seem they were very efficient on marketing, so I had 2 guides and a boat all for myself... hope they didn't improve much on that.
The only drawback I could complain for was the food : dull and scarce, maybe it evolved from 5 years ago.

Raja Ampat dive lodge (Grand Komodo) : aircon rooms, guides from Manado and Flores, good location on Mansuar, reasonably priced compared to its competitors (Papua Explorers which is always full, Kri Eco that has only few ensuite bathroom accoms, ...), Few divers in April as it doesn't seem they were very efficient on marketing, so I had 2 guides and a boat all for myself... hope they didn't improve much on that.
The only drawback I could complain for was the food : dull and scarce, maybe it evolved from 5 years ago.
Luko was the last time you were there five years ago?

If so we need an updated report. Somebody...?

- Bill

I was on a boat with a couple from Canada who enjoyed their time with Papua Explorers. They said the guides were experienced and good. I think there are some places that don't dive Sundays instead of Saturdays....That sounds familiar-can someone confirm? Honestly, the prices seem high for the number of dives you are getting. Is adding on an option? How much?

Will you be diving any part of Raja Ampat as you make your way to Sorong? If not at all or not much, I suggest you just pay a little bit more for a budget liveaboard and do a 7 day around the area. The $ per dive is going to be better value and the liveaboards usually do 3 or 4 a day, with 1 being a night dive if 4. There are some safari options that also have you eat and dive off a boat during the day then stay land based at homestays at night. Would that be something you're interested in? Scuba Republic does something like that and it's not that expensive, less than what you would be paying based on what you were quoting. About $1500 USD for 6 nights, 7 days.

Raja Ampat Liveaboard - Scuba Republic Indonesia

Homestay is cheap and cheerful. Some even have AC.
And it does not burn a hole in your pocket!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've received a decent quote from Raja Dive Lodge so that maybe will be the option. If so we'll provide an update Billt4sf.
Also looked into liveaboards, we'll be diving southern Raja around Misool for sure on the Samambaia but there are very few doing 6/7 nights in the north that could match with our dates.

I'd second Mike's recommendation. We enjoyed Papua Paradise. Beautiful over water bungalows, good food, good dive guides, very relaxed. We're going back in December for 5 days before a Triton Bay to Sorong trip. We've also been at Papua Explorers which we also liked, but it's a little less relaxed, a little more regimented. Papua Paradise is farther from the best sites in Dampier Strait but has good macro. Papua Explorers is a quick ride to all the famous sites.

Luko was the last time you were there five years ago?

If so we need an updated report. Somebody...?

- Bill

Just came back from a two week trip to the Raja Ampat Dive Lodge. Great place, no issues and close to many good dive sites. Food was fine too. Island is beautiful and has cockatoos and other exotic birds flying around.

You definitely could do a lot worse. Gede the resort manager is also friendly and competent and does his best to make sure all the guests have a good time.

Back
Top Bottom