Any comments on Garmin Descent MK1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I absolutely love mine, and I get a lot of people asking about it. They usually stop once I tell them the price though :wink:

I haven't tried out any mode other than single gas, but they added CCR support a little while ago.

If you're curious what kind of information you get on a typical dive, here's one of mine from December.

Nice. Looks like you had to enter some of it into the software?

How is it to actually use in diving? User friendly?
What do you want to be user friendly? Unless you are switching gas you just look at it.

This is why I get quite so pissy about ridiculous money computers. Once you can read it it really doesn’t get much better. The difference between a Mares Puck for £150 and a Teric at £1150 on a simple no stop dive is approximately zero.

The difference between a £150 wetsuit and a £1150 drysuit is very real.

On the other hand I still curse when I press the wrong button to select the compass on my £842 computer.

Out of the water it makes a bit more of a difference, for planning and setting gases, but that is not really so hard either.

What do you want to be user friendly? Unless you are switching gas you just look at it.

This is why I get quite so pissy about ridiculous money computers. Once you can read it it really doesn’t get much better. The difference between a Mares Puck for £150 and a Teric at £1150 on a simple no stop dive is approximately zero.

The difference between a £150 wetsuit and a £1150 drysuit is very real.

On the other hand I still curse when I press the wrong button to select the compass on my £842 computer.

Out of the water it makes a bit more of a difference, for planning and setting gases, but that is not really so hard either.

if a dive computer has air integration and a great compass ill buy that for 300 bucks instead of my perdix A.I. until that time ill pay the extra cash because lets face it....if you mountain bike alot you will pay 5000 to 10000 dollars for a bicicle. if you do trackdays with motorcycles you will spend tens of thousands of dollars....pick your sport ill spend ten grand to twenty grand for you easy peasy chicken greasy.

i bought my perdix ai at about a 30% discount brand new but id pay full price for it if i had to over my junk useless zoop novo which is impossible to remember how to operate is not user friendly does not have air integration nor does it have double air integration for a second deco tank like my perdix.

I understand that in the old days things were different. I did my actual first scuba dive in 1985 uncertified in a very unsafe area with another noob. lucky we both lived but point is technology is different now.

why buy a black and white tv that works just fine when you can get an OLED display.

why get cheap commuter car when you can buy a nice one with front collision warning...rear back up collision warning.... side blind zone alert.... pedestrian warning so you dont run them over.....

yea i can just by a non tech car with a stick shift its what i learned on...a 1957 vw bug oval window..... would i use that now....nope

It's a great all around fitness/smart watch and mine stays on my wrist 24/7. I like that it geotags your entry and exit! However, I always dive with my Teric for deco and wireless AI. If I am on CCR, I dive with another two Petrels in addition to the Descent and Teric.
Hi Chairman. How does your Mk1's battery drain? I lost approximately 1-1.5% per hour, with Bluetooth off, heart rates on, default watch face, and low backlight... no activities. Is it too much?

Hi Chairman. How does your Mk1's battery drain? I lost approximately 1-1.5% per hour, with Bluetooth off, heart rates on, default watch face, and low backlight... no activities. Is it too much?
I get three or four days between charges. If I want to keep it high, I simply charge while I'm taking a shower. The big drain comes if you leave Garmin Connect running on your phone all the time. I sync it and stop it.

Yes I switched off the Bluetooth and there will be no connection. Well it's not a big issue though.

Dear All

Sharing information just wants to ask should I be worried and keep use it?
I have use it for my cycling with out any issue. But when it show the Dep. 269.5m it scared me

Yes I switched off the Bluetooth and there will be no connection. Well it's not a big issue though.
I leave my BT on all the time. It's only when it's connected to the phone that it loses a lot of power. Easier for me to close the app, than to fiddle with turning off the BT on my Descent. Once the app goes on, it easily establishes the connection, syncs everything, including the local time, and then I close that app. Easy. Simple. Works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom