Computer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rec diver here too. I bought a used Shearwater Petrel 2 earlier this year and have had 8 dives with it. In the past have rented Zoops and the ScubaPro Aladin. The Petrel 2 is so much easier to use and see underwater. Battery is a single AA and is really simple to replace. The only thing the Petrel 2 isn't capable of is Air Integration but that's ok as I have an old fashion and reliable SPG. Would I buy a new Shearwater? Not in my budget. But a used Shearwater, in a heart beat. Good luck in your search as that is part of the fun. Safe diving.

I’m a newbie, and cost is not an issue in my decision making about whether (or which) dive computer would be best. My concern is value for money, and utility/functionality. Ease of use. I will probably never dive beyond a recreational level. Diving is a means to an end for me not an end in itself. I don’t need to go deep to enjoy the underwater ecology and world. So which dive computer is most appropriate? Maybe just keep renting one? Although I’d prefer to own one, that I can be familiar with. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!
On the basis of the above, I have a few questions:
1) Do you plan to dive at home in less than great vis or do night dives?
2) Are you planning on using Nitrox or any other gasses?
3) Wrist mounted or console?

The reason for Q1 is simple - any LCD type computer will be hard to see in low vis unless you use the backlight or shine a torch on it. That means it is not always going to be easy to check as if you are using your other hand to dump air, hold a line, operate a dsmb etc you will struggle to light the screen. That was certainly my experience. I could use the Cressi Giotto but if I had any task like the above, it became difficult due to needing 2 hands to check the screen. LED/OLED vastly improves this as the numbers are always visible

Q2 - Most computers (apart from the very basic) will do multiple gasses however some will automatically switch those gasses off if you haven't dived in a specific time. This can be a pain on a liveaboard/trip where you are doing multiple dives on Nitrox.

Q3 - most people now choose wrist mounted but there are a number who prefer console. Wrist mounted will give you more options and more freedom as you can check your info (NDL, depth, time, etc) on the fly while doing other things as all it takes is a small flick of the wrist to orientate your screen towards you (which can be done during most activities such as dsmb, holding a line etc). Console on the other hand means that checking any info becomes a (minor) task in itself in that you have to unclip the console, look down at it and reclip. Doing this while operating other things can be awkward.

From my viewpoint LED/OLED screen, multiple gas & wrist mounted were must haves after I gained some experience. Air integration became a very desirable option (not quite 100% required but desired) and it is now at the point of being reliable enough for virtually all types of diving (there were concerns years ago about disconnections but with modern transmitter/receivers this appears to be solved as on 99.9% of dives it will not disconnect and if it does, it reconnects very shortly afterwards).

On that basis and the basis that cost is less of an issue, Shearwater Perdix/ Teric becomes a very strong contender (especially for a Canadian as they are a Canadian company). EON Core/Steel is a strong contender as is Ratio. All of which will do AI and be excellent for recreational diving.

Another thing to bear in mind is the algorithm that the computer runs and how conservative/aggressive it it - but that is for another thread (and has been dealt with many times on this forum). My personal choice is Buhlman but virtually all will work for recreational diving.

Thanks everyone, great comments and suggestions. Yes, wrist mounted. Yes to high visibility, mostly because as an old guy my eyesight needs all the help it can get. It’s interesting when you’re making a decision to take cost out of the equation. I realize most of the time this isn’t practical, but for this decision I would like it to be the right decision based on functionality, ease of use and dependability. Also, sometimes you hear that newbies buy a entry level dive computer, only to upgrade later. They justify this duplication by calling one the back up. Redundancy is fine, but often it’s a more expensive process to buy 2X. It’s best to do some homework and buy once. At least for me.

What you're asking is increasingly down to personal preferences

You already have a starting list.

For the next part you need to decide what features you cannot live without
What features or aspects you most certainly don't want
What is a nice to have
What are you ambivalent about

While not applicable to you as a first time buyer but accessories like transmitters can be a factor - the cost, compatibility number you can use

Also some of the less advertised features of a particular unit's software might be the tipping point decision wise

Your first point - only buy once, is fair, but who knows what technology or features the manufacturers will introduce in the near future, and whether you see value in upgrading. Also your perceptions on the type of diving you like and engage in now might differ in 100 dives.

Here's the other rub. There is no perfect computer. I've dived the top 3 high end computers, and for 100 dives all of them at the same time. I have my personal preferences of which order I rate them, however each one of them has at least one feature that neither of the others have, and which I wish they did. So I have to compromise as to which I'm most happy with (or dislike the least)

Only you can tell which best meets your needs as you see them now and for the foreseeable future

Thanks everyone, great comments and suggestions. Yes, wrist mounted. Yes to high visibility, mostly because as an old guy my eyesight needs all the help it can get. It’s interesting when you’re making a decision to take cost out of the equation. I realize most of the time this isn’t practical, but for this decision I would like it to be the right decision based on functionality, ease of use and dependability. Also, sometimes you hear that newbies buy a entry level dive computer, only to upgrade later. They justify this duplication by calling one the back up. Redundancy is fine, but often it’s a more expensive process to buy 2X. It’s best to do some homework and buy once. At least for me.
I made the decision when I started to buy my gear to but a Cressi Giotto - it did (and still does) virtually everything I need and was relatively cheap (which was important at the time). I did upgrade to a Perdix because of the issues I highlighted that only became apparent with experience (after doing some night dives & diving in low vis - which I hadn't done prior to my Giotto purchase). You buy what you can when you can. If the Perdix had been available and I had the experience and had the money when buying my first computer I would have gone straight to the Perdix - unfortunately those particular ducks didn't line up in a row at the time.

Thanks everyone, great comments and suggestions. Yes, wrist mounted. Yes to high visibility, mostly because as an old guy my eyesight needs all the help it can get.

The newer (more expensive) computers are usually specifically designed for readability, like the Mares Genius, Suunto D5, or Shearwater Perdix AI. Shearwater computers all have nice screens, and are especially easy to get here in Canada. I haven't seen a single dive shop without at least some Perdixes or Terics.

I have a Garmin Descent, which has great underwater visibility, but the watch form factor tends to be a bit small for readability.

What you're asking is increasingly down to personal preferences

You already have a starting list.

For the next part you need to decide what features you cannot live without
What features or aspects you most certainly don't want
What is a nice to have
What are you ambivalent about

While not applicable to you as a first time buyer but accessories like transmitters can be a factor - the cost, compatibility number you can use

Also some of the less advertised features of a particular unit's software might be the tipping point decision wise

Your first point - only buy once, is fair, but who knows what technology or features the manufacturers will introduce in the near future, and whether you see value in upgrading. Also your perceptions on the type of diving you like and engage in now might differ in 100 dives.

Here's the other rub. There is no perfect computer. I've dived the top 3 high end computers, and for 100 dives all of them at the same time. I have my personal preferences of which order I rate them, however each one of them has at least one feature that neither of the others have, and which I wish they did. So I have to compromise as to which I'm most happy with (or dislike the least)

Only you can tell which best meets your needs as you see them now and for the foreseeable future
Points taken, Diving Dubai, all true! Thanks. It’s a big benefit for newbies like me to be able to access the experiences and opinions of others who have already walked down this road. I’m curious which top three you include in your subjective evaluation.

I’m curious which top three you include in your subjective evaluation.

You should know that my first computer which I used for nearly 100 dives was a Cressi Leonardo, and I only changed because I wanted a bigger colour display (and a new toy)

For the 3 Computers

Suunto Eon Steel - I own it and have 700 dives on it
Shearwater Perdix, Again I own one and have 250 dives on it
OSTC Sport Plus - I was loaned this because I had an interest in the OSTC 4 I put 100 dives on it.

In my region all of the three cost about the same. This is not true in other regions. They all do the same thing and can be aligned to give the same NDL and Deco times
The Suunto (Currently) runs Fused RGBM 1 the Other two Buhlmann 16C

My favourite is still the Eon Steel Fundamentally it has the best screen display by a long way it also allows the user the most latitude in customising the secondary data you want displayed most configurable.

My least liked is the Perdix - it's not bad, it for me doesn't match the hype

But none of the above are bad computers and a lot comes down to personal preferences.

I've looked at Ratio but not tried one and am on the fence a bit is has some nice fun features but I don't really need them

You should know that my first computer which I used for nearly 100 dives was a Cressi Leonardo, and I only changed because I wanted a bigger colour display (and a new toy)

For the 3 Computers

Suunto Eon Steel - I own it and have 700 dives on it
Shearwater Perdix, Again I own one and have 250 dives on it
OSTC Sport Plus - I was loaned this because I had an interest in the OSTC 4 I put 100 dives on it.

In my region all of the three cost about the same. This is not true in other regions. They all do the same thing and can be aligned to give the same NDL and Deco times
The Suunto (Currently) runs Fused RGBM 1 the Other two Buhlmann 16C

My favourite is still the Eon Steel Fundamentally it has the best screen display by a long way it also allows the user the most latitude in customising the secondary data you want displayed most configurable.

My least liked is the Perdix - it's not bad, it for me doesn't match the hype

But none of the above are bad computers and a lot comes down to personal preferences.

I've looked at Ratio but not tried one and am on the fence a bit is has some nice fun features but I don't really need them

I was wondering about the ratio color model myself, just came across it.

Back
Top Bottom