Neoprene wrist seals - how do these work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am contemplating ordering a compressed neoprene drysuit to complement my trilam. Made to measure, with all the options I want, and it's under $700. Very tempting.

I think it might be nice and very convenient for temperate water. I.e. water that is just the right temperature that I could wear a suit like this, possibly with just lightweight Merino long johns, and still be comfy. Which also means warm enough that I could/would wear 3mm wet gloves, instead of dry gloves. No glove rings in the way would be nice sometimes.

I am looking at this: Neoprene Diving Drysuits - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

What I am wondering about is how the neoprene wrist seals work on that suit.

The forearm and wrist area looks just like the same part of the sleeve on a wetsuit. E.g. my ScubaPro EverFlex 3mm. My SP suit has smoothskin for the last few inches of the inside of the sleeve. This drysuit sleeve looks like it works the same.

I thought neoprene seals worked by having the smoothskin on the outside and then tucking the sleeve (or neck seal) back and inside on itself.

Is that how the wrists on this drysuit work and the pictures are just deceiving?

If not, then that means the smoothskin is on the inside. In that case, how do you wear anything with long sleeves under it? It seems like any kind of under garment would have to be pushed up your forearm to stay out of the seal. And especially if it was a thicker undergarment, that would be uncomfortable.

I have never had a drysuit with any kind of neoprene seals. I have seen neo neck seals and understand how they work, but this wrist seal deal is still a mystery to me.

Any light you can shed will be appreciated! :D

I don't know about your particular suit nor have extensive experience with neoprene seals. Caveat emptor, my experience is limited to one suit with neoprene seals. So my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

That said, no. Neoprene wrist seals should not be tucked. Neck seals, yes. Sure. But you'll see that on the seals. If the smooth side turns towards your skin, the seal should not be tucked. If the smooth side turns outwards, the seal should be tucked.

If you go for neoprene seals, you might prefer to have a bottle of talc stashed away in your gear bag. Neoprene seals are a bit more awkward to don than latex or silicone, and some talc on the inside of the seal will help.

Thanks. I do keep some talc with my drysuit, to put on the silicone seals.

My real question is how do you deal with undergarments? Specifically, long sleeves. These neo wrist seals seem like they would make it where you would be wanting to cut off your undergarment sleeves halfway down your forearm, just to make them usable under the suit with neo wrist seals. Which makes me think I'm just missing something here.

do keep some talc with my drysuit, to put on the silicone seals.
Huh. I've never felt the need to put talc on my silicone seals. That's one of the things I love about them. My neoprene seals, on the other hand... Particularly the wrist seals.

My real question is how do you deal with undergarments? Specifically, long sleeves.
I pull them up just above my wrist seals. There'll be some bunching, but not worse than I can deal with. Particularly if I distribute the bunching up along my arm.

Shouldn’t be an issue and it’s easy to add seal systems if you don’t like it, I would just pay the few extra $ and get the replaceable seals.

@Storker I think the talc is recommended on silicone to extend its life. Also, if my skin is at all damp/sweaty, talc on the seals definitely helps them go on easier.

Do you pull your sleeves halfway up your forearms? Or is an inch or two of bare skin enough for the seals? I'm asking because the picture of the Seaskin sleeve looks like the seal on the inside probably extends halfway up the forearm. Does it need all that contact to keep from leaking?

If you go here, scroll down a little, then click on the Gallery tab, there is a closeup of just the lower arm portion.

Dry Suit - Seaskin Ultra Drysuit - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

So, it really is pretty much the same as my EverFlex 3/2 wetsuit sleeve... Interesting...

Do you pull your sleeves halfway up your forearms?
Oh, no. Just above the seals (which end some 5cm/2" above my wrist joints), and then I try to distribute the bunching fairly equally along whatever real estate is available.

EDIT: My standard practice is to keep hold of my underwear wrist sleeve as I don my suit, then adjust the height of my underwear sleeves to avoid conflict with my seals, and finally adjust the bunching to an acceptable level.

My "old" suit was a compressed neoprene suit with neoprene seals. The neck seal gets doubled under in order to seal, but the wrist seals have the smooth part on the inside and don't get rolled. Undergarments get pushed up a bit and there is some bunching. I never found it uncomfortable though. That's because with a neoprene suit you don't have to use thick insulating layers. As a reference, I had a 4mm compressed neoprene suit and would use a layer of Patagonia Capilene 1 and a layer of Capilene 4 over that for water down into the low-50s. When the water warmed into the 60s, I would just use Capilene 4 or maybe Capilene 3.

You definitely want as much contact with the smoothskin and your own skin as possible. I found that my neoprene wrist seals always wicked a bit more water than my silicone seals allow in.

I used a bit of KY jelly on the inside of each wrist seal when donning so that my hands would slide through them more easily.

Shouldn’t be an issue and it’s easy to add seal systems if you don’t like it, I would just pay the few extra $ and get the replaceable seals.

I have a suit with replaceable seals. I am thinking of getting the neo suit as an inexpensive option that is simple and robust. Adding rings makes it more expensive and less simple. And, the replaceable wrist seals are not as robust as neoprene. Plus, there are times when no wrist rings would be nice.

My other suits have attached socks. I am thinking I would get the neo suit with the standard boots just to keep it that much simpler. No "spares" or extras to remember to take. Much less concern about ripping a seal when donning/doffing. Thin undergarments to wear (as I would only use it in not-too-cold water). Basically, a warmer alternative to a 7mm wetsuit. And, redundant buoyancy for technical dives in water where it's warm enough that I would not normally wear a drysuit.

At $1000 or $2000 or more, I would not even consider buying another drysuit. But, for under $700, it is very tempting....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom