Poor diving techniques I noticed during this week's trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Citation needed.

You don't like it? Don't do it. You want us to join you in not liking it? Show us some data that proves it's unsafe. Obviously, you shouldn't do this while under a deco obligation, but if you're within your NDL, then why not? Don't race to the surface. Don't spend any more time than you need while there. Descend back to the bottom and continue your dive on the correct route. You'll probably create far more bubbles exerting yourself trying to swim back to the boat against a current because you failed to do a commando peak.

Just because you don't like, teach or do a practice doesn't make it unsafe or even poor.

First, I don't really care how others dive, I am not a part of the SCUBA police force. My point to the OP was that as he was frustrated/upset to the point where he was counseling others about their dive practices he was employing a practice that is not necessarily the best either.

Second, where is your citation that shows this is a good practice to do?
The risk of a boat strike is increase as you do this, and so is the risk of micro-bubble formation...last I checked most training agencies recommend against a sawtooth dive profile. Heading to the surface and re-descending kinda creates that higher risk sawtooth scenario that can contribute to a DCS hit.

The problem with the "commando peak" is that I have seen divers and read about divers who do it repeatedly during a dive because they either do not trust their navigation skills or their navigation skills are generally weak. Each time one pops to the surface to see where they are going and re-descending they are increasing their overall risk. Your implication that one might exert themself swimming against a current that they would otherwise not need to is just an example of poor dive planning and/or navigation.

In the context of which is best, creating bubbles due to unnecessary exertion against a current, or creating bubbles due to bouncing to the surface....neither is best...what is best is organizing and executing a better dive, what is best is improving navigation, what is best is reducing as much as possible the chance of injury, illness, and death due to poor practices. What is best is not advocating a poor practice because we have thus far been unaffected negatively by it.

-Z

what is best is organizing and executing a better dive, what is best is improving navigation, what is best is reducing as much as possible the chance of injury, illness, and death due to poor practices. What is best is not advocating a poor practice because we have thus far been unaffected negatively by it.

-Z

Yeah, um no. What some might believe is "best" might not always be what is technically "safest". Your mileage clearly varies but if I'm diving a low visibility patch reef in 20' depth and some current I am *NOT* going to spend the dive trying maintain exact awareness of the boat so I can swim directly back to it without surfacing. I'm going to enjoy my dive, monitoring currents and having a "general awareness" of where I am relative to the boat with my *Plan* being to slowly surface from a depth of something close to that of a swimming pool, listen for boats, do a 360 at the surface, and do a boat check and a direct swim back at the end (on the bottom)

You could easily say that jumping off a bridge with a bungee cord tied to your leg isn't "safe". Perhaps @Zef, the "best" thing to do, in the interests of safety of course, is to stay on the couch.

First, I don't really care how others dive
By your following rant, it seems you do.

You made a claim that it was "bad". I've simply asked you for a citation that shows it to be dangerous or problematic. Maybe a case history of someone getting bent while doing this, or even hit by a boat as you have asserted this to increase those chances. Of all the people I know who do this regularly, I haven't heard of a single issue. I know that I haven't ever had an issue and it's saved me lots of swimming. Without any proof otherwise, I guess I'll give it the same respect I give the boogeyman in my closet.

When I dive, I go exploring. I don't stick to the common trails because they're common. I want to find something cool. I want to see what everyone else has missed. That means I'm all over the place. The Commando Peek works for me and my students. I never need to do this on a drift dive or when diving a wreck. It's usually in 20 to 60 ft of water on a convoluted reef system.

It may not be super double safest procedure but the probability of harm is somewhere similar to wining the big lottery prize. Don't ask me to quote anything this is just my observation.
I started seeing the surfacing to get bearings in the 80's. Don't know farther south in the keys but around Fort Lauderdale, LBTS, and Pompano is typically done on shallow reefs, where having a live boat circling flags would be the real danger.

Scubaboard is a funny place when it comes to theories. Sometimes the posts make me think of the religious people knocking on doors to tell you about the ONLY road to salvation.

Another started vomiting on the ladder and at least 2 other divers got seasick on the boat shortly thereafter- my guess is the overexertion on the surface is what did them in.
If the boat picked them up they will get sick on board and throw up just the same. Welcome to South Florida!
Why the heck didn't the instructor take the opportunity to do compass navigation which would have given them an easy swim to the boat on the bottom rather than battling waves and current on top?
Maybe the instructor expected the boat will come to pick them up, or maybe they ran out of air already. Or both.

If the boat picked them up they will get sick on board and throw up just the same.
Exertion can easily cause this. One of my best friends, @Moose towed a distressed diver @200 yards. The Boat Mate was all upset and screaming at him for doing her job. Finally on the boat, he quickly gets out of his BC, runs to the side and tosses his cookies. It went about six feet in a laser like fashion in a way I've never seen before. I immediately raised my hands, like I was raising a placard and yelled "That's a 10!" I cite the seas as viscous 6 inch waves. He hears this story often and I don't think he's forgiven me yet.

DAN cites exertion as a huge factor in getting DCS, but I don't see "Commando Peek" listed: Top 5 Factors That Increase Your Risk of The Bends

Scubaboard is a funny place when it comes to theories.
That's a function of the interwebs, not just SB.

If you find yourself without a DSMB and needing to surface in a boat congested area, would free flowing the octo create something that boats will recognize as "diver below"?

If you find yourself without a DSMB and needing to surface in a boat congested area, would free flowing the octo create something that boats will recognize and "diver below"?

Perhaps. Also count on some idiots to come closer on a boat to investigate what it is. I’ve seen that happen, despite a dive float and a DSMB being up. Facepalm.

Perhaps. Also count on some idiots to come closer on a boat to investigate what it is. I’ve seen that happen, despite a dive float and a DSMB being up. Facepalm.
In Miami, nothing will stop them from running you over.

If you find yourself without a DSMB and needing to surface in a boat congested area, would free flowing the octo create something that boats will recognize as "diver below"?
No. As you surface, even with a buoy, get vertical and do a 760 degree sweep. Don't forget to listen for approaching boats as you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom