Regulator setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which math is that? Rule of 1/3s? If a computer is doing the deco calcs off of depth and time...gauges are not going to be subject to battery loss or anything.

In tech, I did not dive AI and was not bothered by it at all.

Which math is that? Rule of 1/3s? If a computer is doing the deco calcs off of depth and time...gauges are not going to be subject to battery loss or anything.

In tech, I did not dive AI and was not bothered by it at all.

You can utilize button gauges on your first stage to backup your AI, just in case.

An AI computer can calculate a running SAC rate, or be used to calculate same after the dive in your desktop software, can calculate remaining dive time based on remaining gas/depth, and other tasty nuggets of info.

I think one issue is they can drag the cave/wreck floor or reef if not properly positioned. If they are close to your chest and on a six inch hose that does not droop, you are probably OK.
If the tails of the bottles rise up it can get pretty bad too. The lollipops will point down and hang below your chest significantly.

If you really want your gauges up front, consider Brian’s method. I have used this a few times and it puts the gauges up close to your chest, just inboard of your armpits. Super easy to read and out of the way.

I will also add even with gauges pointed down a s back, if you are using my flex hoses they will hang down and look like your comming in for a landing.

A disadvantage of SPG up is extra chest clutter. You see it at the end of that video with the two SPGs touching, or overlapping for me. I've had them get stuck inside the necklace bungee, or in chest D rings. Or form a stack with the inflator and necklace reg all under the reg you're breathing. Which needs to be shifted aside to look back. That isn't the SPGs fault, but their getting stuck in it doesn't help.

My tanks seem back and under my arm properly but might not be, or rotated just right, and 4" hoses might help. But managing clutter is a factor. Having them hanging way out in space increases the odds of whacking something delicate with them. I'm still playing with 6" SPGs up.

9" SPG down had cleaner tank positioning and handling. Transmitters would be nice.

I bit the bullet and got a second transmitter...was half the cost of new SPGs.

Now, the issue ismy Uwatec Smart Tec has a funny setup for multi tanks/gases that might be tricky with SM and having to switch between tanks:

The manual says that the gases used must be either bottom gas, travel gas, or deco gas. Which, if I want two tanks of say 28%...the computer may not like that and give funny calculations...thinking that when I'm doing a gas switch (just to keep the SM tanks equally bouyant)...it may think I'm supposed to ascend or something and not give me the right credit for using the same bottom gas. Hmmmmm

Anyone come across this before?

I found this info in the Uwatec Smart Tec manual in case anyone wants to do SM with Uwatec multi-gas computers:
Capture1.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom