Helmet over Hood? (cold water wreck)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have some (bump) helmet questions.
I played with a construction hard hat and found it (at least the one I played with) unusable for me. By time I have it adjusted to fit, the front sits low enough that I cannot get a mask to fit properly. Seems like the back of my head (where the little wheel adjustment is) is not playing along - or it's just the helmet I tried - but as just a construction hardhat it would work fine.
Maybe I get more purchase by trying to put the adjustable plastic webbing into a BMX helmet or such after taking the foam out... (like Andy Davis suggests on his website) but at that point I might also just consider buying a helmet.

Either way, what do those of you do that dive wrecks (and / or caves) in cold (and really cold) and warm water and prefer to use a bump helmet?
When in cold water do you use the helmet over the hood?
Even over a thick hood?
If so, how well does that fit (brand of helmet)?
And for you, does the same helmet then (re-adjusted) also fit you w/o hood?
No issues with mask fit in either case?
(I mean for cold water that's three things on top of each other sort of: hood, mask, helmet...)

P.S.:
I found two threads on SB on helmets in recent years, but have not come across an answer to my "wonderings".

Sometimes, I use this helmet (English comment at the bottom of the page) while cave diving, over a thick hood (water is an average 12°C around here), no problem to fit my diving mask while wearing it. Tried it for spelunking once or twice, so without a hood, no problem. Hope, it helps.

https://www.amazon.fr/Petzl-Ecrin-Roc/dp/B006U3PKYM

I have a toddler sized bike helmet with the foam ripped out. Got it for $10 on eBay. Works great with or without.

Sometimes, I use this helmet (English comment at the bottom of the page) while cave diving, over a thick hood (water is an average 12°C around here), no problem to fit my diving mask while wearing it. Tried it for spelunking once or twice, so without a hood, no problem. Hope, it helps.

https://www.amazon.fr/Petzl-Ecrin-Roc/dp/B006U3PKYM

Yeah, if I find one that might help. I am hoping to find an actually impact rated helmet w/o foam. Not that an impact rating would be needed just for diving, but it would be multi use... Anyway finding new, un-used suspension mount no-foam climbing helmets... I may be strange, but I hesitate buying such a helmet used, not knowing where it's been and what it was exposed too... will keep looking so.

I have a toddler sized bike helmet with the foam ripped out. Got it for $10 on eBay. Works great with or without.
Just strapping it on your head with the foam out or adding a suspension of sorts?
For diving with a hood a suspensin is likely really not necessary ... but it still has to fit that way... worth a look so...

Just strapping it on your head with the foam out or adding a suspension of sorts?
For diving with a hood a suspensin is likely really not necessary ... but it still has to fit that way... worth a look so...
I lined it with some strips of sponge, about 1/2 inch thick. That's just enough to keep it evenly spaced around my head.

THIS has worked for me. Mine is in orange (which I don't see on amazon right now) which complements my drysuit. They are knockoffs of the petzl vertex vent. Fits me with a hood on.

Some research divers working around sea lion rookeries in Alaska have taken to wear climber's helmets as a precaution against "mouthing."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom