spare air? i use one and i get laughed at

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yogavnture

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
ive used spare air for years.. i have to admit i sometimes come up with less than recommended air in tank so i like to have it when im doing my deco. and just in case i cut it too tight. i have a back up............i have the 1.7 size which as 5 meters i think gives me about 11 breathes. why do other divers laugh at me when i bring this unit along??????? is the chance of a dive reg or tank malfunction so tiny that a spare air is just not needed? if so its needed for me cause i sometimes come up with minimal air in tank left and i only do it in the shallows............so if i did run out i got 11 breaths to get the remaining 5 meters to the surface. and finally the 1.7 versus the 3.0. i have both and i suppose i can use the regs for each other interchangable? i think so. finally i see you have to get the units sent in every 5 years to get the tank inspected. if i take care of mine is that really necessary? what do you think about regulator on my unit. i have not had it inspected in ten years. dont rubber parts in them go bad? maybe i will go for an emergency breath and nothing comes out? oh well on my tombstone i put . I saved a buck!

I had a spare air for a couple years and then decided it was a bit of pain, and really does not give me what I would want in a serious situation. Now for ocean dives I just sling an AL19. If things hit the fan I can leisurely take my time getting up from 80 ft or pass off to a buddy for the matter so that we can separate during the last part of an air share.

I would not laugh at you. Would think about what the 11 breaths are at 90 ft.

I like the e.e. cummings remark. Let them laugh. There is nothing wrong with carrying a Spare Air. It might be better than nothing in shallower water in the unlikely event of an equipment failure. Scrupulous monitoring of your gas supply is really the only way to go. There is no good excuse for running out of air. Cutting it too tight is for fools. Depending on a spare air to see you through a low air situation is madness. Always leave a healthy margin of extra gas. Always.

ive used spare air for years.. i have to admit i sometimes come up with less than recommended air in tank so i like to have it when im doing my deco. and just in case i cut it too tight. i have a back up............i have the 1.7 size which as 5 meters i think gives me about 11 breathes. why do other divers laugh at me when i bring this unit along??????? is the chance of a dive reg or tank malfunction so tiny that a spare air is just not needed? if so its needed for me cause i sometimes come up with minimal air in tank left and i only do it in the shallows............so if i did run out i got 11 breaths to get the remaining 5 meters to the surface. and finally the 1.7 versus the 3.0. i have both and i suppose i can use the regs for each other interchangable? i think so. finally i see you have to get the units sent in every 5 years to get the tank inspected. if i take care of mine is that really necessary? what do you think about regulator on my unit. i have not had it inspected in ten years. dont rubber parts in them go bad? maybe i will go for an emergency breath and nothing comes out? oh well on my tombstone i put . I saved a buck!
This has been debated ad naseam in previous posts. I don't get your point: don't service the equipment and don't take care of it?? Please elaborate.

10 years without getting serviced...at some point, you're just lugging around an expensive paper weight.

Spare Air - Info - Questions & Answers

What maintenance does SPARE AIR require?

The unit should be removed from its holster, rinsed off in fresh water after every dive, dried, stored full of air, and taken to an authorized repair facility for an overhaul once a year. For more information, visit our Care and Maintenance page.

Do the 3000 psi cylinders have to be hydro tested?

Yes, all SPARE AIR 3000 psi cylinders need to be VIP tested once every year and hydro tested once every 5 years.

Send your Spare Air to us for hydro testing

Do the 1800 psi cylinders have to be hydro tested?

No, all older SPARE AIR 1800 psi cylinders (discontinued) are exempt from hydro testing, but do require annual visual inspections.

How do shops that refill these verify that they've been serviced?

I prefer a 19 cu ft pony, but whatever floats your boat. Had a buddy who used one. Lost it on a dive. I found it about two years later wedged in the rocks. A little battered but still functional. Got it back to him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom