How to? Make/Buy Double Regulator Necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 519893
ND...

The attached is a common hogarthian tec configured doubles reg set-up...minus a dry-suit inflator hose...

You can use a snap hook on your long hose primary/right tank second stage...to keep the second stage off the dive boat floor while you're dressing...

The necklace shown is for your left tank second...which is your ''safe second'' once you've passed off your long hose primary to your buddy...

NO necklace on your primary...remembering you may have to pass this regulator off...putting it on a necklace and lifting it over your head in an emergency is a good way to lose your mask at depth...and if the bottom is no where in sight...and you have no back-up mask...you and your buddy are both breathing...but you can't see...you're now in more trouble than your buddy who needed a reg pass-off...

I've never seen or heard of this double necklace configuration your suggesting...but I recommend you forget it...the last thing in the world you want is two tangled necklaces around your neck in an emergency...

As far as DIY necklaces...a length of small dia. bungee cut to suit...single knot on each end...secured under the zip tie on each side of your mouth-piece...I used this method for years...a spool of bungee in your kit is one of your best friends...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Or a fisherman's knot

I'll just forget about it...

I was taught SM Hog config (I have no plans on doing BM doubles or ZTD). LP short hose on the bungee and RP long hose with bolt snap to clip on right D-ring.

Problem

The problem I have with this, you are breathing off your LP short hose 50% of the time and when you donate during these instances, you are donating a regulator which you aren't breathing from (you risk a partially or fully compromised donated regulator). The other problem is that if someone was to rip the regulator out of your mouth, 50% of the time it would be your LP short hose. This may cause the situation to get more complicated through entanglement or who have you.

Why I was looking at Double Reg Necklace
So I looked into long hose for both LP & RP. I heard people doing this with 5' or 7'; however, the problem becomes entanglement with the typical LP bungee and RP bolt snap on right D-Ring. The only thing I heard that may make more sense, I heard of whispers of a double long hose with a double necklace. Although it had a huge backlash, which is probably why I could only find whispers.

I appreciate people holding their flames and trying to help. I know the community isn't very friendly to what isn't standard since it must be conservative to minimize our risk for our own lives and teammates.

Can you repeat that?

Can you repeat that?

When you are breathing from your short hose, if an out of air diver rips your regulator from your mouth, you are now in a compromised position. You need to swap the ooa diver onto the long hose before you both are in a good position.

I was trying to avoid getting into a compromised position.

@napDiver I see what you're getting at. And, I agree that there is potential for a problem. But, I do not thing double bungees is the answer.

My thought is that you could do this: Use a 7' hose on both sides. On the left side, tuck the excess hose in, like you do with the extra on the right side already. I.e. stowed under bungees, in a loop or two, on the side of the left-side cylinder. Still have that one looped around your neck and on a bungee necklace. So, if someone does rip it out of your mouth, they can pull it out to a useful length.

That just leaves the problem of you having no reg in your mouth and the reg you need is clipped off to your right chest D-ring. I think if you use the right attachment for attaching that bolt snap to the right side long hose, it will not be a serious problem.

I use one of these to attach the bolt snap to my 7' hose: Hose Clip Retainer

I have been using them for a while now and never had one yet that came loose by accident. The nice thing is that they are stretchy. So, in the scenario we are talking about, you could grab the reg that is clipped to your right chest D-ring and pull it up and stick it in your mouth without having to unclip it first. No problem. Once you're breathing, then you can unclip it and get squared away at your leisure.

@napDiver I see what you're getting at. And, I agree that there is potential for a problem. But, I do not thing double bungees is the answer.

My thought is that you could do this: Use a 7' hose on both sides.

This is an example of something that seems great on paper but will likely cause more problems than it solves once you're underwater dealing with an emergency because it'll make for some interesting hose routing and entanglement hazard issues. Keep it simple, just give them the reg in your mouth, get them under control and breathing calmly, then switch them to the 7' hose.

Pretty common amongst UK sump divers using sidemount config, not got an image to hand but they usually incorporate a breakaway o ring.

I have seen it done different ways, from necklaces with 2xmouthpiece loops on a short section of bungee off the main necklace, others have mouthpiece loops on the harness and stow deploy as preferred.

I used to have the former when I dived Indy backmounted.

My thought is that you could do this: Use a 7' hose on both sides. On the left side, tuck the excess hose in, like you do with the extra on the right side already. I.e. stowed under bungees, in a loop or two, on the side of the left-side cylinder. Still have that one looped around your neck and on a bungee necklace. So, if someone does rip it out of your mouth, they can pull it out to a useful length.

That just leaves the problem of you having no reg in your mouth and the reg you need is clipped off to your right chest D-ring. I think if you use the right attachment for attaching that bolt snap to the right side long hose, it will not be a serious problem.

I use one of these to attach the bolt snap to my 7' hose: Hose Clip Retainer

I have been using them for a while now and never had one yet that came loose by accident. The nice thing is that they are stretchy. So, in the scenario we are talking about, you could grab the reg that is clipped to your right chest D-ring and pull it up and stick it in your mouth without having to unclip it first. No problem. Once you're breathing, then you can unclip it and get squared away at your leisure.

I've heard and can see lots of entanglement issues. At this point, with the short and long hose comfiguration i still find entanglements. Maybe ill try it the future when everything i do is 100% muscle memory, but i'm still concerned from the entanglement during an ooa situation. Appreciate your feedback and ideas though! It gave me another idea I'm going to think through.

I use that specific breakaway bungee for my long hose boltsnap. Do you use anything to keep it from sliding? I find that bungee breakaway tends to slide a lot throughout the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom