Can I sew a label onto the outside of my wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ive tried a whole bunch of scuba goop on the suit and it always falls off.

Will sewing a label on the suit pose a problem?

Not sure about sewing anything to your suit.
If the purpose is to identify your suit then the way I do it is:
Put 2 bright colour zip ties on my zip pull, if you have a neck zip, put 2 ties on this as well.
Take a waterproof marker and make your mark on the inside label.
An alternative for any dive gear is an oil based paint pen. Wears off slowly but does last a while. I use yellow for my boots, fins etc.

if it is a patch, or some kind of plastic label, either way, you can use wet suit cement. Tape off where you want the patch, then use the cement (not aqua-seal) on the suit and on the patch (at least 2 coats), following the directions, then put the patch on the suit. it will be on for good.

Not sure about sewing anything to your suit.
If the purpose is to identify your suit then the way I do it is:
Put 2 bright colour zip ties on my zip pull, if you have a neck zip, put 2 ties on this as well.
Take a waterproof marker and make your mark on the inside label.
An alternative for any dive gear is an oil based paint pen. Wears off slowly but does last a while. I use yellow for my boots, fins etc.
Great ideas! Thanks!

if it is a patch, or some kind of plastic label, either way, you can use wet suit cement. Tape off where you want the patch, then use the cement (not aqua-seal) on the suit and on the patch (at least 2 coats), following the directions, then put the patch on the suit. it will be on for good.
Great idea! Thanks!

you can do anything you want to your own wetsuit even pee in it.is it ok to sew it probably not

I always replace any zipper cords or pull tabs with something unique to help keep someone from accidentally grabbing my suit. I've used stuff like lanyards from badges or something fun from the fabric store. For a long time I had something from Quantas and white&black pawprints. I try to write my name in sharpie on an inside label if there is one.

You might even be able to find an appropriate strap with your name printed or woven into it, if you hunt around.

Unit insignia are regularly sewn into wetsuits all the time.

Sewing is more doable on thin neoprene. On thick neoprene, sewing a label on by hand by just whipstiching through the label and the nylon layer might be the best bet. Thick neoprene tends to fight back against most home sewing machines, and usually wins, unless you have the right setup.

Reactions: Doc

Back
Top Bottom