No More Plastic Grocery Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plastics recycling is little more than a "feel good" exercise. It all ends up in a landfill or the ocean.
Sad, but true. :(

Have you ever worked in retail? Anyway, I'd rather bring my own anyway. I'm not the trusting type, and I would wonder about how well the cooler was cleaned each day.

Good Lord Dandy... You dive in an ocean that is loaded with all kinds of microscopic organisms, you dine in local restaurants where there is basically no enforced health code (throughout the entire chain from food producer to the end user restaurant I may add), you use the bathrooms in local establishments where there is a bucket by the toilet for used TP and, yet, you are going to let a common cooler filled with purified ice and water on a dive boat freak you out? You're one interesting bird Dandy.

Most Cozumeleno's don't flush their toilet paper, instead they dispose of it in the trash to keep it out of the treatment system.
Those plastic bags are very useful as can liners, and I see them in most bathrooms. What will people use instead?

On another topic, The most valuable recyclable is aluminum and the least valuable is glass.

Good News!! Bohemia Oscura and Clara are both available in cans. Yeah! I know of two places that usually have cans. Sedena and the Ched on the transversal.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

More posts not specific to Cozumel have been moved to the previously referenced thread. Please post your general thoughts about plastics and eco-health there. I'm going to just start deleting and not moving, otherwise. Marg

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread split done on posts not specific to Cozumel moved to here: Plastic recycling Marg, ScubaBoard Senior Moderator
That link fails, you know.

Most Cozumeleno's don't flush their toilet paper, instead they dispose of it in the trash to keep it out of the treatment system.
Those plastic bags are very useful as can liners, and I see them in most bathrooms. What will people use instead?

As of June 4th Soriana and MEGA were both still using plastic bags. After a few trips to Soriana with my re-usable cloth bags I noticed that I didn't have any trash bags and had to buy some. So naturally I started "forgetting" my re-usable bags. I do, however, refuse a plastic bag when I have my backpack with me and just put stuff in it and it's just one or two items. Meanwhile, I'm back in the USA and if I forget my re-usable bags then I'm in trouble.

Yes, the cloth bag replacement program isn't scaling as well as they had anticipated.

Between 5/24 - 6/4, I went to Sam's Club twice and only once did they have the big cloth bags. Plastic the 2nd time.

4 trips to Chedraui and only once did they have cloth bags.

2 trips to Mega, no cloth bags.

1 trip to Walmart Playa, no cloth bags.

Yes, the cloth bag replacement program isn't scaling as well as they had anticipated.

Between 5/24 - 6/4, I went to Sam's Club twice and only once did they have the big cloth bags. Plastic the 2nd time.

4 trips to Chedraui and only once did they have cloth bags.

2 trips to Mega, no cloth bags.

1 trip to Walmart Playa, no cloth bags.

Is the ban on plastic bags for all of Q.Roo? I was somehow under the impression it was only on Cozumel.

Soriana is selling the cloth bags for something like $16 pesos and they had plenty in stock, your choice of colors. We bought three and left two of them for the next AirBnB person. I forgot to look at the cloth bags at MEGA--I suppose now they would be Soriana bags. The plastic bags they give away say Soriana on them. It's funny, but in all the places I've been in Mexico I've only seen one Soriana store. I've been to two Ley stores (Vallarta, Loreto) and plenty of WalMarts and Megas and Chedrauis and an Aki or two so I was surprised that they were the big company that bought out Mega.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom