Is nitrox worth it for deeper rec dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regulators and tanks need to be specially cleaned and orings etc need to be oxygen compatible for very high O2 mixes. Really, all tanks should be O2 clean in case the shops are doing partial pressure blending (Pure O2 into the tank, then diluted with air... as opposed to premixing and banking nitrox).

But there are no equipment or cleaning differences between 50% and 100%. Anything over 40% is supposed to be O2 cleaned.

But there are no equipment or cleaning differences between 50% and 100%. Anything over 40% is supposed to be O2 cleaned.
True. I'm not certain what the poop is with regs. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could chime in on that.

True. I'm not certain what the poop is with regs. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could chime in on that.

IIRC if the reg is a diaphragm they don't recommend it for high pressure oxygen regardless of being O2 clean, because the diaphragm can be a fuel source. But piston regs are perfectly fine after being O2 cleaned.

I forget what the exact pressure cut off was, and if it depended on the percentage as there are so few companies that sell diaphragm regs for oxygen service, almost all diaphragm companies sell a cheap piston reg for oxygen service.

IIRC if the reg is a diaphragm they don't recommend it for high pressure oxygen regardless of being O2 clean, because the diaphragm can be a fuel source. But piston regs are perfectly fine after being O2 cleaned.
Do you have a reference for this?

To put it more bluntly: I believe that either you have been fed some complete and utter bovine manure, or that you remember wrong.

I forget what the exact pressure cut off was, and if it depended on the percentage as there are so few companies that sell diaphragm regs for oxygen service, almost all diaphragm companies sell a cheap piston reg for oxygen service.
XTX50 Regulator - Oxygen Regulator

Do you have a reference for this?

To put it more bluntly: I believe that either you have been fed some complete and utter bovine manure, or that you remember wrong.

*shrug* I tried to find it before I posted it, I can't now. But it was a limitation on one of the only diaphragm deco regs that I could find, I was interested in it at first because it was one of the few dual purpose deco regs, vs the cheap piston regs that just about every other company sells. Ultimately I went for the Dive Rite piston deco reg set.

...which is nothing more than a factory O2 cleaned XTX50 with yellow and green accents :)

No, that it worse, it is a M26 reg. :vomit:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom