Donning/Doffing Henderson Theremoprene Pro Hooded Semi-Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I searched the section to see if I could find an answer to my question but had little luck. Some of the threads seem to indicate hooded drysuits and wetsuits are just harder to get in and out of.

I picked up a barely used 2017 Henderson Theremoprene Pro Hooded semi-dry for a $75.00. I had little trouble getting the suit on until I got to the hood. That proved to be a pain I but managed to get it over my head by myself. I tried zipping it myself, but the zipper kept getting caught with the fabric(?) that you put your head through first before putting the hood on. My wife was able to help get it zipped.

The wetsuit felt good. Not much different from the 7 mm rental.

The real troubles came when I had to get out of it. I for the life of me, could not get the hood off of my head. I had to call for help to get out of it. Mind you, today has been the hottest day of the season (72 f), I am in this 8/7 mm wetsuit, and my wife is just laughing at me. Once my wife calmed down, we managed to get the hood off.

Anyways, any tips or is a hooded semi-dry just a pain to get on? I am doing my open water dives this weekend with my wife. They said the water will be in the 50's at pearl lake in South Beloit, IL. I would prefer not to look like a total idiot getting stuck in this thing. Your help and experience are greatly appreciated.

i cant help you. i got stuck in the same 8/7 yesterday. had to wait 15 minutes for my wife to get home to get me out of it!!!! haha. i was so hot, i got the hood off but couldn't get my arms out.

Had a similar issue with my new Hollis Neotek when trying it on in the shop. Had to get help to get it down over my shoulders. When I tried it in the pool the first time I added a skin underneath which made it possible for me to slip my arm out without assistance.

Hood part hasn't been an issue - the Hollis is a front-zip though, so getting my hands under to pull the hood up isn't difficult. If the Henderson is back-zip, I could see that being a challenge...

I am glad it is not just me. I told my wife she should have recorded the first time I took it off.

I used to use a Hollis Neotek, and I now dive a Deep 6 Makara drysuit. Both were really difficult to pull over my head when trying to take them off for the first time. I found that the Neotek is actually pretty easy to take off if you pull on just the hood in an upwards and backwards motion. With the Makara, on the other hand, I need to simultaneously lift the quick-change neck ring (as close to horizontally level as possible) while ducking my head down. It helps a lot to apply some KY Jelly to my neck and head so that my head slips out easily without getting caught in anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom