Advice - Red Sea vs. Raja Rampat Liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy1974

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First time on this site. Background: Experienced/Adv diver, but first time liveaboard. Done lots of diving in Philippines, USA, Belize.

Trip planned in Aug. I have already booked flight/14 day "simply the best" liveaboard in the Red Sea. I am starting to get nervous about the trip for several reasons, and contiplating cancelling and rebooking to either Raja Rampat or Komodo.

Concerns Red Sea:
1) General Safety: Recent instability in Eqypt/Yemen missles towards Mecca, US/Iran starting to flare up
2) Seems like the Red Sea diving is going to be pretty intense, versus say Raja Rampart where it is much more relaxed coral diving? Or am i wrong.
-The idea of the Red Sea is amazing, all three highlight dives (wrecks, corals, Hammerheads/Ocenanic W tip) vs. Raja Ampat being more Macro driven, with the occassional Reef Sharks? Or am I wrong
3) My concern with diving indonesia is probably around 1) Less chance of big fish, 2) After say day 6 of diving on a liveaboard will it start to feel redundant. 3) Will the diving be similar to a lot of my diving I have done before in Philippines in the sense of what i see generally speaking.

Not sure what I hope to accomplish with this, maybe just confirmation that the Red Sea 14 day liveabaord is that dream scuba trip, or maybe that I am wrong on my generalized assumptions / concerns with Raja Ampat, and that either trip would be a dream, or that first time liveaboard trip maybe the 14 day Red Sea is a bit to bite off, and Raja would be a better decision.

Looking for honest feedback, really interested in folks that have been to either location or even better both locations for comparison.

Thanks Everyone.

I found the Red Sea a little bit disappointing after several trips to RA. I personally find the diving better and more varied in RA. (I did back to back trips out of Marsa Alam). However, the diving was very good with a few sharks and lots of life. Glad I went, and would go back.

All that to say I would do the Red Sea - will be a great experience. Then do RA on another trip - it will be another great experience.

Can’t speak to safety concerns. There are troubles everywhere - heard there were riots in Jakarta yesterday. Last year I had no concerns in Egypt YMMV.

You are much more likely to be stabbed in London or shot by a disgruntled high school teenager in cleveland than hit by a missile in Egypt...I wouldn’t worry about that. No one it targeting a liveaboard when they can kill 10x as many slow old ladies on a beach. The number of potential dead isn’t enough to justify the suicide. (I grew up in Saudi Arabia)

I was at brothers/thistlegorm/wrecks etc in November. It was great, but the northern reefs had a bit of trash on them and lots of degrading wet wipes. Only saw one or two longimanus. I’m not convinced you are going to see as many big fish as you think you are..

Personally I would say, as you already have it booked, stick with Red Sea. You will enjoy it. I always get FOMO regarding other trips as soon as I book one or a trip is coming up ‘ sh!t....should gave gone to galap !’ ....but I always have a good time... which boat are you booked on?

I’ve done 2 weeks on liveaboard in the Red Sea and have also dived what I define as the best in the Philippines in Tubbataha by liveaboard. I’ve also dived Puerto Galera and then El Nido to Coron by safari, including the wrecks. I’ve been to Raja Ampat twice, both times on a liveaboard, and spent 18 days total on one. I return for the 3rd time next year for another liveaboard for 12 days in Raja Ampat. It’s my favorite...Can you tell? @Dan_T has been there 7 times. SEVEN. :)

Safety in Egypt, especially when you will embark and disembark the liveaboard, is safe. We had no issues in Cairo or Luxor and Port Ghalib or Hurghada. Yes, things make the news, but I felt safer there than in some areas back at home. I’ve been to Egypt twice. My last stint in September was for a month.

Red Sea diving is easier than Komodo and Raja Ampat. The currents themselves are stronger in Komodo and Raja Ampat. There was heavy reef hook usage in Raja Ampat, during dives and also during safety stops. Red Sea was easier diving. There were upcurrents and downcurrents at both Komodo and Raja, on the same dive. It is not more relaxing than the Red Sea. Raja Ampat is NOT more macro driven. It is definitely more wide angle. Large schools of fish like trevally, jacks, tuna, fusiliers, barracudas, large sea fans, hard coral, mantas, turtles, wobbegong sharks, reef sharks, etc. in fact, I was quite disappointed by the macro. There are some, but it’s by no means macro based.

I vote Raja Ampat/Komodo as the best, followed by the Philippines, followed by the Red Sea out of the 3.

Keep your booking as is. The Red Sea is better than Caribbbean diving. You will enjoy it. It’s beautiful out there. Dive that first before going to Komodo or Raja so you can appreciate it for what it is.

+1 for Red Sea LOB. Flying out to Hurgada for a week on Wrecks and Reefs tomorrow morning. Have done this itinerary 6 times before and one of my buddies at least 12. Zero safety concerns and super chilled diving.

I did a 17 day trip to Egypt in March, and have made a 28 day trip there previously. My advice is to make the Egypt trip.

Stick with the Egypt trip and save Indonesia for later.

I never want to get off the lob at Raja Ampat but it's much more than twice the price of a Red Sea lob.

I personally wouldn't choose Aug for the Red sea, especially for someone from a Northern climate, The sea temp will be very warm near the surface and the larger pelagics will go deep to keep out of it. If you're in an area with colder water coming to the surface, then you're going to be in current. Also the mid day temps will be around the 40'sC +100F and the overnights not much cooler.

Generally speaking the Red sea is easier diving than Komodo. Both Komodo and RA have big stuff, specifically Manta's - I saw more reef sharks in indonesia than I ever did in the Red sea.

Personally I don't consider teh Red Sea a destination, but that's primarily because even though I live "next door" in the UAE, it takes longer to get to the southern Red Sea destinations than it does for me to get to Indo - where the diving is much better (IMO) although the Red Sea does have it's amazing vis.

As for the political situation, from someone who lives in the region - I'd worry less in this region than I would if I went to a large Western city where I'm more likely to be impacted by crime

Reactions: Dan
My bad, I didn't notice the month as August.

Isn't that one of the best times for Komodo?

Regardless, it is not a good time for Raja Ampat .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom