Actual experience getting service on "internet only" regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that's possible too... :)

Sorry for overthinking! :)
No problem, this is a forum :) Thanks for the feedback!
So I will be getting my reg serviced and will be agonizing over my decision for the next year or so :wink: Once Mares fixed the problem with the high pressure seat the reg has been pretty stable. As an aside, it was Bruce at Carib Inn (bonaire) that id'd the problem and put in the redesigned seat. My old original lds would have been happy to continue to replace it with the same crappy design. Anyway, this reg breathes fine down below 100' so I can't really complain - toooo much.

The shop I was teaching for won't work on "Internet" regs. Their feeling is that they haven't been trained on them and their insurance would leave them twisting in the wind if there were ever a lawsuit involving said regs.

Of course, they could get trained on them, but they would rather just stick with being able to tell potential customers that if they buy "those", they won't be able to get them serviced "here". Obviously, they would rather people buy regs from them and then come back for service instead of buying online and bringing them there for service.

[I know the following is OT from the original post, but the thread seems to have wandered a bit to where this seems appropriate:]

Anyway.... if you're worried about it, another option is one that I just learned about and bought for myself. Atomic Z2. The least expensive regs that Atomic makes. $440 for a set.

I never paid much attention to Atomic regs before because I thought they were too expensive. I assumed their least expensive regs would be something I wouldn't want. And their most expensive regs were too rich for my blood. Recently, I was offered a chance to buy a set of Atomic gear at a very nice discount so I looked into them. I found out that all their regs are basically the same design.

The performance is claimed to be identical from cheapest to most expensive. The differences are mainly in the materials used, whether the 1st stage has a swivel turret, and whether the 2nd stage has their "comfort swivel". The most expensive is all titanium. It's the most corrosion-resistant and the lightest. The least expensive is the same basic materials as most other regs on the market. So, less corrosion-resistant, heavier, a bottom port but no swivel turret, and no comfort swivel. But, it still gives the same performance and has (generally) the same nice features that the most expensive Atomic reg set has (i.e. it still has the Seat Saver, the AFC, and adjustable work-of-breathing).

Also, I have found that the Dive/Pre-dive switch on my ScubaPro regs makes a noticeable difference in how the breathing on the 2nd stage feels. In my reading up on Atomic, I found that they have the same thing except you don't turn a knob for it. It's automatic and activated by increasing ambient pressure as you descend in the water. They call it Automatic Flow Control. I think it will be nice to not have to remember to turn that knob when I get in and out of the water, like I do with my SP regs.

And the Z2 is only $440. Or $480 for the sealed version. Very comparable in price to the top of the line "Internet" reg set.

I got a Z2 setup and just had my first go with it in the pool last weekend. It seems like a very nice setup, so far. I ordered the "wide exhaust tee" accessory for my 2nd stages and installed it on one of them. In the pool, the regular exhaust was like my other regs - occasionally some bubbles coming up in front of my face. I switched to the one with the wide exhaust tee and it seemed to me fairly noticeable how much less bubbles I had coming up in front of my face. Not a HUGE difference, for sure. But, noticeable, and I'm glad to have the wide tee. And I think it's cool that they have that option. The regular tee is more compact, so I guess that might be nice when packing to fly somewhere. it's super quick and easy to switch back and forth, if you want.

It also does give me a slight bit of comfort to know that I have regs that, if I get in a pinch (i.e. have a last-minute problem right before a trip) I can take them to my LDS to get them fixed.

Disclaimer: I just got my first set of Atomic regs, so I am clearly in a honeymoon phase. Take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I'm glad to hear you got your Mares fixed. Really fixed. And are getting them serviced. Now you can plan your purchase with no pressure. :)

And the Z2 is only $440. Or $480 for the sealed version. Very comparable in price to the top of the line "Internet" reg set.

The only two reasons people purchase "internet" regulators is price and the availability of service kits. Being the OP expressed no desire to self-service his regulators we can ignore that. So the focus is on price. While there are regulator sets that rival the price of the Z2 set Stuart mentions, there are several in the $250 - $300 range. For example the DGX/Deep6, DRIS Illusion, Deep6/Scribble and the Classic Hog. For this you get excellent performance, rivaling top-of-line regulators for the price of a basic entry level regulator.

Looking at Leisure Pro, I have to agree with Stuart that the Atomic offers the best bang for the buck among the major brands in the $400-500 range.

Coming back to service, as mentioned before most dive shops are not going to service a brand they don't sell. This goes for both "internet" regulators and name-brand ones. The OP could buy an Atomic or any other name brand but if his LDS does not sell the brand he still needs to send it off.

The only two reasons people purchase "internet" regulators is price and the availability of service kits. Being the OP expressed no desire to self-service his regulators we can ignore that. So the focus is on price. While there are regulator sets that rival the price of the Z2 set Stuart mentions, there are several in the $250 - $300 range. For example the DGX/Deep6, DRIS Illusion, Deep6/Scribble and the Classic Hog. For this you get excellent performance, rivaling top-of-line regulators for the price of a basic entry level regulator.

Looking at Leisure Pro, I have to agree with Stuart that the Atomic offers the best bang for the buck among the major brands in the $400-500 range.

Coming back to service, as mentioned before most dive shops are not going to service a brand they don't sell. This goes for both "internet" regulators and name-brand ones. The OP could buy an Atomic or any other name brand but if his LDS does not sell the brand he still needs to send it off.

Not exactly a good assumption that I have no interest in self-service :wink: Just probably not today. Hence the question on servicing. From what I have heard here and offline mailing the regs back to the manufacturer is a reasonable approach. Issues when traveling is still out there, but folks thoughts on spares or renting is reasonable as well. Hope to be retired by the next service interval and I will have the time to do stuff like learn to service my own regs!
Appreciate all of the feedback! I found it very useful. And I agree on the Atomics as well and there is another LDS near by that sells/services them and I trust him. So when the time comes I will have choices to make.
Thanks again...

Not exactly a good assumption that I have no interest in self-service :wink: .

I did not see you expressing an interest in DIY reg repair in your previous posts. If so then you are better off with a brand that allows you to buy parts freely and makes a product that does not require a bunch of specialized tools to fix them. It is also nice if they offer a repair clinic.

I did not see you expressing an interest in DIY reg repair in your previous posts. If so then you are better off with a brand that allows you to buy parts freely and makes a product that does not require a bunch of specialized tools to fix them. It is also nice if they offer a repair clinic.
Understand... I specifically did not go there because I was looking for experiences with getting service on this type of rig.
Thanks!

I don't service my own regs. The only issue for me, as unlikely as it is to happen, is failure of a reg while on a dive vacation somewhere. That could be in a place that can't service *any* reg. So, taking advantage of sales at the "online store" I have an extra first and second stage in my save-a-dive bag. I would have backup regs no matter the brand. Not a significant cost in relation to the cost of many trips.
I'm not a reg expert, but as far as I can tell the regs from that "online store" are as as good as any and less expensive, and their turn around time for service is a matter of days if they aren't off to a show somewhere.

Circling back after a dive trip and the damn regs still freeflowed! I did find the time to take it to a very respected shop on Bonaire and he tuned the second stage down a bit, but was not very happy with it. He said trying a rebuild was risky cuz he can't get replacement parts and the plastic will often break. He wanted to go in and mess with the spring. Granted this was a 5 minute look-see. He said to bring it back if I wasn't happy with it, but I just did not have the time... So the first lds guy may have been right that it is time to look for a new reg! Wacky stuff. Looks like it would be a 1st stage problem, but the ip is rock solid...

I found they will freeflow if you don't follow factory guidelines setting them up , it a very special adjustment from 100 psi up , you cant adjust them like you would another makers regs do it the factory way it works every time......................... SORRY I thought we were talking the internet regs I didn't read all the posts my bad

Circling back after a dive trip and the damn regs still freeflowed! I did find the time to take it to a very respected shop on Bonaire and he tuned the second stage down a bit, but was not very happy with it. He said trying a rebuild was risky cuz he can't get replacement parts and the plastic will often break. He wanted to go in and mess with the spring. Granted this was a 5 minute look-see. He said to bring it back if I wasn't happy with it, but I just did not have the time... So the first lds guy may have been right that it is time to look for a new reg! Wacky stuff. Looks like it would be a 1st stage problem, but the ip is rock solid...
I looked back through the thread, and see where you ever identified which older Mares regs you are diving. Care to share that info?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom