spare air? i use one and i get laughed at

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Following correct ascent NDL protocols...Spare Air will not get you safely to the surface from 130'...a diver would be out of air likely before reaching 90'...do the math...

never said safe...I said chamber or morgue. Im relatively confident most divers wont give a **** about assent rates and NDL protocols during a CESA. All they will care about is getting to the surface. At that point, math doesn't matter.

jay

@W W Meixner
You are correct, if you assume that it is used an extension of your back gas. If you use it as an additional few breaths during a CSEA, it makes the trip up less stressful.

**Assuming there is back gas remaining...

Not well written on my account, but what was in my head made sense so I'll try again for clarity. If one calculates the pony to replace their back gas at any point the back gas becomes unavailable one needs significantly more than if they only need enough to assist a CESA. This should be a personal choice based on knowledge rather than a product brochure.

**P.S....I believe the OP has used up his dime...He's probably sitting back laughing his ass off with the responses...knowing most members feeling on S-A...

If it wasen't him some unknowing newbie would take an undeserved beating, although these threads are getting more civil over time. Catch ya on the next one.

Cheers
Bob

What is this hypothetical appropriate sized pony bottle that will be enough for any entanglement or hazard one might envision? I'm figuring it is all dependant on what scenario it is limited to.

Years ago I picked up a spare air and found it did not hold up to the conditions I dove in so I went back to diving without. This is not to say I never took redundant air, but I needed to have a real good reason to drag along an extra 72 or 80. As I'm getting older, I picked up an Al 20 pony for my deeper, and/or more interesting dives.

All this considered, I have never met the conditions to use any redundant air, save testing the unit.

Bob

I know a guy that has two 120 cu. ft. HP tanks that he wears on his sides. Now as he said "I have enough air for my self and some left over for two other drivers", these are his pony two bottles. Yes, he said this in jest. "If anyone wants to laugh let go ahead and laugh." Do what feels right for you and walk away.

You could always use the spare air to block the beak!
Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

But what about the others? You are going to need a lot of SpareAirs for that as they don't hunt alone.

Holy Crap!

I need a bigger knife!
AFAIK, Scott Cassell had two dive with squid, one of which he had some sort of suit that looked like their prey (can't find the video). That ultimately wound up in the category of "bad idea."

Night diving in the Sea of Cortez in September isn't the smartest thing one could do.

Just put together my first pony with DIY sling, 16 cu ft (2 litre 232bar faber - surprisingly small), for my usual local 20m max depth diving. Can't wait to take it out.

I think there is no way around a pony or doubles if you after independence/redundancy beyond CESA assistance, but I'd rather have a spare air to sip on than absolutely nothing should things go wrong. I just think that if you bother carrying something extra, it may as well do the job properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom