Scuba Cylinder kills fire fighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone read the articles before making comments? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

"On June 24, 2018, a 33-year-old male career part-time fire fighter (Fire Fighter 2) died after being struck in the head by a pressurized compressed-air self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) cylinder."

"The SCUBA cylinders had been recently privately purchased by members of the fire department’s dive rescue team."

Lol...

Exactly.

@akdeepdiver Myles, isn't this an example of why the old style, single orifice, bust disk assemblies were replaced by the current assemblies that have opposing vent holes?
Yes. Note that in this case the entire burst disk assembly came out, so it didn’t matter what kind of venting holes it had.

What is the recommended practice for emptying a tank with a broken stem or handle assembly?

Exactly.

@akdeepdiver Myles, isn't this an example of why the old style, single orifice, bust disk assemblies were replaced by the current assemblies that have opposing vent holes?

Yes, the single vent hole pressure relief devices are now primarily used in O2 cylinders now. The school of thought with that decision is that a multi port PRD has a higher chance of a O2 fire caused by the multitude of 90 degree angles. Therefore the risk of a uncontrolled cylinder flying around is less than a O2 fire.

As for the actual incident, I have been trying to get information on whether the top of the PRD sheared off while being removed resulting in a direct exhaust path, if the threads failed, resulting In the PRD bolt being ejected, or if the PRD was unscrewed to the point that it was ejected from the cylinder.

What is the recommended practice for emptying a tank with a broken stem or handle assembly?
I'm guessing here, but I'd say strap the tank down securely to something immobile. Then remove the burst disk, preferable with something other than your face backing the burst disk. If it becomes a projectile, where will it go? Maybe something soft so it doesn't ricochet. (Your buddy's face? Dang, I'm in an evil mood today.)

I'd be reticent to drill into a full tank (assuming you can sacrifice it) or cut through the valve on the off chance it contains oxygen.

I'm sure the interweb has a more knowledgeable answer, as well as more competent (than I) Scubaboard folks.

I'd be reticent to drill into a full tank (assuming you can sacrifice it) or cut through the valve on the off chance it contains oxygen.

Here what could happen if it’s full of O2 and you try to force the valve off

For the average person...take it to someone that knows what they’re doing...which is what they alluded to in the report.

Contributing Factors:

• Unsecured pressurized SCUBA cylinder
  • Unknown hazards associated with old, out-of-date cylinders with stuck valves
  • Limited training and experience on the task
  • Non-routine maintenance on pressurized SCUBA cylinders
  • Selection, care and maintenance of SCUBA equipment
  • Inadequate risk versus gain analysis

I’m thrifty as hell, but I wouldn’t attempt to screw with a tank without some kind of formal training. I’m sure plenty of people do it, but again...see the second bold and underlined bullet above. How much is someone saving in this situation? $20-50?

For the average person...take it to someone that knows what they’re doing...which is what they alluded to in the report.

I’m thrifty as hell, but I wouldn’t attempt to screw with a tank without some kind of formal training. I’m sure plenty of people do it, but again...see the second bold and underlined bullet above. How much is someone saving in this situation? $20-50?

Thanks for not answering my question. :wink: I'm looking for advice on how this IS done. I am a trained PCI/PSI tank inspector but can't recall being trained how to deal with this situation. We had one of our students drop a tank and destroyed the handle assembly. Mike at PCI/PSI advised us to secure the tank and loosen the relief valve slowly. Ultimately we were able to turn the stem with a lot of effort and the help of a long nose pliers and pry open the valve.

Personally I would not try and do anything with an O2 tank with broken valve. That's beyond my acceptable risk level.

Secure the cylinder to prevent movement. Put on eye and hand protection. SLOWLY back out the PRD until you hear gas escaping. Stop backing out the PRD until you no longer hear gas escaping. Repeat until cylinder is empty. It will take a while but be patient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom