DIY Weights, first attempt.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WolfSpring

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm still starting out with SCUBA but I have all my own gear, bought used rental gear, and had mask snorkel from snorkeling and bought some good fins as well. When I went to buy weights after learning my buoyancy I was completely dumbfounded at why weights were $6 a pound! I thought must be Hawaii thing so lets look online, they are just as much if not more when you start looking shipping, even used they are 4-5 a pound! So I looked into making my own. I already had the big dipper furnace and all the tools to make bullets and had made them from tire weights years ago so I started looking at ebay for molds and found an old 3 lb mold for 20 bucks, picked up another 1-4.5 pound titan mold(love the ingot it can produce hate the mold grr...) and I picked up 44 pounds of lead ingots for 70 bucks, that's a $1.60 a pound! I can also do .375 and .457 balls but only 2 at a time and it's slow, but I'm going to try and make soft weights next. I know they aren't pretty but they are functional and more than 1/3 the price! These took roughly an hour to make 12 lbs and about 20 balls, though I wasn't focusing on making balls. The big dipper setup cost me 60 bucks back in 2012. This really isn't hard I did it in the back yard so if you are looking to save some money and don't care about looks this is the way to go. I'm going to file them down a little and have even considered using a sealing bag so I am more ecofriendly and don't have any pieces flake off.

look pretty good .i know a few guys that did this but they rounded off the edges so they didnt snag in quick release pockets less abrasive

Looks great!
I have two moulds, one for 4# or more if you fill it until it almost runs over, and another that will cast a big 12 pounder depending on how high you fill it.
Lead tire weights are getting hard to come by. I have salvaged a lot of weight off our coast after abalone season. Divers are constantly dropping weight belts accidentally. They never seem to drop weights when they’re supposed to. Many divers drowned and have been found dead on the bottom with their weightbelts still on.

WS...

Nice weights...having said that...

Sickness form lead fume poisoning is hardly worth any savings you think you may be accruing...having young children anywhere near your foundry operation is another problem...as lead exposure impedes brain development in young children...

Ballast is not expensive...and once you know where you're going with your diving...it's usually a one time purchase only...and after the ''newbie'' wears off...you'll be using far less ballast as opposed to more...and if you decide to dive doubles...even with a dry-suit...you'll need no ballast...

I dove recreational doubles for years/with dry-suit...never owned a pound of ballast...

Buy shot packs...much easier on the gear...and will last a lifetime if cared for...and lead residue/oxide is contained within the pouch...

You're foundry...moulds and box of feed stock is more expensive than any ballast you will ever need...

Warren...

Thats you...* Exactly...

Until it's not...*Why would it not...if an unrepairable breach occurs it's replaced...

We are talking about inexpensive ballast...are we not...hardly worth buying a foundry and cases of lead...not ot mention the health hazards that go along with the foundry process...

W...

I bought 84 pounds of vinyl coated hard weights on 4 belts for $40. Craigslist from older man giving up diving prior to move to Arizona.

Just get a good cartridge mask, the 3M ones are great. wear safety goggles, and use welding gloves. Put the kids away or pick a place outside somewhere downwind and away from everything. I use an old pot that’s dedicated to lead melting and a burner on an outdoor stove. It’s not a big deal and part of the DIY culture. It might be cheaper to find used weights on CL, but then you’d be missing out on an old school pastime of DIY your own weights.
Free lead is when it’s worth it, and if you have more time that money.
Shot weights are no good because each BB has more surface area than one single large weight and will corrode easier. They’re difficult to rinse salt water out of them and that will also accelerate corrosion and white lead oxide bleeding. Soft weights also are bulkier and take up more room for the same amount of weight as hard weights.
Soft weights are very environmentally unfriendly and hazardous to ones health way more than a hard weight. They should be banned.

I do all my stuff outside and I had all the furnace, which cost all of $60 with an ingot mold since 2012ish I used to make my own bullets. Before I started all this I read up a lot and lead fumes I paid attention, hence outside and usually at least a dust mask. As far as the shot and soft weights I'm using good size balls, already had the molds for that as well and probably going to sew them into some old uniforms after putting them in a baggie.

Does anyone know the effects of using a vacuum sealer on normal weights so the lead is not exposed?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom