Sea Sports Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HumbertoCol

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello fellow divers

Reading the forum you see everybody talking about either AC north of the country, the Atolls, or Placencia-South. How about Belize City? Searching online I found Sea Sports Belize shop, located in Belize City which is a central location of the country. You'd think this is an advantage because you could potentially reach North, Atolls and South relatively easy. Am I wrong? It's going to be my first trip to Belize in June and am getting stressed because haven't been able to decide where to stay to base my diving.

I was initially planning Placencia but read that it hasn't been very nice this year and low rate of success for Whale sharks, so now I'm thinking may not be worth to spend those bucks on that high risk and rather look for another place in the country. At this point the only thing I have for sure are the tickets to arrive and depart. Will be there 1 week Sat 15th to Sat 22nd. Would Belize City be a bad option? Too "city feel"?

Hello fellow divers

Reading the forum you see everybody talking about either AC north of the country, the Atolls, or Placencia-South. How about Belize City? Searching online I found Sea Sports Belize shop, located in Belize City which is a central location of the country. You'd think this is an advantage because you could potentially reach North, Atolls and South relatively easy. Am I wrong? It's going to be my first trip to Belize in June and am getting stressed because haven't been able to decide where to stay to base my diving.

I was initially planning Placencia but read that it hasn't been very nice this year and low rate of success for Whale sharks, so now I'm thinking may not be worth to spend those bucks on that high risk and rather look for another place in the country. At this point the only thing I have for sure are the tickets to arrive and depart. Will be there 1 week Sat 15th to Sat 22nd. Would Belize City be a bad option? Too "city feel"?

If you read some threads about people going to Belize City for the purpose of boarding one of the Aggressor Liveaboards, there are often words of advice along the lines of “Don’t bother leaving your hotel,” or “Get in and out of Belize City as fast as you can.” I’ve been there several times on a cruise ship, as well as to board the Aggressor, and would advise the same. Not a pleasant city for a vacation in my books, but maybe others have a different perspective. I’ve not been to Placencia but I wouldn’t mind revisiting Ambergris Caye. There’s a reason there’s only one (IIRC) dive shop in Belize City proper. It’s far from where people want to dive. People usually use it as a jumping ground to other places.

One of my friends lives in Dangriga. He told me once he only goes into Belize City when he has to - and tries not to have to overnight. He;s lived/worked there for about a decade. He dives out of Placencia since it's closer. Long boat rides though.

No, just no, definitely not Belize City. The Belize City airport is not actually at Belize City either.

Not sure of your budget and whether or not you are planning to dive, dive, dive or if you'd like some shore activity too.

Your timing matches up with the San Pedro lobsterfest, which can be very fun but super busy. This may affect getting a room on Ambergris Caye.

Consider Caye Caulker.

If it's dive dive dive, try to get a spot at one of the dive resorts out at the Atolls.

Also, I hope you are aware of the Caribbean wide problem with sargasso at the shore. I wouldn't want you to be disappointed by Belize because of it, when the problem is not specific to Belize.

If we knew your wants, needs and desires (beyond whale sharks, of course), we could give you better insights.

Thanks to all for the advice. I guess the fact that there's just one or two dive operators in the city, as @Dogbowl says, should be a hint. I'll stay away from there.

@chillyinCanada yes, my idea is dive, dive, dive, but don't want to make a hole in my wallet by going to a 5 stars resort in the Atolls. I'm traveling alone so don't care to stay on a low budget accommodation, as long as it's something clean, so I've looking for something inland which I think is the cheapest option.

Though, searching online I found Huracan Diving Lodge located pretty close to the Blue Hole, and have some reasonable prices (considering all included) compared to some resorts out in the Atolls. Any experience with them? If anyone knows of another option, not so expensive, in the Atolls I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks to all for the advice. I guess the fact that there's just one or two dive operators in the city, as @Dogbowl says, should be a hint. I'll stay away from there.

@chillyinCanada yes, my idea is dive, dive, dive, but don't want to make a hole in my wallet by going to a 5 stars resort in the Atolls. I'm traveling alone so don't care to stay on a low budget accommodation, as long as it's something clean, so I've looking for something inland which I think is the cheapest option.

Though, searching online I found Huracan Diving Lodge located pretty close to the Blue Hole, and have some reasonable prices (considering all included) compared to some resorts out in the Atolls. Any experience with them? If anyone knows of another option, not so expensive, in the Atolls I'd appreciate the info.

One of our Scubaboard family @Stoo loves it at Hurrican but it doesn't have any air con, which may not be a concern for you, but would be for me.

Caya Caulker could be very nice for you. Though they dive most of the same sites as those from San Pedro and the boat rides are a bit longer, it's a more quiet island on the whole but not bereft of restaurants or places to go for a bit of party.

And all that said, you could still have a very enjoyable trip staying in San Pedro but as I said, your timing overlaps with lobsterfest in San Pedro which may affect off season rates and/or availability. So if I were you, I wouldn't wait to make reservations for somewhere to stay.

Pick a few places and then feel free to run them by me, either here or in a pm. I'll help you to the best of my ability (no I'm not a travel agent. :)

Searching online I found Sea Sports Belize shop, located in Belize City which is a central location of the country. You'd think this is an advantage because you could potentially reach North, Atolls and South relatively easy.
Besides the already established don't do it, keep in mind Belize is a pretty big place, not some little Caribbean Island. Centrally located from North, South and atolls means you're a long way from all of them, so actually not easy. Would be expensive trips and very long rides for the places they do go.

As far as whale sharks, unless something has changed, the dive op needs to be certified to do that. I doubt Sea Sports would be since they're far away and don't actually go there. (Even on an Aggressor trip that went down south, we had to use a local op for the shark dives.) So you'd really need to stay and use an op based down south anyway.

If you do want to stay south in Placencia (and endure longer boat rides) Splash Dive in Placencia has some bundle options with several local properties. We kind of liked the look of Laru Beya a little farther north. Splash will also pick you up for diving.

My friends stayed in Placencia - one at budget non/AC apt. in town. He found it thru Splash. Ralph Capeling here on SB owns it.

They're also the go to for Whale Shark dives if you'll be there then - typically May-late June. My friends dove with 8 over 3 dives. (two separate trips)

Not much nightlife in Placencia so if you want that try Ambergris. A lot of the jungle excursions,. Mayan ruins. river tubng etc. is accessed from that area - Splash can set that up also. I believe Ralph's partner Patty has a company just for that now.

Hello fellow divers

I consider Belize City as one of the most dangerous cities in the world, I won’t stay there. Other places in Belize are great.

Traveling North, South or to the Atolls from Belize City is best done by flying. That should give you an idea of distances.

Have a look at ReefCI based in Placencia.

You can look at Off the Wall on Glover’s Reef Atoll, see my earlier report. Not super cheap but good value, and Saturday to Saturday is their schedule. Very companionable vibe. Not long bottom times, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom