Okinawa Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh tentative dive plan
July 4-6ths go out with Destiny Charters (thinking Kermas and Maeda Point), though I am trying to get a day to go out to the Emmons with North of Nago.
July 9-11 go out with Prime Scuba Ishigaki.
Many of the charters only go out on the weekends (certainly the case with North of Nago). Of course the military will have July 4th off so you shouldn't have a problem - just make sure you reserve plenty in advance. As far as diving the Emmons, you will certainly need a rental car to get up north. Ishigaki is great - did two days of diving there (5 days) but only saw mantas on one dive - kinda hit and miss during the summer. Keep your fingers crossed.

I can't wait, I've mostly been diving in cave country, so I haven't worn my shortie since I was in Mexico.

I can't stand hoods, but during long dives in colder water the warmth is worth it.

I'll have to weigh it out, this is the first time I've been total weight limited. And each segment is going to increase the cost. But it works out, as I will have spare weight for souvenirs (of the edible kind) on the way back.
I'd just go with your lightest fins then. The weather will be warm so you really don't need too much for clothing :wink: Unless you are here on business of course. I know that North of Nago has loaner SMBs but that really wouldn't save much weight by not bringing your own.

Many of the charters only go out on the weekends (certainly the case with North of Nago). Of course the military will have July 4th off so you shouldn't have a problem - just make sure you reserve plenty in advance. As far as diving the Emmons, you will certainly need a rental car to get up north. Ishigaki is great - did two days of diving there (5 days) but only saw mantas on one dive - kinda hit and miss during the summer. Keep your fingers crossed.

I have a car rental for Okinawa, seems like many of the guides recommended it. I am hoping I get lucky with the mantas, I saw a few during my Whale Shark trip in Mexico, but it was snorkeling only. I really want to dive with a manta. Particularly when they are feeding, the loops that they do looked spectacular.

Yeah Destiny said that the 4th and the 6th should be no problem.

Once I hear back some details from North of Nago, I am going to advertise the 5th of July trip to Emmons on the Okinawa group, just need five more people.

I'd just go with your lightest fins then. The weather will be warm so you really don't need too much for clothing :wink: Unless you are here on business of course.
Unfortunately have an event which will require me to be somewhat presentable. And about another 10 days doing to the tourist thing in Tokyo. So wet shorts and a t-shirt won't be the uniform for the entire trip.

I know that North of Nago has loaner SMBs but that really wouldn't save much weight by not bringing your own.

Yeah, I wish I had the cash to put together my ultra light backplate rig. I was thinking that might cut out at least 3 lbs off my current rig.

Is a guide worth it? Outside of Mexico where they are required and mostly stay out of the way, I've never really dived with one.

I've had decent luck in seeing eagle Ray's and sharks diving toilet bowl.

If you're diving the keramas with destiny though I have no shadow of a doubt you will see that and more out there.

Have you talked with Kurt about locking on the boat for the Emmons? It has been absolutely slammed the past 3 weekends trying to get out there. There is a lesser known Japanese boat that runs out to the Emmons, but I am not sure how to get in contact with them - Matt Deberry with dauntless would be the guy to talk to about that.

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 242
Is a guide worth it? Outside of Mexico where they are required and mostly stay out of the way, I've never really dived with one.
A guide certainly isn't required. The boats that I have been on here in Okinawa (the ones that cater to the military divers instead of tourists) don't provide guides. I was by myself so I got paired up with some randos.

Have you talked with Kurt about locking on the boat for the Emmons? It has been absolutely slammed the past 3 weekends trying to get out there. There is a lesser known Japanese boat that runs out to the Emmons, but I am not sure how to get in contact with them - Matt Deberry with dauntless would be the guy to talk to about that.

I emailed Chuck, he said he would start a list for the 5th. So if anyone else wants to get on, I guess email him. I don't know for sure as that was one of the questions I asked.

A guide certainly isn't required. The boats that I have been on here in Okinawa (the ones that cater to the military divers instead of tourists) don't provide guides. I was by myself so I got paired up with some randos.

I'll probably go without, I've never really dived with one.

I emailed Chuck, he said he would start a list for the 5th. So if anyone else wants to get on, I guess email him. I don't know for sure as that was one of the questions I asked.

I'll probably go without, I've never really dived with one

I'll talk with him and try and hop on the boat also.

I'll be the guy in the flooded blue drysuit.

I'll be the guy in the flooded blue drysuit.

So a really expensive wet suit. :D

I'll be pretty easy to spot with my missing leg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom