Left handed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you cannot touch your left nipple with one of your hands

I passed the test! No problem there. But I have to admit, I normally play with my wife's nipples. :)

I think I might go with a double bladder of that reason.

When you inflate, I would think you use your right hand 80-99% of the time?
Nope, left hand for almost 100%. Deflator left too, right not even possible. Gauge left. Clipping stage = left. SMB left pocket and so on. Does not matter although I'am right handed 100%.

the biggest challenge (for me) was having to have my slate on my right, along with my PDC. Not a lot of real estate.... This was necessary because of writing left handed. All other configurations was following standards. I thought I knew better, slinging right, but that changed quickly, and was no problem progressing.

I agree that both hands need to be able to accomplish multiple tasks, which can often be accomplished by either hand. There is little or no "handedness" in dive gear configuration except to identify which side something is usually on.
You don't configure your car controls any differently based on whether you are right or left handed, right?

The only item of note I will mention is buckling your weight belt in place, if diving with a belt and not integrated weights. We teach that the buckle goes on the left in order to achieve a "standard" right hand release. Don't switch it because you are left-handed, as the goal is for EVERY diver, whether the one wearing the belt or a buddy helping another out of their gear, to expect a standard "right hand release." This standardization should reduce/eliminate time spent fumbling around in an emergency while figuring out which way it was threaded.

I dive traditional recreation gear, but I suspect the same would be true regarding which side to set up the buckle(s) on a B/P/W for the same reasons.

I am left handed and my experience is that Left Handed people are much better at using both hands for a variety of tasks. Lefties tend to be more ambidextrous than Righties. In my case I have no problems using my right hand for standard right handed gear or tools. The only tasks I am not comfortable using my Right hand on are Writing or Throwing, neither of which I have much need for in scuba situations.

I don't know why you would need to change anything because you are left or right handed. In general, if it is attached/resting on the right side of your body, use your right hand, if it is on the left side, use your left hand, generally.

I am left handed and my experience is that Left Handed people are much better at using both hands for a variety of tasks.

I can agree with that. As age builds up, I find my self more and more leftie. To a degree that I start finding it difficult to do small tasks with my right hand. Like open zippers or dealing with "small stuff". Complex tasks I will need to use my left hand.

As is often said on here, don't fix a skills problem by swapping gear out.
Very little "handedness" in diving imho, I've never had a problem doing stuff with my left hand even though I'm right handed.
Practice makes perfect.
You mentioned diving doubles, you'll need to use both hands for valve drills anyways as it's pretty much impossible to reach your right valve with your left hand and vice versa, might as well get used to using both :)

As @JackD342 points out, standardization matters for things like weight belts. If you need help for any reason, you want your helper to find things where they expect them to be.

As others have noted, there's not a lot of "handedness" in diving. I suppose if you wanted to check gauges on a night dive, you might prefer having the torch in your left hand as a rule, but then have to use your left hand to hold the gauges. I'm guessing you could easily adapt to holding a light in your right hand.

I wish I was left handed: My BCD and the wings I'm thinking of getting have a lower left dump valve, but not on the right. I find it easier to pull a lower dump if it's on my right.

Back
Top Bottom