SeaVision USA Prescription Dive Mask 2100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
INTRO

When I signed my wife and I up for PADI open water, I knew that I would need to buy a prescription dive mask.

I spoke with the shop and tried on a few dive masks. The shop informed me that they could send the dive mask in for a custom ground lens, but with the amount of correction I needed plus my Astigmatism, I would likely need to go with a High index glass which added $200-250 to the price of the mask.

A different diver in the store mentioned seavision so I checked them out.

WEBSITE

The website is easy enough to navigate but dated. It didn't leave the best first impression. I read through the different masks they carried. Based on the description, I had no idea which mask would be the best fit. What did stand out was the price. At around 173 for the whole package, it was hard to ignore.

The reviews on the site are limited. Most of the recent reviews have no comments which do not help any potential buyer like myself. The reviews that have comments are from 2013 and earlier.

On the fence about which mask I should get, I decided to email customer service. John wasn't able to help which I can now understand. Masks fit so differently depending on your face.

After being on the fence for several months, I decided to pull the trigger and bought the 2100. I have no reason why I bought the 2100 over 2000 or 2200. I entered all of my prescription information into the website. I was a little confused about PD since my prescription had a number for each eye. I googled it and learned the PD is the combination of both. That said, I made a comment with the actual numbers from my prescription.

John form seavision was quick to get back to me and correct my order to reflect both the PD numbers.

ARRIVAL

The mask was shipped two days later. I was surprised by the turn around time.

It was well packed.

IMG_0275.jpg

The case it came in was large but solid. It was also nice that it came with defogger.

IMG_0276.jpg

I also bought a snorkel from them

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

The fit was ok. The mask passed the most basic test but failed a few others that I read about online. The skirt of the mask seems larger than the skirts on the masks I tried in the dive shop. My biggest gripe with my purchase was the frame color. It is more neon than yellow. I should have just went with black. My wife liked it since she was able to find me via the color.

I had no leaks in the confined water dives nor leaks in the open water dive, except when my hood was in the way of the skirt. That, of course, is not a problem of the mask.

This is my first mask, so I can't really compare it with any other. Overall I am very happy with the mask. Time will tell how long the mask holds up. I should note that unlike the mask a could have bought from the LDS, seavision does not use glass. Instead, they use polycarbonate. It may scratch easier but it does make my prescription lighter.

If it is polycarbonate like the hard plastic I have on my boat, be very careful with it. It scratches very easy!

My wife and I have been diving with Seavision masks for over a decade, with both of us with some form of vision correction.

She always had her prescription in hers, because I had Lasik surgery about 30 years ago, I started out with readers and then recently migrated to my full progressive prescription.

Can't say enough about them and their extraordinary customer service.

Congratulations on your purchase!

My wife and I have been diving with Seavision masks for over a decade, with both of us with some form of vision correction.
!

Glad to hear. There does not seem to be much about them on scubaboard or elsewhere. My dad is thinking about diving again after see my wife and go out. He thought his vision was too bad but maybe I can get him into one of these masks as well

was a little confused about PD since my prescription had a number for each eye. I googled it and learned the PD is the combination of both.

PD= Pupillary distance which is the distance between the centers of the pupils of the two eyes measured in mm, even in the US which has been slow to adopt the metric system.

Most PDs are between 45 for a child to 78 for a guy with a really big head.

You were given monocular PDs by your prescriber which is the distance from the center of each pupil to the center of your bridge (top of the nose). Most people are not symmetrical and monocular PDS of 29 and 33 (for example) are not uncommon.

Monocular PDs only matter for progressive multifocals for most practical purposes.

PD= Pupillary distance which is the distance between the centers of the pupils of the two eyes measured in mm, even in the US which has been slow to adopt the metric system.

Most PDs are between 45 for a child to 78 for a guy with a really big head.

You were given monocular PDs by your prescriber which is the distance from the center of each pupil to the center of your bridge (top of the nose). Most people are not symmetrical and monocular PDS of 29 and 33 (for example) are not uncommon.

Monocular PDs only matter for progressive multifocals for most practical purposes.

Thanks for those details. In either case, it is nice seeing out of my dive mask. The only troubles I have is I can't see for crap if I take my mask off. Does anyone stash cheap old glasses on them while diving to easily switch to when the dive is done? I kept my glasses in my mask case, but that was a bit of a walk from the shore.

Glad to hear. There does not seem to be much about them on scubaboard or elsewhere. My dad is thinking about diving again after see my wife and go out. He thought his vision was too bad but maybe I can get him into one of these masks as well

If your dad has a current prescription, you might send it to Seavision to ensure that they can match it.

Thanks for those details. In either case, it is nice seeing out of my dive mask. The only troubles I have is I can't see for crap if I take my mask off. Does anyone stash cheap old glasses on them while diving to easily switch to when the dive is done? I kept my glasses in my mask case, but that was a bit of a walk from the shore.

We primarily dive from boats, so I bring my prescription sun glasses and wrap them up in my hat and put them in a small dry bag that we bring with us (also has my wife's prescription sun glasses in a hard case, spare battery for camera, and a hand towel to dry the camera housing prior to battery change).

When we dive the cenotes in the Yucatan (only diving we do other than boats), same drill only the dry bag is in the truck, so sight unassisted usually for a short walk.

My husband and I have been scuba diving (and spearfishing) with SeaVision lenses since 2006. He uses their masks and loves them; I use a Tusa mask that fits my tiny face better. My distance vision is barely correctable to legal and I also need readers as I have aged. I am set up with mono vision ... distance in my dominant eye and correction in the other eye to read my computer. Works for me quite well. We do not hesitate to recommend them ... their customer service is quick to respond and their turn around time is amazing. Re backup glasses, we dive from our own boat 95% of the time. The rest of the time my sunglasses are in a protective case in my gear bag on the charter boat or on the beach together with a backup prescription mask.

[/GALLERY]
All - I recently purchase the 2100 mask and have to say "Do not buy it." The mask strap mechanism is a cheap plastic tab that is prone to fail. It can not hold up to having a snorkel attached to it. Mine failed on a 14 day scuba trip to the Philippines. I also have a old 2200 mask and the strap mechanism is different and made better. It has probably 150 dives on it. Here is my review between the two mask: 2100 Cons - poor strap mechanism, reduce lens viewing area, harder to get a seal on face, silicone rubber sightly hard on face. Pros - full custom prescription in mask, good quality lens with great vision. 2200 Cons - silicone rubber sightly hard on face (same as 2100) Pros - much better may mask strap mechanism, full custom prescription in mask, good quality lens with great vision.

Bottom Line - If your getting a Seavision mask, buy the 2200!

2100 = Light snorkel quality
2200 = A scuba mask

[/GALLERY]
All - I recently purchase the 2100 mask and have to say "Do not buy it." The mask strap mechanism is a cheap plastic tab that is prone to fail. It can not hold up to having a snorkel attached to it. Mine failed on a 14 day scuba trip to the Philippines. I also have a old 2200 mask and the strap mechanism is different and made better. It has probably 150 dives on it. Here is my review between the two mask: 2100 Cons - poor strap mechanism, reduce lens viewing area, harder to get a seal on face, silicone rubber sightly hard on face. Pros - full custom prescription in mask, good quality lens with great vision. 2200 Cons - silicone rubber sightly hard on face (same as 2100) Pros - much better may mask strap mechanism, full custom prescription in mask, good quality lens with great vision.

Bottom Line - If your getting a Seavision mask, buy the 2200!

2100 = Light snorkel quality
2200 = A scuba mask

I have used a velcro-based slap strap on just about every mask I have ever owned. You might consider switching over, I find them to be much more comfortable, and infinitely adjustable at that.

Back
Top Bottom