New Aqualung Flagship Full Color Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am fine just was curiosity , for my dive limits is perfect as i use as datas logger mostly.

In case you haven't heard of it, Subsurface is really good for downloading logs and viewing your profile. And it is totally free. It even has free Cloud storage, if you want to use it. It runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux, and it also have a free mobile app. And, if you use the Cloud storage, your log can automatically sync between all your devices. It's very handy for always having your current log right on your smartphone.

I often download my dives via Bluetooth while I'm still on the boat or at the dive site.

Subsurface | An open source divelog

Really? I thought it was quite normal for legal systems to blame an instructor. Particularly if the instruction received was not up to par...

1. You break the law and get caught, you go to jail whether or not you realized you were breaking the law.

2. You get your thumb jammed in a car door, you find an ambulance chaser willing to file a class-action writ against your driving instructor, their op, and the car dealership.

#1 happens in all legal systems. #2 is Only in America (tm).

Looks nice. Out of curiosity, why would one by this over a Perdix?
For one thing, it likely has a much better implementation of remaining air time, if it carried it over from Pelagic. And some may not like having to change batteries as is the Perdix.

In case anyone has not heard, the 750TC by aqualung is horrible with poor visibility in any light and even worse battery life. The 770 does not suffer from the same issues and is what Aqualung should have put out in the first place. This field seems crowded now with Suunto and Shearwater products that compete. Be careful what you read in the dive mags since they praised the 750 when it was released.

Some day one of them'll figure out rechargeable AA and a charging port. From past history I'd bet on shearwater.

Heinrichs Weikamp does that with the OSTC+ and OSTC4. Wireless (Qi) charging, and an AA-sized user replaceable battery. (obviously, it can't recharge a non-rechargeable AA :D)

No AI on those, though. Their AI model isn't quite there yet (and doesn't have a replaceable battery)

Heinrichs Weikamp does that with the OSTC+ and OSTC4. Wireless (Qi) charging, and an AA-sized user replaceable battery. (obviously, it can't recharge a non-rechargeable AA :D)

But it can set it on fire. Didn't they have one blow up at a show?

But it can set it on fire. Didn't they have one blow up at a show?
Yup. Any device offering user replaceable AA cells and charging at the same time runs the same risk. Honestly, any chargeable device runs that risk. Dive computers are particularly nasty in that respect, because they're build to withstand pressure, so they go boom instead of venting (hopefully contrably by design).

(on the show a Saft 3.6v non-rechargeable battery was put in the computer, it was set to 'Li-Ion rechargeable' in de config, and put on a chargerand left there. Chargers can easily determine rechargeable 1.5v cells, but it's very hard for the higher voltage lithium cells. )

Dive computers are particularly nasty in that respect, because they're build to withstand pressure, so they go boom instead of venting

That's one of the things I don't like about non-replaceable Li-Ions: they can get hot while charging normally. In a small pressure-sealed case without any venting, that can't be good for their own longevity, nor for that of the rest of the components jammed in there.

Charging circuitry should be monitoring the temperature of the battery and cutting off charging if it gets outside parameters. I know we have the issue where computers left in the sun too long will often refuse to charge until they have cooled down. Ditto for being too cold. One advantage of having dedicated built in batteries is that you can know the charging profile, and automatically monitor the battery state.

Allowing for the use of non-rechargeable batteries in a device that has built in charging is problematic. It's very hard to design out inevitable user error, and as ijdod says above, it's hard to determine if the cell is rechargeable or not when both rechargeable and primary cell voltage is in the same range.

-Ron

Back
Top Bottom