Actual experience getting service on "internet only" regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked back through the thread, and see where you ever identified which older Mares regs you are diving. Care to share that info?
V16 Proton. I think I bought it around 2003/4. So I guess at this point it doesn't really owe me anything :wink:

If it is free flowing after a properly performed overhaul and the IP has been ruled out, then yes the spring is one troubleshooting option. Not a lot of choices on the very basic design. Only other thing I can think of is replacing the adjustable orifice if it has a damaged edge.

On your 1st stage, it sounds like it had been serviced with the newer poppet valve, either current ACT or previous Tri-material. When the original poppets were replaced by the Tri-material, the HP seat was supposed to be upgraded, that was probably skipped in the past. With the old seat the Tri-material would have been troublesome, and the newer ACT would have been worse.

If it is free flowing after a properly performed overhaul and the IP has been ruled out, then yes the spring is one troubleshooting option. Not a lot of choices on the very basic design. Only other thing I can think of is replacing the adjustable orifice if it has a damaged edge.

On your 1st stage, it sounds like it had been serviced with the newer poppet valve, either current ACT or previous Tri-material. When the original poppets were replaced by the Tri-material, the HP seat was supposed to be upgraded, that was probably skipped in the past. With the old seat the Tri-material would have been troublesome, and the newer ACT would have been worse.

Yea, it was just overhauled by the lds, but I have a feeling he forgot that I told him that both 2nds were freeflowing, inconsistently so I'm sure he just did a normal service. If they had cycled it a number of times I'm sure it would have freeflowed on him. That may have been one reason he threw out the idea of replacing the reg...I have an ip gauge and verified before I brought it in that it locked up fine. The shop on vacation also verified that and while I was talking to him he said the 2nd was still freeflowing ad then said oh wait it just held. So I'm sure he knew it wasn't going to hold, but was just trying to get me through the week. He said if it was really bad bring it back and he would try to deal with the spring. But that he probably couldn't get parts if something broke - which he said was quite likely. I appreciated his honesty and he refused to take any money from me even when I insisted. He also was the one that many years ago replaced the hp seat with the new design after my 2nd or 3rd time having ip creep on vacation. Haven't had creep since. If I was going to be there for another week I would have let him play with it, but that job thing keeps interfering with a good vacation :wink: Thanks for the additional info!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom