Thumbs down! (TANK)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how would going side mount have any bearing on this? It still requires tanks, and tanks need to be hydro-tested...
I think he is saying since your doubles set has been broken you could consider something other than doubles. Confused me too, though.

RB is just a different thread altogether.

Once you're set up w/ a nice doubles rig - I get it - you require two identical size tanks. Having one fail hydro means you're in this weird world of finding a perfect match cylinder- so you can keep the doubles set-up going.

The weighting and buoyancy and trim is so hard to get just right - I'd spend hours obsessing over how to get back to that perfect trifecta again.

And @Warren I *think* the DOT has to xx the neck markings out by law. It's not something the owner gets to decide on.

In side mount the tanks don’t have to match, no alignment issue and you can travel with a minimum of stuff and still have double air supply. Don’t get me wrong I always make fun of side mount, nicknamed a friend “Side Mount Sally” it bother him so much he moved out of the country! I am starting to see many advantages over BM doubles.

I honestly have no interest in RB at this stage of my life...
I’m far to old to justify the expense, 65 at the end of the year, I just don’t know how many years I have left but if I were 10 years younger I would be all over it.

Basically, the hydro tester followed the requirements, but did not follow the "common practice"....

The "round out" id specifically identified for HP tanks, but not so for LP. Even if done, the problem can be that the tester did not let the tank "stabilize". The round out says 30 seconds MINIMUM, OR UNTIL STABILIZATION. It is more than likely that the tank, due to the galvanized coating, was still in "flux" at the 30 second mark, and they stopped the procedure. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

It seems, however, that my LDS is now no longer going to be using this facility...

Your OP said he ran the test twice. The first test basically served as a full test pressure round out procedure. Seems to me like you just had a bad tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom