OrcaTorch D850 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick_C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wanted to share a review I did for the OrcaTorch D850. Full disclosure, a few years ago I purchased a few OrcaTorch video lights (OrcaTorch D810v's) at full retail that I use and love and so far have stood the test of time. The D850 however was acquired at a significant discount for testing and review. I now use the D850 as my primary dive light and love it. I use my primary light for distance viewing when I'm not recording video. The D850 has a 6 degree beam and uses two user replaceable 26650 rechargeable lithium ion batteries. My 810v video lights use a single 26650 battery, so the crossover compatibility is nice. The D850 came with a battery charger that I didn't test as I have a couple of Nitecore chargers that I've always trusted for my lithium ion rechargeables (26650 and 18650). More info in the video: (When I took the D850 out for it's first dive there was an invasion of Tuna Crabs and they liked the light as well!)

Holy crap that thing is bright. Whats the runtime on it and when do you start noticing the light output dimming?
I tested the included OrcaTorch branded 26650 batteries that include a built in protection circuit as well as third party EFEST 26650 5000's (no protection circuit). They both acheived about a 3:20 minute total runtime on level 1 high, but the EFEST ran brighter for longer. At about the 25 minute mark the light dropped to about level 2 medium brightness with the OT batteries. With the EFEST batteries the light didn't drop to level 2 medium brightness until about the 50 minute mark. After dropping to level approx 2 brightness the light stayed at that level until turning off. (The light powered off when the battery voltage droppped to approx 3.3v in my test) The EFEST batteries also ran brighter than the OT batteries for the initial phase of the test. (I included a chart on the video) Level 2 brightness isn't drastically lower than level one, so on a typical 1 - 1.5 hour dive, you would be happy with the brightness for the entire dive with plenty of left over cushion. During my test when there was about 1 hour of runtime remaining the battery indicator turned from yellow to red. The indicator flashed red with about 5 minutes remaining. On the dives I've done so far I will at times alternate between level 1 and level 2 as sometimes level 1 high can be a little too bright.

fantastic review!
how can I contact you if we have the great honor to invite you to do reviews? Rick
if you are interesting, would you pls contact me at vivabuddy@hotmail.com

A little update. The OrcaTorch has a base that can mount a goodman handle. The third party pistol grip at the end of my video ended being returned as it wasn't compatible. So, I made a cheap DIY pistol grip with a PVC endcap, short piece of PVC and some fusion tape. The PVC stays with in place with friction and can be removed if needed:

IMG_4139.jpg
IMG_4140.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom