First BCD, want integrated weights, mostly for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am taking a dive trip in October and would like to buy (vs rent) a BCD.

The Cressi Travelight caught my eye. Aside from being cheap, it has integrated weights, and taking up little room when packed for air travel is a huge plus. Any negatives or competing models I should be aware before I buy one?

I am taking a dive trip in October and would like to buy (vs rent) a BCD.

The Cressi Travelight caught my eye. Aside from being cheap, it has integrated weights, and taking up little room when packed for air travel is a huge plus. Any negatives or competing models I should be aware before I buy one?
It is a nice BCD, just be aware the materials used are not as durable (and thus lighter) as those used on heavier BCDs.
If you are doing 100 dives a year, don't be surprised to put some noticeable wear and tear on it within a few years. Also, if you find you really load up the lead, then get something more durable. But for a few vacation trips a year in warm water, it serves the purpose well.

I have a travellight and have used it on a dozen freshwater dives. It is functional and easy to use. It does fold up very compact. The pockets are not the most useful and can be sometimes hard to access. If I had it to do again I would have given more consideration to a BP/W. Dive Gear Express and Dive Right in Scuba both have house brands that are inexpensive and well rated, although a little more expensive than the travellight after you add weight pockets.

if you want a wing instead of jacket i just bought the oms iq lite and added weight pockets come in at 7.5 lbs and compared to the aqualung hd that i had (same weight)but feels alot less restricting

I have a travellight and have used it on a dozen freshwater dives. It is functional and easy to use. It does fold up very compact. The pockets are not the most useful and can be sometimes hard to access. If I had it to do again I would have given more consideration to a BP/W. Dive Gear Express and Dive Right in Scuba both have house brands that are inexpensive and well rated, although a little more expensive than the travellight after you add weight pockets.

Being a new diver, or at least completely new to anything other than the cheapest gear the rental company can buy, so the choices seem overwhelming, and going to a modular system amplifies the number of choices. Do people recommend BP/W's for new divers? Everything I've read seems to be from very experienced people who switched.

I *might* do more cold water diving eventually, as I live in Ohio, but got into scuba to see tropical marine life.

I am a 'dense' diver - 200lbs but don't need as much weight as a typical 200lbs guy. Should I be concerned I might end up too heavy even without weights? I really can't picture myself doing any freshwater dives too warm to need a wetsuit.

I never understood the 'ditch weights in an emergency' feature of belts or weight pockets. I am not sure what sort of emergency warrants unsafely rapid uncontrolled ascent. But I don't feel experienced enough to challenge conventional wisdom, so I am not sure I want to move away from this.

There are BP/W packages that simplify the modularity overload. Links to a few of them are here: What do I lose with a travel BC. The packages may not be the ultimate fine tuned for you or the absolute most economical bang for the buck tuned for you choice, but then you get back into overload. But any of them is likely a decent choice.

Some details about being dense may help. How much lead with what suit and how much padding in your rental BCs works well for you? In a pool in just a swim suit do you sink?

Weight wise the big choice is between steel (~5 lb) or AL/cutout steel (~1-2 lb.) plates. The steel plate locks up a bit of your ballast in a convenient place for trim, right above your lungs, but typically leaves a fair bit that you can leave ditchable. I like some ditchable myself.

The next big choice is how big a wing, though around 30 lb is often good. Its not uber optimized for tropical. But its not too big for it, you may not even notice the difference. And it can cover a bit of cold water dives depending on your needs. Its a versatile size.

Lots of other minor choices but they are at the level of accessories, and are covered by the package configuration options. Integrated weights may be convenient. You can also go with a weight belt. Shoulder padding or not is up to you. Crotch strap is handy, you can leave it at home if you decide against.

My first few dives were with jacket BCs, I would rather I had started with BP/W. It is really not more complex to dive. If I were starting out my nephews, I'd start them in a BP/W, even if they only become occasional divers.

How much lead I've used in the past really varies, and I haven't dived (dove?) in a while, but I do remember it being considerably less than initially recommended and less than other people of similar size.

With a normal, relaxed lungs and no equipment, I am positively buoyant in a pool. I can go negatively buoyant easily by exhaling.

Looks like I have some reading - thanks!

I looked at the Dive Gear Express and Dive Right in Scuba house brands that were recommended.

Dive Rite appears to have discontinued their house brand, the package on their site is no longer available, and they are selling a Mirage BP/W Package.

Dive Gear Express has eight base packages with metal plates, five base packages with soft plates and three base packages from Hogwarts - each one with many customization options. Even if I can learn all the options before October, that's just 1 brand.

Among the DGX pages, there are three brands: OMS, DGX, and Dive Rite. None are likely to have reduced lifespans. The soft plate ones are a bit less versatile. The hogarthian ones are more bare bones, so less friendly for those new to BP/W. I would focus on the 'Metal plate' page, skipping those for doubles. That leaves the DGX travel, two OMS, and two Dive Rite Transplate. The DGX one is cheaper, but they do not thread it for you.... The Transplate is more commonly discussed than the OMS. DGX threads it and the OMS. Dive Right In Scuba (DRIS) threads a similar DiveRite package, but with more options. So looking at the DGX and the threaded for you DiveRite Transplate packages.

- Plate: I'd go with metal plate, not fabric or transpac, for versatility. Aluminum or cutout steel for more flexibility in placing ballast for trim. If you know you need a more generous lead load (not you, being dense), go with the solid steel plate as you'll still have lead to play with for trim and ditching.

- Integrated: A common option is DiveRite 8 lb each side. That is a lot, but provides generous capacity, and has quick release. Could also go with DR 4lb travel lock on each side, but that would be more fine tuned and not as default fast release. I like some ditchable, possibly for surface ditching, but it could be integrated or a belt. Belt has advantages of lightening the rig weight out of the water.

- Trim: 2x DGX trim pockets - To put on top tank strap for trim weights. Trim *really* makes diving easier. This gives two places to distribute lead between, the trim pockets and the ditchable pockets/belt, instead of being stuck with whatever trim the plate + integrated or belt gives you.

* Low cost:
DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package $458 + $20 for 2x DGX trim pockets
- Plate: Aluminum
- Pads: No. More stuff to dry out. Even a thin suit provides padding.
- Weights: DR Quick Buckle 16lb
Pros: Cheapest package? Few confusing options. Good quality.
Cons: Harness not threaded for you. Threading is simple, but you may not want to.

The Mirage may be fine as well, at similar cost. I have not heard of that wing. It can be pre threaded. Mirage 23/38lb BP/W Package

* Pre Threaded, DiveRite.
Dive Right In Scuba's Transplate XT Travel Package $699 + $20 for 2x DGX trim
- Web it: yes
- Harness size: how much web length they leave, presumably with a bit extra.
- Plate: XT Lite
- Wing: Voyager EXP 35 lb
The 25 lb likely suffices, but the 35 lb covers more environments.
Rec is more special purpose, XTs are extra heavy duty versions.
- LP hose: 15" this is a bit shorter than rec normal, but less clutter.
- Inflator: 12" w/ Elbow - matching the LP hose length
- Weights: DR Quick Buckle 16lb
- Cam straps: yes
- Crotch: 1.5" (size is not critical, padding just seems more to dry.)
- Harness: TransPlate XT
Pros: Threads the harness for you. Might be more solid.
Cons: $240 more expensive. This the XT harness is more complex (padding and D rings) than needed.

DRIS has a BP/W configurator, BP/W Package Configurator that threads the harness. But it leaves you to add cam bands, inflator hose, and integrated pockets. Or the Basic Harness BPW package $598, which has a simple harness but the solid steel plate, they might be happy to switch it for the cutout plate.

DGX also threads their Transplate at similar cost, but with a pull-to-dump inflator. Yanking on your lift device all the time to vent it is an unnecessary aggravation to it, best to just skip that approach.

Deep6 is another option: Deep 6 Single Tank Backplate and Wing Package $489.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom