First Regulator, Bahama's trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I signed up for a dive trip in the Bahama's in October. I really don't have any equipment. The store coordinating the trip, which profits selling and servicing regulators, tried to get me to buy an Aqualung Legend. It seems a step up from what I was looking for - however the store's selling points were:

1) Any regulator is going to need servicing - usually annual inspections and biannual replacement of o-rings and other parts. Having the Legend serviced with their shop under warranty would be cheaper in the long run. This is a serious concern, they aren't the only dive shop, but being in Ohio, my options are limited. I don't know what other brands they will service, or if they will charge more.

2) A sealed regulator will last far longer if I am doing mainly saltwater diving. I am skeptical on this, as I am not diving every day, and small parts are being replaced every other year. I certainly could see a poorly made off brand reg corroding quickly, but any reg from a reputable brand designed for saltwater should last my entire diving career.

Money isn't ridiculously tight or I wouldn't be diving, and I understand how you could lose money on cheap gear that costs too much to service or I decide to upgrade on my 2nd trip. But I would rather start with more basic gear, and upgrade as my preferences change over time. I will have a lot more money in 2 years than I do now.

I am inclined to take their advice on this - they did not try to push me into any specific dive computer, octo, bcd, wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel, etc. They are happy to sell me gear, but seem to understand most people buying cheaper and better selection online.

apex regulators if you get them serviced every year you get the replacement parts for free and what i was told that the service kit are worth as much as the service job.i started with the "at 20"s and they are good to 50F but i upgrades to the xl4s cause i am doing cold water dives more .serviced annually even when not used much for the piece of mind .as for aqualung i would ask if the service kit is free with the service because both are sold by aqualung

The "Free Parts for Life" program in the US applies to both Aqualung and Apeks brands when purchased from an authorized dealer in the US, and applies to all models sold. Current MSRP for the kits for a Legend (plus a Legend Octo) is $66.
The "need" for an environmentally sealed 1st stage regarding salt and sand is almost entirely within your control. If you are religious about properly rinsing and soaking your gear, then there is not so much benefit from that. (although if you are diving in an environment with a lot of sand and grit in the water, I suppose you could be adding some wear to the exposed moving parts that are grinding on that debris.) If you are blasé about caring for your gear, then it gets nasty quicker without the environmental seal.
The Aqulaung Core Supreme is also environmentally sealed, and a bit less pricey than the Legend. Having said that, the Legend is a great regulator, and if it doesn't bruise your wallet too severely don't work too hard to talk yourself out of it.

I am inclined to take their advice on this - they did not try to push me into any specific dive computer, octo, bcd, wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel, etc. They are happy to sell me gear, but seem to understand most people buying cheaper and better selection online.

Let the buyer beware, especially in Scuba. The shop knows that most people drop the hobby after a few years so they have one chance to sell you. In two years, you may be left the hobby already.

Parts for life is a gimmick to sell regulators. It may be worthwhile if you lived in Florida and dove every weekend. Living in Ohio and during a few trips a year I don't see it. Also parts for life is available from any authorized dealer not just them.

As far as sealed regulators lasting much longer, that is BS. Especially on a diaphragm first stage where the water does not enter the inside of the regulator. All Aqualung regulators are diaphragm except for the Calypso. Also they all may be CE cold water certified also. Clean the regulator and you will have no problems.

If you stick with name brands there is no junk on the market. The liability risk is to high to sell crap. A Titan will last you just as long as a Legend. It just won't breath as well.

I am not a big fan of the Aqualung line. I would recommend the Core in their line. That is the best value. If you want sealed then you can get the Core Supreme or maybe a closeout Glacia if they are willing to deal. In the Apeks line, which I am a fan of, I would recommend the ATX-40, it is not beautiful but it works well. The XTX-50 DST is more pricey but you will never need to buy another regulator.

I am a huge fan of aqua lung, I will dive my conshelfs until o can no longer find the parts to service them, an that’s. It happening anytime soon. BUT the legend is overpriced for what you get. My primary bottom mix, and stage regsbare now all dive rite, and I’m not looking back. Your getting a better price, for a product that is just meant to be a workhorse. Any tech should be able to service them, you can also get the service components yourself.

All Aqualung regulators are diaphragm except for the Calypso. Also they all may be CE cold water certified also. Clean the regulator and you will have no problems.

The current Titan model is not CE cold water certified..The Calypso and the Core Supreme are.

-Z

The current Titan model is not CE cold water certified..The Calypso is and the Core Supreme are.

-Z
Exactly.

I'm in Ohio. Just ordered first regs for myself and the wife. We dive Roatan every year and 1 other varying destination - but all warm water. Went with Deep 6 signatures and looking forward to using them. We've been on rental gear for the last few years!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom