SMB Reel Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOTE="Hatul, post: 8648297, member: 30323]Also I think it's not good idea to inflate with the BC inflator hose

Not only is disconnecting the inflator hose and using it to inflate an SMB a terrible idea it's also impossible.[/QUOTE]

This couldn’t be more incorrect. There are a bunch of smb’s that allow you to use your BC hose to fill it. They all use a non connecting valve on the oral inflator. You can slide your BC hose right over it, It inflates instantly and will slide right off the hose since it doesn’t physically connect to the BC hose.

Sorry wasn't aware there are compatible valves on some SMBS still doesn't seem like a great idea to disconnect the LP hose from the BCD especially when deploying an SMB it's going to be tricky to reconnect it.

Sorry wasn't aware of that!

No worries. And personally I don’t know how easy or hard it would be to fill that way. I would prefer to still inflate orally, but it’s always nice to have more options. I’ve had to remove the BC hose under water before because of a slight leak at the fitting of the inflator, reconnected and bubbles were gone. I just don’t know how fast it would fill an smb.

No worries. And personally I don’t know how easy or hard it would be to fill that way. I would prefer to still inflate orally, but it’s always nice to have more options. I’ve had to remove the BC hose under water before because of a slight leak at the fitting of the inflator, reconnected and bubbles were gone. I just don’t know how fast it would fill an smb.
Orally inflating is the most buoyancy neutral method, because it moves the same quantity of air from your lungs into the SMB. Initially there should be no change in buoyancy, until the air in the SMB expands as it rises.

Inflating off an LP hose is not uncommon. Most (but not all) oral inflation valves are compatible with LP hoses.

They’re not difficult to use, and for many in cold water, FFM, or rebreather users, it’s the only way to inflate.

There’s nothing wrong with doing it. I find it easier to use my lips unless necessary (primarily if I’m on my rebreather) but if I have my large SMB I’ll pop off my LP hose and shoot it that way. It’s much faster to get a larger quantity of gas into the sausage.

Disconnecting and reconnecting an LP hose should never be an issue. That’s a skills issue, not an equipment issue.

@ggunn Hey Gordon - can I ask under what circumstances you deployed your SMB? Did you begin your ascent before or after the DM? Did the current separate you significantly from the group? Thanks.

Once it was for practice (I don't get to dive that often), twice it was for called dives for equipment issues, and twice it was because we got low on air before the rest and the current swept us away from them as we ascended.

Back
Top Bottom