Tank Band - Does Webbing Size Matter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use stainless steel hose clamps. Some are in a sheath that came with the clamp, and others are placed on a strip of inner tube that is cut a little bigger than the clamp and slipped over the tank. I slip some plastic tubing over the screw/clamp part. Before that I used 2" webbing FWIW.

in the big scheme of things, doesn't really matter...........if youre travelling, lighter is usually preferred. Although, when I travel I just bring the hose clamps and a small nut driver, its lighter, packs smaller and doesn't take much longer to swap out.

Hmmm you are absolutely correct. I already bring the tools so I'm going to give this a try. It is so much lighter, cheaper, and secure. I just thought it would be a pain, but now that i think about it, It should only take seconds longer to install.

They lie......out of pity.

:rofl3:

RIP my confidence

One of those things where pure physics and the real world don't always align. If it did we'd all be driving high powered sports cars on 1" wide tyres. The wider band probably maintains better contact under any kind of non-perfect load, i.e. real world use.

Tires get mechanical keying with the road, I don’t think much of that is happening on cylinders.

I suspect clamping force plays a much larger part than does surface area for cam bands.

I don’t have any actual data, just thinking out loud here

Take a sheet of 400 grit 3M wet-or-dry sandpaper. Cut off a full length 4" wide piece and fold it over, back to back, so the grit is facing out on both sides. Now use some contact cement or Aquaseal to glue it together that way, so there's abrasive on both sides.

If you slip that between whatever band you are using and a tank, it will increase the grip very nicely. Might scuff the paint but you can't have everything. And of course if you are using nylon straps, pre-wet them, because nylon actually stretches when it gets wet, so the bands get looser.

I suspect clamping force plays a much larger part than does surface area for cam bands.

That's why I like the large stainless cams on the band.

Another issue is that divers put on the BC on the tank when vertical. The band sags a little and will tighten but once in the water straightens out and loosens. When I dove with a jacket, I would lay the unit down, make sure the strap was straight, then tighten with the pissant plastic buckle and never had it come loose. With two bands it dosent seem to be a problem.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom