Upcoming Trip Malapascua and Alona Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiva729

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,
Have an upcoming trip end of July/beginning of Aug for our honeymoon.

Everything is set, but was curious about a couple of things:

For those that went from Malapascua to Alona or vice versa- how long total is the trip. We have all our ferries/pickups arranged through our resorts, but was just curious how long the entire journey is (obviously know with traffic it could be longer/shorter).

Next thing- money exchange- where is the best place to do this. Obviously we need cash for the sanctuary fees.

Final question- is there ANY dives that are a MUST at either location besides the obvious thresher shark dive in Malapascua and Balicasag from Alona. I know with our resort/dive center in Alona there is an option for a trip Cabilao- is this worth it?

If the resort puts you on a ferry from Bohol to Cebu , I would expect the trip to be about eight hours in total , plus or minus an hour. If they put you on a private dive boat it may be a little shorter. But traveling around lets you see some of the islands , with a private transfer you can stop whenever you want , nap , listen to music etc etc. Tourism is booming in the Philippines , great for the economy and the people and preserving the marine life. But it means lots of roadworks and work on infrastructure.

We loved Gato Island and Chocolate Island. Monad shoal is fantastic. Balicasag is wonderful , so many turtles. We haven’t been to Cabilao , but friends have and they loved it. Malapascua and Bohol are wonderful destinations.

Enjoy your Honeymoon and I hope the wedding goes brilliantly !

You might find my trip report from Malapascu/Alona/Balicasag helpful.

We left our resort on Malapascua at 10 am, reached the 4.20 pm ferry, crossing takes 2 hours, then 30 min to hotel.

Money exchange or ATM? Best ATM is HSBC - cheaper in fee, and you can get 40.000 php. We did exchange a little bit in Manila airport, not too bad on the exchange rate. Lots of exchange booths in Cebu. Not sure about Malapascua, as we never left the resort other than to go diving.

Gator Island and Kalanggaman Island was great together with (of course) monad shoal. If you haven't seen mandarin fishes, the night dive at light house is good for that, we also loved our night dive at Ka-Ostring - one of the best we ever did.

Remember to pre book for Balicasag.

Reactions: Zef
For your honeymoon, stay at Tapanee resort on Malapasqua. Try to get a seaview room. Breakfast was great, try Nutella crapes.
Thresher Shark Divers are always professional, and have a separate mooring on Monad shoal, away from more divers. They can arrange your transport from Cebu to the island. I travel with lots of scuba and camera gear so public transport is not an option.

I will also recommend Gato island....the drift dive through the canyon under the island was exciting and both times we dived there a few years ago there were reef sharks at the other end swimming in figure 8 patterns within the reef. It was great to just hover there and watch them for 10+ minutes. There is some beautiful soft corals in the area and beautiful sea snakes as well.

-Z

For your honeymoon, stay at Tapanee resort on Malapasqua. Try to get a seaview room. Breakfast was great, try Nutella crapes.
Thresher Shark Divers are always professional, and have a separate mooring on Monad shoal, away from more divers. They can arrange your transport from Cebu to the island. I travel with lots of scuba and camera gear so public transport is not an option.

Thank you! We are actually staying at Tapanee and diving with Thresher Shark Divers. They have been great organizing everything for me.

There are no ATMs or Money change on Malapascua so change money at the airport before hand or ask your driver to stop enroute at an ATM. TSD do take credit card for sanctuary fees and any drinks/ meals at their Oscar's restaurant but the fees are 3.5-5%
For Alona there are money exchanges, not sure about ATMs as its a while since i was there, but money change was easy there.

The journey between from malapascua and cebu ferry is about 4hrs, TSD will put you on a private boat to/from Maya Pier so its a bit quicker. the ferry to Tagbilaran is about 45 mins, you have to be there at least 15mins before boarding. To Alona is another 45mins-1hr from the ferry ... so looking at about 6 hours travel time.

I cannot speak to going from Alona to Malapascua but I was just at Malapascua in April 2019. I flew into Cebu. If you are going from Alona to Cebu then the Cebu to Malapascua trip will probably be similar to mine.

I went with Thresher Shark Divers (TSD). They had a private transfer to Maya. From Maya a dive boat took me over to the island. I think it was around 3 hours from Cebu to Maya plus a stop for food and water. The ride over to Malapascua wasn't too long. When my ride reached Maya, some guides from TSD were waiting for me. It was kind of valet service. All the TSD staff grabbed my gear and luggage, brought it onto the boat and helped me onto the boat as well. I'd say the whole trip was around 3.5 to 4 hours.

For money, I arrived in Manila, stayed for one day then flew to Cebu. Before I left home, I sent myself money via Western Union. During that one day in Manila I went to a Western Union and picked up the money I sent myself. I used my passport for id. I gave them Canadian money in Canada and picked up Philippines Pesos in Manila.

You are diving with TSD. So you can use a credit card. I was charged 3% extra because I used my credit card. When I went on dives with a sanctuary fee, it was included in the price of the dive trip. So I could pay TSD and they paid the sanctuary fees.

When you are booking your dives with TSD be warned that they have two categories of dives. There will be a clipboard with the basic dives, no extra fees. These will be dives to things like the Thresher sharks or the night dive to the lighthouse. Then there will be another clipboard with dives to things like Gato Island or Kalanggaman Island. These are further from the resort. So it will be an all day trip. They will provide lunch but it will cost more than the other type of dive. You are paying for the extra gasoline, lunch and sanctuary fees. The food is okay but some of the diving is great.

I would highly recommend going to Gato Island. If you know a day when Ted is your guide, he is great at spotting macro life. All the guides were good but Marvin and Ted were above and beyond.

Everyone is saying go to Monad Shoal. This is were you will see the Thresher sharks. TSD has two types of trip there. One is REALLY early in the morning and has two tank dive. The other is just a one tank dive at Monad Shoal and a second tank somewhere else. The two dives at Monad Shoal is good because the first dive is before everyone else shows up. But the separate anchor makes even the later dive good. I actually had my best shark experience on the one tank at Monad Shoal and one else were.

Staying at Tepanee, you'll have a choice of two restaurants to eat at. One is inside the resort on the private beach. It is okay but I liked going to Amihan which is beside the report. It is up on the hill and has a great view of the harbour. I really liked sitting there and looking down on the bay.

It is a bit of a walk to the dive shop and a lot of the island life. But it can be good if you want to get away from the nightlife.

Oscar's restaurant (above TSD) is a really nice restaurant too. So you should check them out a few times.

If you have our own equipment, it might be good to bring it. I know one person I was diving with was saying how she had equipment failure 3 times (nothing major) and on her fourth dive with me, we found a pin hole in the diaphragm if her second stage (she just switched to her octo and it was fine). She was using rental equipment.

I took a private car from the Cebu ferry terminal from Bohol and it took 2.5 hours. The hotel transfer was twice the cost the car I took.

Not sure who you are diving with in Alona but I can highly recommend both Haka and Alona Divers. Haka has a pick up service which is convenient and Alona Divers is on the water very close to the main area.
I really liked diving at Napaling. It’s a shore dive with 2 areas.
Of course Balicasag.
There are a lot of ATMs in Alona.
On Malapascua I paid all my fees via credit card.
I stayed at Ocean Vida, Tepanee and Blanco.
Ocean Vida was great. Nice, clean ocean view. Great breakfast buffet, nice staff, two happy hours. Tepanee was fine. A bit dated. I can’t recommend Blanco. Some nice rooms but terrible management/service and the worst breakfast for the priciest hotel on the island.
I moved to Tepanee/Blanco since I changed dive shops to Thresher Shark Divers since they are all in the same area.
I loved TSD.
Try to go to Amihan or Angelina. Best food I found.

Back
Top Bottom