console versus wrist computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on right wrist.

i seen this has been asked in the past but not since a whole new crop of ia computers have popped .so wrist versus console who likes what

I much prefer a wrist computer. I can leave my equipment at a dive operation and still download my daily dives. I can re-charge the batteries every night. I can be sure that it didn't disappear before my next days dives. I can be sure no one effed with the settings. More - but you get the idea.

Anyone heard of wrist DCS, ever had sore or tingly shoulders

full.jpg

Wrist mounted cool, as slick as having your hand glued to your arse when wrestling in and out of your harness
then decorating the head height railings on the boat during surface interval and taking it all off to go for a squirt

full.jpg

Look at the DIR wannabe guy
at least he's got nouse enough to clip his brass n glass to his shoulder D where it can be glanced

Compass reading from a wrist, yeah right!

I prefer a console. I have an Oceanic ProPlus3 and it serves my needs well. It is AI and gives me everything I need. I tried a wrist computer on one trip and connectivity between the Transmitter and the Computer's receiver kept getting lost. Every time that I wanted to check something on the computer, I had to wait till the two components established connectivity and then synced. It was simply an annoyance that I didn't need.

PP3_hand_web.jpg

at least he's got nouse enough to clip his brass n glass to his shoulder D where it can be glanced

What part of that picture suggests "DIR wannabe" to you?

Maybe there's sarcasm here I don't understand, but are you seriously suggesting wrist PCs contribute to DCI? If so, please post the supporting evidence.

View attachment 521542

Wrist mounted cool, as slick as having your hand glued to your arse when wrestling in and out of your harness
then decorating the head height railings on the boat during surface interval and taking it all off to go for a squirt

View attachment 521543

this is one of the most incoherent posts I have read in a long time. have no idea what you are trying to say.

A majority of divers nowadays prefer wrist AI, but that is typically a more expensive option than most consoles. There are also many divers who prefer consoles, for a variety of reasons- I can think of a few. They may be doing things with their hands that make having a computer on their wrist less than ideal. They may not want to strap another piece of gear over a drysuit arm one day, and a skin suit arm next week. They may find compass navigation easer with a console. They might like having fewer individual pieces of gear to keep track of. They may like the fact that their computer stays attached to their regulator and they are less likely to leave it behind….

Like many things, it comes down to the type of diving you do, and personal preference.

I much prefer a wrist computer. I can leave my equipment at a dive operation and still download my daily dives. I can re-charge the batteries every night. I can be sure that it didn't disappear before my next days dives. I can be sure no one effed with the settings. More - but you get the idea.
I like wrist computers also, but in fairness the things you mention are addressed by having a QD fitting on the console.

this is one of the most incoherent posts I have read in a long time.
I guess you're new to happy-diver's posts.

Ontopic: I have a hose AI computer and am quite happy with it. Clipped to my left hip D-ring, DIR SPG style. Works well for me. I carry a backup computer on my right wrist, though.

Back
Top Bottom