Question about air integrated computers and transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personal choice, I have conventional SPG on all my reg sets, mainly for the convenience of checking my pressures whilst setting up my gear, and for "idiot check" before I splash - the last having been ingrained into me since I started diving so have no desire to change the way I do that.

I don't like button SPG's - but that's purely a personal preference not for any "technical" reason"

When I first got AI about 700 dives ago, I wanted to have the SPG until I was comfortable "trusting" the TX

Only once have I had a TX go down on the boat before the dive - User problem of me not changing battery in a timely manner.

I don't find having an SPG routed and clipped off to my waist out of the way, but accessible if I need it a problem. I also don't' buy into the "additional failure point nonsense"

Everyone has their own personal preferences and rational though which is fine.

I haven't read any of the responses, but unless the transmitters and receiving set up is far more reliable than the first ones from the mid-1990s, I would say put a analogue gauge on your regs.

Interesting discussion. Im looking at new computers now and debating AI. I am leaning against it because I don't know if Id trust wireless technology for something as critical as air pressure. Im happy to rely on my computer because even if it fails I always have other divers around me so depth is not so much an issue. Air consumption is personal and the other divers around me are no help for that. So if I was going to carry the SPG anyway I don't feel its worth spending the extra $400 or so on the AI transmitter although the computer I will buy (Shearwater Teric) will have the capability.

Interesting discussion. Im looking at new computers now and debating AI. I am leaning against it because I don't know if Id trust wireless technology for something as critical as air pressure. Im happy to rely on my computer because even if it fails I always have other divers around me so depth is not so much an issue. Air consumption is personal and the other divers around me are no help for that. So if I was going to carry the SPG anyway I don't feel its worth spending the extra $400 or so on the AI transmitter although the computer I will buy (Shearwater Teric) will have the capability.

Modern AI is pretty rock solid. I've been using the latest variant for over 700 dives with no underwater issues. As I mentioned above I keep an SPG attached anway for convenience of kit assembly rather than any desire for redundancy.

I like having the convenience of Gas pressure on my wrist where I can glance at it whilst looking at depth and time etc. There's also some worth in the ability to harvest data for analysis later if you wish, and I very occasionally use its time to surface predictions to double check my own in head calcs.

That said on my SM rig, I haven't bothered because I see little monetary value in adding 2 transmitters when the SPG's are right in front of my face.

There is no right or wrong answer its whichever suits you best

Air consumption is personal and the other divers around me are no help for that.

On our "usual" dive I can tell how much air's in my wife's tank and be close enough for practical purposes 90% of the time. Conversely I could tell how much's in mine by looking at her SPG. But then I can also tell what my SPG reads by looking at my watch.

An "unusual" dive, unfamiliar tanks, insta-buddy, etc., is of course a different story.

Keep in mind that the Shearwater will display the last read gas pressure for a while in case of a connection issue - in case you don't know it anyway from frequent checking previously, you will sure notice it when it turns into a warning.

how do they compare?

The same, generally, but you never know when something might fail on you.

Like today, when my brain failed on me and I forgot to turn AI on before entering the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom