Dive from a tall boat - what would you change?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ace Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to dive from my Ex-Commercial Fishing Boat. Deck is three feet above water but has two side gates. Looking for ideals.
29983693_1931344080233546_3951298221861273684_o.jpg

In the FL panhandle, I have done a dozen-ish giant strides from 3 to 5 feet depending on where you caught the waves. That is how they run their boat. I say secure the gate open and have at it. What is your water exit or ladder strategy?

gravity works just look straight ahead ,its having a nice secure ladder for re entry

If you're not afraid of feeling the drop and you have a good reentry, go for it. I've had to do giant strides from that height/a bit taller and hated it but I don't like the feel of falling.

Looks like a typical west coast dive boat. On the Vision out of Santa Barbara, they have a bow gate that is perhaps twice as high.
I would remove the spool, add benches and a ladder/swim step, compressor and tank racks.Better still, install a hydraulic elevator like God's Pocket has. :)

The boat that used to charter dives here had a deck about 6 feet up. We always used the backward roll. Kind of an amusement park ride. Don't know if I'd be comfortable with Giant Stride from that high, but 3' would seem fine.

On the TC Explorer the dive prep/storage area is up a short flight of stairs from the dive deck. They open the side exits during the drift dives since they want everyone off together. I'd say it's 5-6' or more.

I did not do a giant stride from there but others on the boat did.

It's where the black windows end about 20' from the stern in this shot

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 41
In the FL panhandle, I have done a dozen-ish giant strides from 3 to 5 feet depending on where you caught the waves. That is how they run their boat. I say secure the gate open and have at it. What is your water exit or ladder strategy?
I did not word my question correctly, Getting back on board was my real interest. Was wondering if a rubber boat under gate or removable platform. Guess removable platform and ladder would be best.

I did not word my question correctly, Getting back on board was my real interest. Was wondering if a rubber boat under gate or removable platform. Guess removable platform and ladder would be best.
I'll leave you to the boat owners then. I love the look of the boat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom