Komodo current - full or new moon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveUAE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello

Looking for some advice for our 5n/6d LOB in July 2020.
We're chartering a private boat for the 6 of us. 4 are experienced divers,1 new diver (or snorkler) and our 9 year old girl.

Now I just have to make a decision regarding the timing. Apart from the LOB we plan to stay 4-5 days in LBJ for land based diving and relaxing/exploring with our girl.

Has anyone dived Komodo during full moon - how was it? Too crazy current? Great for spotting "big stuff"? Would you recommend doing a LOB during full moon? Or do the full moon diving from land based? Avoid full moon? Go during new moon?

Both New and full moon have spring tides, where as neap tides are at the half moon times. There are two of each per luna cycle

Generally the boats cater to people who have limited comfort/experience in current so they choose the sites carefully each day choosing the best times to hit them to give their guests the best experience. Komodo is a bit like the Musandam where the tide times don't always follow the predictions.

You do hear a lot about big currents in Komodo, but people have different relative perspectives. If someone has 30-50 dives they will describe the currents in a much different way to someone with a lot more experience in currents

If you're really concerned then I would try to visit somewhere between full/new and half moon so you're neither at min nor max. Some sites do benefit from a bit of current for a drift

You'll see some spectacular boiling water - from the safety of the boat but the dvng is safe and enjoyable, there are occasions on a few dives that you need to kick at certain points - but its all very manageable.

Both New and full moon have spring tides, where as neap tides are at the half moon times. There are two of each per luna cycle

Generally the boats cater to people who have limited comfort/experience in current so they choose the sites carefully each day choosing the best times to hit them to give their guests the best experience. Komodo is a bit like the Musandam where the tide times don't always follow the predictions.

You do hear a lot about big currents in Komodo, but people have different relative perspectives. If someone has 30-50 dives they will describe the currents in a much different way to someone with a lot more experience in currents

If you're really concerned then I would try to visit somewhere between full/new and half moon so you're neither at min nor max. Some sites do benefit from a bit of current for a drift

You'll see some spectacular boiling water - from the safety of the boat but the dvng is safe and enjoyable, there are occasions on a few dives that you need to kick at certain points - but its all very manageable.

Thank you! I'm hoping by choosing full moon, we might have more current and more big stuff? - the new diver knows Komodo is for experienced divers, and that we want to do the current dives (she'll hopefully be able to snorkel instead and then do some diving at other more suitable sites). Did you use the reef hooks in Komodo? Think we need new ones anyway, before we go to Maldives;-)

We've chosen a dive operator with many years of experience and constant good reviews for dropping people at the right place at the right time - so hope to see some action:)

Did you use the reef hooks in Komodo? Think we need new ones anyway, before we go to Maldives;-)
I always carry a reef hook, but only use it if I want to stay still for a long period. Muck sticks are generally better as they're easier to find a hole with especially as you can jab them in quickly.

Some sites like "Manta Alley" have a loose bottom with nothing to hold on to. Here you just get low where the current is least if you want to stay in one place with a manta.

Since you're chartering the whole boat you'll have some say on what you want to dive. I did used to laugh at some of the guides idea of what a strong or medium current was though :)

I always carry a reef hook, but only use it if I want to stay still for a long period. Muck sticks are generally better as they're easier to find a hole with especially as you can jab them in quickly.

Some sites like "Manta Alley" have a loose bottom with nothing to hold on to. Here you just get low where the current is least if you want to stay in one place with a manta.

Since you're chartering the whole boat you'll have some say on what you want to dive. I did used to laugh at some of the guides idea of what a strong or medium current was though :)

In which way?

In which way?

Guides description vs Our Opinion

Medium current = A minor annoyance
Strong Current = You might need to kick
Un-divable = Sporty

(Us) Strong current = popping over a ridge, on a DPV at max while finning and then shooting backwards (cursing your own stupidity)

Everyone needs a little down current action in their lives, gets their heart going don't ya know

@RainPilot knows from his experience what current we're happy to drop into :wink:

I haven’t seen any down current in 3x I have been in Komodo. Has anyone experience one & which sites?

Most of my current diving in Komodo had been in the shallow between islands like a site called Shotgun (~ 20’ depth) that leads into a bowl (~ 60’ depth) where the current slows down to manageable level to hook in & watch the big fish hunting.

Has anyone experience one & which sites?
Batu-Bolong - guaranteed in all but slack water at the edges.

If you know what to look for you can see where the down currents are from the surface on a number of sites - which is when they avoid them.

Shotgun is "okay" but rarely do you get to dive it properly because most people will feel out of control, so you just get a "bit of a drift" It can be sooo much better

I haven’t seen any down current in 3x I have been in Komodo. Has anyone experience one & which sites?

Most of my current diving in Komodo had been in the shallow between islands like a site called Shotgun (~ 20’ depth) that leads into a bowl (~ 60’ depth) where the current slows down to manageable level to hook in & watch the big fish hunting.
Agreed in 4 times Komodo, very seldom experienced downcurrent with the exception of Batu Bolong and a very slight feel of downcurrent on Pengah, you need a wall to get a down current, Komodo isn't wall diving unlilke say Alor or Nusa Penida.

As for currenty dives on other spots : I had a tough one on Castle rock where we had to hook and would barely move from the shelter of a bommie to another, on the other hand sharks were aplenty, we were just swept away for the deco stop and had a down/up/down/up/down/up sequence that almost blasted my ears.
Another superfast drift dive we had was on Siaba Kecil on a rising tide, Shotgun-like drift, lots of fish but almost impossible to find a way to shoot them, I don't think I clicked more than 5 frames on this dive.

Reactions: Dan
Agreed in 4 times Komodo, very seldom experienced downcurrent with the exception of Batu Bolong and a very slight feel of downcurrent on Pengah, you need a wall to get a down current, Komodo isn't wall diving unlilke say Alor or Nusa Penida.

As for currenty dives on other spots : I had a tough one on Castle rock where we had to hook and would barely move from the shelter of a bommie to another, on the other hand sharks were aplenty, we were just swept away for the deco stop and had a down/up/down/up/down/up sequence that almost blasted my ears.
Another superfast drift dive we had was on Siaba Kecil on a rising tide, Shotgun-like drift, lots of fish but almost impossible to find a way to shoot them, I don't think I clicked more than 5 frames on this dive.

Do you remember, if the current dives was during full/new moon - or just randomly? We want to see the sharks and last year in Red Sea we saw nothing bigger than a blue spotted ray - also no current at all (even on the dives, where they said it would be strong it was just a very mild current)
Trying to avoid disappointment- which might be stupid, as everyone seems to love Komodo (but many also swears Red Sea is a great place, and to me it's only mediocore - even in Sudan).

Back
Top Bottom