sitech oval vs round quick cuff / quickneck vs neoprene neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My wife was measured this morning for a made-to-measure neoprene drysuit.

I like the option of replaceable seals and we chose the option of having si-tech neck and wrist rings installed. Her current drysuit which does not fit correctly has the si-tech round quick cuff and she has the glove lock system.

She can choose either the round quick cuff or the si-tech oval systems....are there any recommendations for one over the other? The only advantage of the quick cuff is that she would not need to purchase a glove ring solution as her si-tech glove lock system will continue to serve.

The shop owner initially recommended the si-tech orust, but I have read that it may be too flexible and that can be problematic with the seal retention by the clips, so she has initially opted for the quickneck system. She is now asking me if she should cancel the neck ring system and just go with a neoprene neck seal. Any thoughts on whether she should go neoprene vs quickneck or quickneck vs orust?

My suite is an aqualung fusion so I have no real experience with neoprene drysuits or neoprene neck seals so I am seeking info to advise her with.

-Z

I haven’t any experience with the Orust but I wish I had one on my Back zip suit as it looks like it would feel better, I have heard theoretical concerns which may be valid, I used to trust si-tech designs but then I tried the Antaries...
I would look at the oval rings for the wrist, they take a little getting used to but offer a nice low profiles the Virgo glove system works great, positive lock and unlock but bulky.

A neoprene neck seal may not be a great option if hair may get trapped in there, it would be less bulky and warmer though.

Get the second generation SiTech neck ring - the Quick Neck. More flexible than what’s on your Fusion, but without the problems of the Orust.

Quick Neck Seal System

I had the Quick Neck on my previous suit.

Go for the SiTech oval rings. For drygloves, then use the Waterproof Ultima. The Ultima converts the oval rings to round, but they are smaller than the SiTech rings she currently has.

Reactions: Zef
I prefer the Oval cuffs as I don't have large hands, get the new neck seal system (Quick Neck).

Reactions: Zef
Go for the SiTech oval rings. For drygloves, then use the Waterproof Ultima. The Ultima converts the oval rings to round, but they are smaller than the SiTech rings she currently has.

That's very interesting. You're saying the Ultima dryglove system will mount to the Antares rings? Looking at the pictures I don't see how that works, but it sounds like a neat solution.

That's very interesting. You're saying the Ultima dryglove system will mount to the Antares rings? Looking at the pictures I don't see how that works, but it sounds like a neat solution.

I can answer this because I have the si-tech oval system on my drysuit and I use the Ultima dryglove system.

The Ultima system does not mount on the Antares rings...one removes the hard oval insert that sandwiches the wrist seal between the PU ring glued into the suit, and then one substitutes a hard round ring that comes with the Ultima DGS. You lose the oval aspect but you gain a robust and dry dryglove system, as the Antares system was not reliably dry and many folks found the tabs that locked it in place were fragile/easy to damage.

Si-tech, although they still list the Antares system on their website, they have developed the Virgo dryglove system for the oval wrist setup...the Virgo makes the wrist ring round like the DGS but the glove attachment/interface is almost identical to the si-tech glove lock setup.

-Z

I found a video explaining it all after I asked the question. I got confused by Marie13's use of "convert". Thanks for the quick reply.

I prefer the Oval cuffs as I don't have large hands, get the new neck seal system (Quick Neck).

The debate was between the Quick Neck and the Orust. My drysuit has the older necktite system which is a less flexible version of the Quick Neck. I had read some concerns about the Orust which is their most flexible neck system but it is not in wide use in the industry as far as I can tell.

I spoke to some folks who advised the issue with the Orust system is that people are finding the clips that hold the system together to be a bit on the fragile side when removed and re-attached, and people have complained that it is difficult to source replacement clips. This is not an issue with the Quick Neck system or the Neck Tite system so my wife has opted for the Quick Neck which is between the Neck Tite and Orust in terms of flexibility of the mounted ring.

We are waiting for the shop to open to let them know we would like to change the wrist system to the ovals. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

-Z

Thanks for the thread Zef. We are dealing with some of the same questions. I am a fairly small build, at least through the shoulders. That large ring worries me. I have some limited experience with a neoprene neck seal and did not mind it. At least after I learned to wear a section of ladies stocking over my hair for donning!

So am I crazy to be considering a neoprene neck seal in this modern age of silicone?

Thanks for the thread Zef. We are dealing with some of the same questions. I am a fairly small build, at least through the shoulders. That large ring worries me. I have some limited experience with a neoprene neck seal and did not mind it. At least after I learned to wear a section of ladies stocking over my hair for donning!

So am I crazy to be considering a neoprene neck seal in this modern age of silicone?

It depends what you want from a drysuit. I contend that one of the criteria I was after was user/field replaceable neck and wrist seals.

I used to whitewater kayak and saw folks arrive at a river after a long drive and while getting changed they tore one of their drysuit seals. They often would immediately pack up and head home, that in itself sucked but then they would have to find a place to repair their suit and leave it with them for however long necessary ti effect the repair.

Neoprene neck seals are fairly robust...if you find them comfortable and they keep you dry then go for it. But the smooth skin on neoprene seals is what allows them to make the seal against your skin, if that breaks down, and eventually it does, then you need that part replaced. That requires faffing around with solvents and glue by you if you DIY the repair or by a shop which takes time and costs money.

The Si-tech wrist and neck systems allow the choice between silicone or latex so one can dial in the fit for optimal comfort, and a torn seal can be removed and replaced in mere minutes at the dive site....no glue, no chemicals needed. I carry a spare neck and a pair of wrist seals in my save-a-dive kit...its is insurance that is well worth the expense.

The main benefit of a neoprene neck seal is that it should be warmer as it has inherent insulating properties....but a hood with an "apron" will provide similar insulation especially if it can be tucked between the suit and neck seal....often a suit will have fabric that protects the neck seal area and/or acts as a neck warmer.

*********************************************************************************************
In the end my wife has chosen the si-tech Quick Neck system along with the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist system. The shop was not familiar with the Virgo system so they were pitching the Antares system which I know to be crap. The suits apparently come with the dryglove system when the wrist ring systems are orderd/installed so I have the shop owner looking into if the company making the suit can provide it with the Virgo system....if not we will will just purchase either the Virgo or the Ultima DGS (which is what I have), and either sell or toss the Antares system. I am leaning towards the Virgo for my wife as I find the Ultima DGS can be difficult to pry apart and I know my wife will not want to struggle with it....she has the Si-tech Glove Lock system on her current setup and it works well with zero struggle....but the diameter/profile is a bit larger....I believe the Virgo to be larger than the Ultima DGS, similar to the Glove Lock system, but that will be the trade-off for her to be hassle free.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom