First BCD, want integrated weights, mostly for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never meant to suggest I was superhuman. At my weight, a diver on the more buoyant side might need 40lbs of lead or more, which is above and beyond what the travel BC's can accommodate. All I meant is that if a BC can hold enough weight for most 200lbs men, I will be fine.

Now, looking at the Covert vs Covert XT - the XT has 36lbs dumpable and 20 lbs trim vs 16 dumpable in the Covert.

Can I wear the Covert without a weight belt? 16lbs probably does not actually fit 16lbs - it might only fit 10 lbs. Can I dive with 10lbs of weight and no belt? Maybe, but not wearing a wetsuit. Now if I could add a little bit of non dumpable weight somewhere, I might be able to get away with the Covert even though most 200lbs guys can't. But if I want to do a cold water dive, it won't happen without a belt.

Guys on the opposite end of the buoyancy spectrum might be in the same situation with the XT as I am with the Covert.

Well, I am not denying the possibility of you being super human , but I am saying human body buoyancy varies very little. You are not more negative than the average. The fact that you saw other using significant more weight is mostly due to other aspects, like suit thickness, tank, even buoyancy of the BC... These contribute more.

As to the Covert BC, the dry weight of 5lb is actually quite good. Even if you go all out on money, find the lightest components to create bpw, you probably won't be able to beat it by much. But what about it's buoyancy? If it is 4lb positive, you will carry 4lb just because of the BC. It maybe another spec you should pay attention too

Why do you care? You said you are "dense" and don't need much weight. You also said you are a tropical diver so you are not going to need much weight. You are overthinking this. You should be concerned about fit.

Also do not muddy the waters about the long hose vs short hose. That is a separate issue. You do not need a long hose unless you are diving in an overhead environment such as caves or ice diving. Look at the Dive Rite videos on YouTube to see various hose configurations.

I can't ask about fit online.

10lbs is likely enough for me without a wetsuit, the trip I am taking recommends 3mm, and I am told a very experienced diver who takes this trip many times always wears 5mm. I don't understand the need for that thickness in the Bahama's in October, but that is a different topic.

The question on hoses was related to BP/Ws. If I go that route, I am not at all familiar with what is the same or different vs a conventional BCP. For a conventional BCP, I know what I need.

10lbs is likely enough for me without a wetsuit, the trip I am taking recommends 3mm, and I am told a very experienced diver who takes this trip many times always wears 5mm. I don't understand the need for that thickness in the Bahama's in October, but that is a different topic.

The question on hoses was related to BP/Ws. If I go that route, I am not at all familiar with what is the same or different vs a conventional BCP. For a conventional BCP, I know what I need.

Cold tolerance is an individual thing, some people are more comfortable in cold water than others.

I don't understand, in one post you say you can exhale and sink, so why 10 lbs? In any BC the more weight you pack in it the more stress you put on it.

For a BP/W the hoses are the same as any other BC. You do not need to change anything unless you want to.

Well, I am not denying the possibility of you being super human , but I am saying human body buoyancy varies very little. You are not more negative than the average. The fact that you saw other using significant more weight is mostly due to other aspects, like suit thickness, tank, even buoyancy of the BC... These contribute more.

Not sure why this is so hard for people. Technically, none of us are exactly average, even if we are less than a gram away from being average. Of course gear contributes more and of course I am not outside what is typical for a human, vs a human shaped object made out of iron or wood. But 2 guys the exact same body weight and exact same gear don't always use the exact same amount of weight. If I knew everyone would get so hung up on this, I wouldn't have even mentioned it.

Where are you getting your numbers? I got mine from the size chart on LP's site, although their spec lists "
Releasable; 16 lbs. (7.5 kg), Non-Releasable; 10 lbs. (4.54 kg) Rear Trim". Zeagle's own website doesn't seem to have any information. Their user manual just lists "pending".

If you look at the sizing chart on LP on the Covert XT page, you will see the sizing chart is actually for the Zeagle Ranger BCD with Ripcord weight system. They should change the chart because it is not applicate to the Covert.

@bvbellomo. Your post: For those who actually used the Covert, does 16 lbs mean "the manufacture was able to jam 16lbs in without ripping the fabric" or that it is practical to actual dive with 16 lbs?

I weigh 200# and the Covert I have can carry 16# of ditchable weights, 8# in each pocket. I can actually put 2 X 5# in each pocket, but just use 2 x 4# in each pocket to stay within manufacturer's specs. They fit without issue. I also put two XS scuba trim weight pockets on the top tank band, so I have 16# ditchable and 10# non-ditchable. At 200# body weight, and with the 32# lift in the bladder, I have not had any problems with adequate weights on the bcd or adequate lift. As I read the specs on the Covert XT, it sounds like the XT in Sm-Med has 34# of lift and the L/XL has 42# of lift which should work for you even in cold water. I chose the Covert because I did not want to use a weight belt.

Hose config is of very independent of BC choice. It is better to nail them down independently. If you make one dependent on the other, you will never be able to make decisions.

No suit with 10lb is kind of the high side and probably has something to the BC inherent buoyancy.

But 5mm in tropics isn't unusual either. If you are having a week long dive trip, the additional warm is welcomed after the first couple of days. I will bring a drysuits for a week long live aboard in Thailand.

I take the XT specs you quote as totals not per pocket.

My WAG on your lead is 4 lb for exhale to sink. 5lb for fresh to salt. 3 lb for al tank. 4 lb or so for suit. So 16 lb. plus any BC padding. Knowing your weighting is important.

I have an issue with just one place to put lead. The odds of that putting you in trim are low. Which means oscillating to from vertical when you stop start, using energy and kicking up or at the coral. I think you need better options on weight distribution.

Not sure why this is so hard for people. Technically, none of us are exactly average, even if we are less than a gram away from being average. Of course gear contributes more and of course I am not outside what is typical for a human, vs a human shaped object made out of iron or wood. But 2 guys the exact same body weight and exact same gear don't always use the exact same amount of weight. If I knew everyone would get so hung up on this, I wouldn't have even mentioned it.

I am just trying explain the lead difference has more to do with other thing than your natural buoyancy. When considering weight capacity of a BC, you should focus on those instead if your natural buoyancy.

We didn't get hung up on your buoyancy, we just want to direct your attention to generally more correct direction.

I don't understand, in one post you say you can exhale and sink, so why 10 lbs? In any BC the more weight you pack in it the more stress you put on it.

In a freshwater pool without a wetsuit but otherwise full gear, I was able to dive and maneuver just fine without a weight belt, however the instructor felt I needed 5lbs and 10lbs was better. Now if you factor in a 3mm wetsuit, salt water, a BCD with probably less bouyancy when empty, and a different tank, I am not sure where you end up.[/QUOTE]

For a BP/W the hoses are the same as any other BC. You do not need to change anything unless you want to.

That's what I was asking. I didn't know.

I take the XT specs you quote as totals not per pocket.

My WAG on your lead is 4 lb for exhale to sink. 5lb for fresh to salt. 3 lb for al tank. 4 lb or so for suit. So 16 lb. plus any BC padding. Knowing your weighting is important.

I have an issue with just one place to put lead. The odds of that putting you in trim are low. Which means oscillating to from vertical when you stop start, using energy and kicking up or at the coral. I thing you need better options on weight distribution.

With the Covert or Covert XT, you can use the integrated pockets and put trim weight pocket on the top, bottom, or both tank straps. I personally find those options helpful to improve my trim, but others may find other configurations better for their body.

Back
Top Bottom