Trip Report Clark's Cay Dive Trip (off Guanaja)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveFans

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

We stayed at the wonderful Clark’s Cay Dive Resort in Guanaja (Off Roatan) from May 11 – May 18, 2019. The resort is just as beautiful as the photos on their website !

The diving was terrific – lots of interesting sea life we’d never seen before, beautiful corals and a comfortable dive boat. Our excellent dive master Kennet pointed out lots of tiny critters we would have missed, like Pipefish in the sand, Sea Horses and even a ‘Pipehorse’ which we had never heard of. The reef structure was very interesting with a deep pinnacle on one dive and several interesting ‘tunnels’ (open above) that Kennet led us through. It was fun to see Nurse Sharks eating lionfish also, and fortunately they seem to be keeping the lionfish population down. We also saw large Sting Rays and various Blennies, our first ever Indigo Hamlet, Crabs & Shrimp. Dives were typically 45 minutes and you could stay under the boat for anther 15 minutes. I should add that we had some windy days, so the vis wasn't ideal, but we still enjoyed great diving.

The dive service was excellent – our boat hand Rony set up our equipment each morning, rinsed it at the end of the day and hung it to dry for us. Rony also lifted my weight belt and equipment onto the boat at the end of each dive, so I could easily walk up the ladder in spite of my hip issues. They also provided water, juice and and a snack between dives.

We didn’t have any time to snorkel, since we spent all our time diving, but we DID totally enjoy the Lazy River which surrounded the beautiful Infinity Pool. There was a gentle current and you could either use a float or walk against the current for more exercise. Our Dining Room Server Extraordinare Toy was always happy to deliver drinks of any kind to us (in plastic cups, of course) in the Lazy River or Pool. My favorite apres-dive drinks were the refreshing fruit smoothies that Toy made with tropical fruits.

Food was wonderful, with 3 complete meals and an option for Happy Hour snacks each day. Toy always made sure we had everything we needed and were completely happy with each meal.

ALL of the staff were simply wonderful and happy to provide terrific service, always with a smile !!

Clark's Cay and their sister resort Villa on Dunbar Rock have have worked to develop Scuba Diving as an alternative economic opportunity to over-fishing in this area. We only learned about these efforts because we came across a March 15, 2016 article from ‘divenewswire’ website, highlighting Villa on Dunbar Rock. The owners have worked with local authorities to establish a Marine Reserve, funded a Hyperbaric Chamber in Guanaja, helped establish Mooring Balls throughout the Marine Reserve and assisted local residents in other ways.

Thanks for sharing. We don’t hear much about Guanaja but Clark’s and Dunbar sounds like fantastic spots. I look forward to visiting them sometime soon.

Thanks for sharing...sounds like a great trip. We did a week at G&G's on Guanaja back in 2013. The diving was excellent and no other boats in sight.

Doc recommended Guanaja as a place so far off the beaten path, there is no path.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom