Best Dive Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Updated: Tentative Schedule

St. Crox USVI- Dive/snorkel
St. Johns, Antigua-Beach day
Castria, St. Lucia-Island Tour
Bridgetown, Barbados-Catamaran Sail
St. George, Granada- Dive/snorkel
Kingstown, St. Vincent-?
Basseterrie, St. Kitts-Mount LIamuiga Volcano Hike

Funny the timing of this thread. Today we were working out the logistics of a trip that would include Cozumel and trip to San Juan for a southern Caribbean cruise - whether or not to spend a week in Coz and then go to SJ or just do one or the other. With airfare not being very flexible to do the 2 weeks back to back we decided to do only the cruise and put Coz on the back burner. Tough decision as I have been wanting to stay at the Allegro on the south end of Coz for about 6 years now and a dive op is on site. Our friends wanted to do the cruise.

So in January, I'll be on a cruise that hits several of the aforementioned locations. If St. Croix were one I'd definitely dive, but it's not. We get St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados. Never dove while on a cruise (have only been on one up through Maine) but may try to at one stop. Will be looking through old (and new) threads on SB to get some diving tips while on a cruise.

Funny the timing of this thread. Today we were working out the logistics of a trip that would include Cozumel and trip to San Juan for a southern Caribbean cruise - whether or not to spend a week in Coz and then go to SJ or just do one or the other. With airfare not being very flexible to do the 2 weeks back to back we decided to do only the cruise and put Coz on the back burner. Tough decision as I have been wanting to stay at the Allegro on the south end of Coz for about 6 years now and a dive op is on site. Our friends wanted to do the cruise.

So in January, I'll be on a cruise that hits several of the aforementioned locations. If St. Croix were one I'd definitely dive, but it's not. We get St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados. Never dove while on a cruise (have only been on one up through Maine) but may try to at one stop. Will be looking through old (and new) threads on SB to get some diving tips while on a cruise.

There is a separate forum for cruise diving. It's under the Travel Related Discussion forums. Some pretty good tips there.

So far I've only dived in Curacao, Aruba and St. Maarten while on a cruise. Am booked to dive in Roatan in December while on a cruise (also visiting Cozumel & Costa Maya, Mexico as well but not diving) and then the islands I originally mentioned in March of next year.

Out of the ones mentioned I have only dove St. Croix and St. Kitts. If memory serves me the diving on St. Croix will be easier being that St. Kitts has some mild current. The visibility should also be better in St. Croix.

I jumped out in Barbados in March of this year for 2 weeks. The shop was in Bridgetown. I had a lot of fun.

The stav is a big wreck, but it's pretty deep with the bottom around 133'.

The diving was pretty good. I did about 19 or 20 dives total. I haven't been to the other islands you mentioned so it would be hard to compare. Maybe see if you can do 4 islands if she can snorkel on the 4.

So, in your opinion, Barbados is a worthwhile diving destination? I'm considering heading there and looking for information. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry to jump into your thread but I’m taking a cruise as well to some of the similar islands and am in the same situation as yourself. Trying to find the best choices while cruising.

I’ll be leaving from PR then stops in
St maarten
St kitts
St. John’s
St Lucia
Barbados

I’ve already dove st Maarten so I want to try some of the other islands.

Any recommendations welcome
Hello there,

Did you already take this cruise? I will be cruising the same itinerary next month!

both take snorkelers out on their boats with divers.

Have you been on your trip yet? If not, I thought I'd mention something about snorkeling in St. Croix so maybe you didn't have to pay for a snorkeler on the dive boat (if they were charging.) Unless there has been migration, on the Southside of the pier there used to be starfish everywhere. Snorkeling used to be very good along the shoreline on the Northside of the pier. Pictures I've taken snorkeling there of are reef fish, puffer fish, octopus, turtles, starfish, barracuda, stingray, spotted eagle ray, etc.... I've been told of grouper but haven't seen them. The only thing to be careful of are black spiny urchins.

The nice thing is the snorkeling can be done close to the pier (and dive shop if it's N2theBlue) where the dive boat is and it's convenient to meet up with each other. Just a thought.

St. Crox USVI- Dive/snorkel
St. George, Granada- Dive/snorkel
Kingstown, St. Vincent-?

I'm glad you decided against the Gros Piton in St. Lucia. The hike is hell, and you can get a better view from a place you can drive all the way up. Let me know if you need more information. BTW..., Superman's Flight is one of the best dives I have ever done.

St. Crox USVI- Dive/snorkel-St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures
St. George, Granada- Dive/snorkel-divegranada.com
Kingstown, St. Vincent-Dive/snorkel-Indigo Dive

I'm real happy to be able to dive three times on this trip considering my wife doesn't dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom