First dive light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok you can keep it to yourself for whatever reason. Contemplating your first dive light and a CCR in the same thread is rather ambitious. I do know that you will probably regret buying a cheap light in about 2 years. That's when people tend to outgrow what was decent at the time. Of course that assumes you're still diving at that point.

@rjack321 the reference between a dive light and CCR training I’ll admit was a leap. But it was the first thing that popped into my head.
Playing it close to the vest is mainly because of people judging the book by the cover.
As for the light I agree with you. I figured the LX20 or the LM Handy would be good enough for now and something I could transition into being a darn good backup/ travel light down the road.

I'm quite fond of the Mares Eos 3 RZ. It sits nicely in the BC pocket. Bright enough for seeing in small wrecks and multi brightness as well as flash mode

I was introduced to the DragonSub Megalithium 5 during a tech course. It's a relatively unknown but excellent primary light. I think they're made in Murcia, Spain. They're a small operation so I expect they're better known in Europe than in North America. The cost is up there in the 200 Euro range and I'm sure you can get much cheaper good lights, but man are these nice...and they can take a beating.

Megalitium 5 « Dragonsub – Official site for Dragonsub in English

I just ordered the light you recommended, trying to determine which of those socks is the correct one though. I see the universal that you say not to get, but there's 2 of the others: Raider I & II is one model, the other is Raider III. No dimensions listed! Same price for each. Any idea which one is the best fit?

Thanks!

@Chanly83 yeah.... sometimes I feel like a shill for Xtar. But, I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer. Well, that and somewhat obsessive about finding "good deals" and sharing said deals with other people. :)

Also, just FYI, the Xtar D26 works great with an Oxycheq Raider light sock (the bigger one they sell).

Cave Adventurers - Light Parts and Accessories - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

It is very tight around the light, so I have never been concerned that it might slip out by accident. (but I still clip the light's bolt snap to the light sock's bungee that goes around my wrist)

The "universal" light sock that Oxycheq and some others sell really sucks. I would happily give mine away to someone who wanted it. As long as I don't have to put any effort into it, like packing it or mailing it. It's not worth that... :D

I have been diving an LX20 for almost two years and really love it. I especially like that keeping a set of 18650 batteries is much easier than a spare proprietary battery pack.

I would also suggest you take a look at their new CX1 light. It comes with a 26650 battery, but can also run an 18650 with the included sleeve. This light makes a great Primary for dives under an hr, would actually be a much better back-up down the road when you get a can light. Plus it’s only $150ish plus’s a little extra for a hand mount.

Same here. The LX20 specs don't do it justice. Great light to dive with. My biggest problem is it has a long burn time, and a couple of times I didn't charge it for many dives and then it died partway through a dive; I guess expecting over 10 hours of burn time was unreasonable. Now I charge it every couple of dives, whether I need to or not. Unless you're doing a 5+ hour dive, I don't see any reason to get a can light. You can't beat DiveRite's customer service, either

The only other LX20 issue that I personally know of was a buddy who’s switch seemed to get jammed, but admitted to have not rinsed it well enough after a sandy/salty dive...

I beach dive with my LX20 a lot. If the surf is really up, the switch can get a little tough to turn. Fortunately, the whole ring assembly unscrews with a small allen wrench after taking a couple of phillips head screws out for the quick release mount. Wash in fresh water, put on a little lube (or not) of your favorite flavor, reassemble and it works like new. I learned this trick from talking to the Dive Rite guys at a scuba show

I just ordered the light you recommended, trying to determine which of those socks is the correct one though. I see the universal that you say not to get, but there's 2 of the others: Raider I & II is one model, the other is Raider III. No dimensions listed! Same price for each. Any idea which one is the best fit?

Thanks!

Raider I

Back
Top Bottom