Added tourniquet to my thigh pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those sticky bandages are called chest seals, and their only use is for a sucking chest wound. Combat gauze has no "goo", it is impregnated with Kaolin.

Please seek training before using combat gauze as it CANNOT be used in certain parts of the body, namely the neck, torso, and gut areas.

Sorry I'm posting while having a drink and don't recall the name of the goo impregnated in the bandages. Not sure is a K word but I could be wrong. I do have training regularly and don't have fantasies of being a hero, enough first responders in my family no need for me to become a wanna be.

I guess we all aren’t that lucky, correct me if I’m wrong the gen 4 is the first varient with The improved buckle

I honestly couldn't tell you. I have only been around for Gen 6-7 CAT's and gen 1-4 SOFTW.

The gen 7 CAT shares characteristics with the SOFTW Series of Tq's.

I, like thousands of others, have used the CAT III in combat and it simply works. In my opinion, based on fact, the advantage to having this tourniquet is that you can put it on your own arm or leg in under 20 seconds if it is prepped and carried on your person. 20-30 seconds of an arterial bleed and you will pass out. Enough said.

However, if you think buying a CAT III and throwing it in your BCD is good enough, you're wrong. You need to train with it and show others how and when to use it. I can show someone in a pre-dive brief how to use it in 5 minutes. And the stats show that it has prevented hundreds of battlefield deaths. For $30, that's a bargain.

The one thing I wonder is how long the nylon will hold up against saltwater. Enter the Marine Tourniquet. I talked to the owner of that company at the Scuba Show in Long Beach and his is made of saltwater resistant material. And it has a ratchet like a snowboard binding. Too easy.

Remember, bleeding control is just that. No matter what you use to stem any bleeding, you MUST seek medical care quickly. None of these interventions are a solution to massive hemorrhaging. They simply slow it down, extending the Golden Hour. Only a surgeon can fix a vascular compromise. Treat for shock and get the person to a doctor. All of the previously discussed interventions work, but only temporarily.

The CAT III has the buckle with teeth to prevent slippage on the upper thigh. I and II had a double buckle slot.

I show people how to use BP cuffs as an expedient alternative as these are SIMILAR to surgical tourniquets. A BP cuff (sphygmomanometer) will leak air eventually. You have to keep pumping the bulb to maintain arterial occlusion which is bad when you are trying to encourage clotting. Better than nothing and can be used in conjunction with arterial pressure points.

Femoral artery bleed out is 30-90 SECONDS, not 5-60 minutes. The best TQ's on the market at this time are the SOFTW and CAT. refer to my earlier post on which is better for Salt water use and why.

I'm sorry, but this whole comment is just a big ball of "NO".

If somebody is loosing blood, regardless of Arterial or Venous bleed, you don't have time to be looking around for supplies to make a half ass TQ, and I'm saying this from personal experience on multiple occasions. And saying you have 2" webbing is the same piss poor argument that you always have a belt on.

Tourniquet's are cheap, and pretty small. If you have o2 or a med kit on board, there is absolutely no reason you can't have the proper equipment on board.

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY

Something like the changes/tweeks you find in CPR courses over a couple of years.
I was in a restaurant the other day, and a waitress started yelling, asking if anyone knew CPR. I told her I not only knew CPR, I knew the whole alphabet! Everyone started laughing. Well, except for one guy.

as I'm more of a hiker, I do know about avoiding bear attacks. For that purpose, I just carry a jar of bacon grease, find someone camping a ways off, and smear it on their tent. Keeps the bears away from mine.

Hahaha! Reminds me of the old joke about runner tightening his shoes. His friend says you're an idiot, you can't outrun the bear. He says, I don't have to, just have to outrun you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom