Putting On The Wetsuit ---- One Easy Item Prevents Hassles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Students need to be advised of this in order to prevent last minute hassles in their putting on or taking off those really tight bottom halfs of wetsuits ----getting them worked-up from the feet and lower legs. A messy method is to dry the legs and feet first with baking powder, as some have suggested. Far better way is for divers to purchase pairs of men's dress stockings from any store that sells menswear (such as Target Stores.) These banded stockings are thin nylon in texture, and come in basic colors of black, brown, or blue. They go up to the knees. They last for a very long time and I should note here that they are the very least expensive of all diving gear necessities to ensure a hassle-free dive preparation experience. Stash one stocking inside each "bootie" when transporting with equipment. Put on the stockings first thing in the morning of your dive trips and you've got it made. And why not take along a few other dry pairs of these stockings for emergencies in case of students taking so long to get ready, can't fit into wetsuits, and cause unneeded delays for fellow divers. Hey, you could sell additional pairs to fellow divers on ad hoc basis and make considerable profit. Especially when they have no viable alternatives for getting rid of last minute frustrations. (NOTE: dive shops usually do not sell these stockings; you will need to shop at other stores.)

While nylon or lycra socks are a good idea, and have been used for a long time, they do not do much to help get the wetsuit over the thighs, waist, and upper body. I use lycra socks in conjunction with a lycra dive skin, making donning and doffing very easy without adding buoyancy. The dive skin can also be used for sun/stinger protection in the event you find your wetsuit a bit too warm on your first dive.

Shopper's plastic bags on the arms and legs. If that doesn't work, ask for a different size suit.

I only dive at most once a week. With a dry 7 mil bottom I just leave my socks on to get the pants on then remove the socks (why wear them under the booties?). I don't remove the suit in between the 2 dives.

Or you can buy one of these for $30.

NeoSport Unisex Lycra/Spandex Skin Suit

BLRLMLRPR.jpg

I just turn mine inside out and sort of roll the legs and arms on. It works when wet or dry- or both.
This is the best method I have found.

Hate putting on a completely dry suit, not only is less flexible, it also reminds you how many days you didn't dive.
I found that leaving the suit in the shade it can retain enough moisture for a couple of days. Wish it lasted the workweek.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom