Recommendations for first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something like the Oceanic GEO 2 with a standard gauge probably makes the most sense on my budget. Any reason to choose this over the countless Suuntos, Cressi's and Aqualungs?
Choice of DSAT or PZ+ over PZ+ only (Aqua Lung) or a version of RGBM (Suunto and Cressi)

I never considered the algorithm to be important, but doing a liveaboard with multiple short dives, it makes sense.

As long as I use some sort of working gauge, I won't run out of air.

If I have a backup SPG, will my computer still function if the wireless connection or air integration fails? If not, I have to ascend anyway, so the backup SPG is of very limited value.
Right. It's always the other guy who will run low or out of air, never me. The wireless pressure reading are the most prone to failure, most being transient, so the analog SPG is mostly for that. It's also handy when gearing up as it tells you tank pressure as soon as the valve is open and the computer is not turned on yet.

Right. It's always the other guy who will run low or out of air, never me. The wireless pressure reading are the most prone to failure, most being transient, so the analog SPG is mostly for that. It's also handy when gearing up as it tells you tank pressure as soon as the valve is open and the computer is not turned on yet.
That's kind of an unfair statement. You have no idea how conscientious the OP is. As long as a diver knows how to use their equipment and can react to abnormal occurrences there is no problem. You're the one who recommended the system you believe to be the most prone to failure.

Right. It's always the other guy who will run low or out of air, never me.
What I meant is as long as some equipment shows me air, it is my fault for being careless, not because of how it was displayed on my wrist or console or left or right side.

The wireless pressure reading are the most prone to failure, most being transient, so the analog SPG is mostly for that. It's also handy when gearing up as it tells you tank pressure as soon as the valve is open and the computer is not turned on yet.

If a reading fails (transient or completely), does the computer still track time at depth in place of tables so you can continue your dive relying on the SPG for air pressure? Or do you need to cut your dive short?

Something like the Oceanic GEO 2 with a standard gauge probably makes the most sense on my budget. Any reason to choose this over the countless Suuntos, Cressi's and Aqualungs?

I've had the GEO 2 and now have the AI OCi, and before that a ProPlus 3 and VEO 2. I like the way Oceanics are designed, andI am used to how they work. I also like the liberal DSAT algorithm and treat it as a line that cannot be crossed. The most important thing about any computer is that you understand it completely.

If your SPG or Computer were to fail you should, as a new diver, head slowly to the surface after notifying your buddy of the problem. You should pretty much know where you stand with air and NDL because you have been regularly monitoring your life support parameters.

Air integration is likely above my budget, especially transmitter based - but I especially don't want anything I don't need that potentially is going to cut my dive short.

A good wrist mounted computer along with SPG has been the mainstay of divers ever since tables became archaic, if not redundant. A good, functioning Nitrox capable computer can be had for surprisingly little money. For me wrist AI computers are a nice convenience, not a necessity for recreational diving.

What I meant is as long as some equipment shows me air, it is my fault for being careless, not because of how it was displayed on my wrist or console or left or right side.

If a reading fails (transient or completely), does the computer still track time at depth in place of tables so you can continue your dive relying on the SPG for air pressure? Or do you need to cut your dive short?

Yes. Usually the failure is the signal from the transmitter not being received, either because of interference or signal being temporarily blocked or weak battery in the transmitter. In most cases the wrist computer will continue to function as an non AI device and if you have a backup SPG you can continue your dive.

It's easy to run low on gas when doing a deep dive as we underestimate the rate at which we consume air at depth and how much we need to return to our starting point and to ascend. That's where the AI computer's remaining air time can come useful. I know it has happened to me, I looked at the computer and saw that I had plenty of air, but the remaining air time was getting close to zero and I knew it was time to ascend.

Does this matter for a casual recreational dive? Is a console really that much more drag than a gauge?

Wow! I completely missed how they are sold separately. This option is out of my price range, at least unless I buy used.

There is nothing magic about dive computers (or any computers). And if it were difficult, you wouldn't have thousands of different choices for essentially the same product. The only thing special about a dive computer is the hardware to sense depth. Everything else could be easily done with an Arduino or Raspberry PI, although manufactures are using smaller, cheaper, proprietary waterproof hardware which is going to be a little harder to work with but really the same process. I don't see the point, if I come up with a remarkably better idea for how to design a dive computer, I will patent it and sell it, not make anything just for personal use.

1. IMO, the drag is not sufficient but the console love to be dangling around and this is not ideal for me as i like to keep thing as streamline as possible. Also console is harder to sell than a separate dive computer in the longer run.

One could argue that having a SPG will increase the drag and risk of entanglement hazard. Yes, but not sufficient. I view Ai to be more of an accessory than a compulsory stuff. The risk of entanglement hazard of an SPG can essentially be eliminated by keep yourself and the SPG streamline, or use a better hose routing method or a shorter hose(as seen in DIR). I personally would trade increasing in insignificant drag for something as reliable as a well-look after SPG.

What about leaky SPG?
This risk can be decreased by inspecting your SPG regular submerged underwater and change your hose every now and then or when you see a crack or tear on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom