No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't see this part of it, but from talking to her she saw him swim over to her and felt him put his hand on her tank, but she somehow didn't see him connect the LP hose to the inflator hose and he never signaled what he was going to do. The BCD and the hoses are all new with only a few dives on them, so they could have been hooked up easily. It's also possible that her inflator hose was not strapped in with the velcro retaining strap as she had been inflating it orally and it would be easier to reach that way. Also the sudden rush of bubbles from the overpressure valves confused her.

I definitely agree that she needs to work on her overall situational awareness.

Mike

You
Do
Not
Touch
My
Gear

If I notice something about another diver's gear, I will point it out. If we are underwater, I may even snap a pic, and show the diver what I am seeing, but I would NEVER dream of making adjustments or "fixing" anything without confirming with the diver first, outside of witnessing an actually developing disaster which the diver obviously needs aid.

Agreed, for the most part, about not touching someone else's gear...but I'mma play devil's advocate for a moment. What about a dangling octo? Isn't it common practice--and actually a recommended practice--to stop the other diver and tuck the freely-swinging octo into a holder?

Agreed, for the most part, about not touching someone else's gear...but I'mma play devil's advocate for a moment. What about a dangling octo? Isn't it common practice--and actually a recommended practice--to stop the other diver and tuck the freely-swinging octo into a holder?

I would stop the other diver and point out the dangling octo without touching it. If they didn't understand what I was signaling, and I didn't happen to have a slate to write on, and the diver otherwise seemed fine, I would shrug and move on. I wouldn't touch another diver or his gear without his consent unless I could imply consent from seeing he was in danger.

I would have stopped this problem before it even started. I would have tested the inflator before getting in the water. If it was fine, I still would have been prepared to disconnect the hose at any point in the dive. Many times a stuck inflator is simply a stuck inflator button, which can be turned a little to stop it. A little silicone spray before the dive works wonders as well.

I would have stopped this problem before it even started. I would have tested the inflator before getting in the water. If it was fine, I still would have been prepared to disconnect the hose at any point in the dive. Many times a stuck inflator is simply a stuck inflator button, which can be turned a little to stop it. A little silicone spray before the dive works wonders as well.

I think you misread the original post. We did test the inflator before entering the water, found it to be leaking air into the BCD, unplugged the LP hose and she dove with it unplugged. A third party plugged it back in underwater while trying to be helpful, causing the unintended ascent.

Mike

in-line shutoff valve to the inflator hose if this is regular problem?

Hey man, is this why you are still almostDIR

3. If a diver is going into the water with a non-standard configuration, there is value in talking it through with the rest of the boat. It's that diver's choice, but shared knowledge and expectations are worth a little effort.

Hey man, underwater with a mouthful of marbles would you still be talking excuses with a crippled wife

you can stealthily do almost anything with a divers gear and most wouldn't have a clue

Hey man, underwater with a mouthful of marbles would you still be talking excuses with a crippled wife

I’m not sure what you are asking here. My statement was we should have shared that she was diving with the LP hose unplugged and the reason with the rest of the boat before starting the dive. That would have prevented someone else from trying to fix it under water.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom