Diver gets DCS on flight home from Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Never take a flight too soon after scuba diving: It's one lesson a Frisco man learned the hard way

Never take a flight too soon after scuba diving: Texas man learned the hard way
Minhaj Qidwai broke one of the most important rules about scuba diving: taking a flight too soon after. It resulted in him getting severely sick on the plane.

Author: Jobin Panicker
Published: 8:55 PM PDT May 27, 2019
Updated: 10:12 AM PDT May 28, 2019
FRISCO, Texas — Minhaj Qidwai, of Frisco, spent six months preparing for his next vacation to Bali. He was so excited to finally go scuba diving.

"I'm not a crazy adrenaline junkie but I do like randomly going on some type of adventure," Qidwai said.

But his trip deep diving off the shores of Bali was memorable for the wrong reasons. Diving deep ocean depths to going sky-high on an airplane in such a short time gave him decompression sickness.

"As soon as we reached that altitude that's when it crashed and it just hit me," he said.

Qidwai had to take two flights to get back home to Frisco. The first shorter flight he said he felt fine. But he said on the second 13-hour flight from Korea to the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport he was in the worst physical pain.

"My joints started hurting – my elbows, my knees, everything started aching," he said.

Dr. Derek Culnan, with Medical City Plano, was part of the team that treated Minhaj. He says decompression sickness is when high levels of nitrogen gases enter the tissues. The doctor likens it to opening up a shaken bottle of soda.

"Instead of you slowly letting that lid off and those bubbles slowly come out it'll explode out and sort of like the soda pouring all over the place, those bubbles will accrue in your tissues," Dr. Culnan said.

Those bubbles block the blood vessels and restrict blood flow. Untreated decompression sickness or bends can be fatal.

03f06fc7-4326-4fc3-9a70-c6b8624f4d48_750x422.jpg

Courtesy / Minhaj Qidwai
Qidwai crumpled to the floor at D/FW Airport. His family rushed him to Medical City Frisco. Doctors quickly diagnosed him with bends and he was then taken to Medical City Plano, where there's a hyperbaric chamber.

Staff with Medical City Plano had just left for home after their shift and were called back at midnight to help treat Qidwai.

"When you're not in a coastal area you don't think about things that happen in coastal areas," Culnan said.

It is not an every-day or even every-month diagnosis in North Texas. Five hours Qidwai spent in the hyperbaric chamber getting him down to pressure. It worked.

"It was kind of humbling," he said. "When you take courses over it and you're warned not to do something, you're not God, you're going to get yourself hurt."

He's hoping other people hear his story. The rule is after diving you're supposed to wait 24 hours before getting on a plane. Minhaj has learned that rule should not be taken lightly, no matter how adventurous you are.

Any idea as to how many hours transpired between diving and flying? I did not see any information on timing in the article.

His OW certification, dives in Bali (< 30m), "got bent flying home" and "out of hospital" Instagram posts all say "one month ago", looks like he got his OW on the same trip.

It's funny how finding out he "only" did 30m made me scratch my head, when four ATA is still a lot of pressure to be tootling around videoing stuff for ages, probably worse than a quick tea-bagging to 60m, I gotta stop focussing on depth as the only risk factor, and forgetting about bottom time. Seems like a very nice down to earth chap, mentions having an unidentified virus too - glad he's okay.

AS OF TODAY, I have passed my written and practical exams an
"... and am officially a licensed open water scuba diver! Got to see a whole other world including a sunken ship that we were able to explore! Can't wait to share the footage with y'all. This was the main purpose for coming here and I'm glad I was able to see it through (given that I'm a terrible swimmer lmao) but of all places I've been, Bali has been my favorite by far for so much more than the scuba world... "

From scuba diving nearly 30 meters deep and seeing another w
"...world under water ..."

A combination of flying too soon after diving and picking up
"... some unidentified (for now) virus from either Bali or the plane has ya boy lounging in ICU. Hoping to have some kind of superpower once this is all over..."

I'm officially out of the hospital. Thank you to EVERYONE. Y
"Y'all have been so kind and every thought and prayer is accounted for and appreciated... I sincerely mean that. It means a lot. Found out I'm immortal so that's cool. Anyways, to reward your well wishes, here's some videos..."

Makes me wonder if he really was bent. Perhaps he had dengue.

We just had a diver who did 4 Table 6 after his first day of diving. No booze the night before, nothing hinky on the dive, no flyer no, super fit and former Navy helo jumper. I guess it can happen to anyone but the dengue suggestion interesting given the timing at altitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom