Good reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
Going through my Normoxic class and need to up my reel. The old XS Scuba one that I started with was fine, but is small. I am outgrowing it. Genericly speaking, I am looking for something in the 300-400 foot range.

I did pick up a 400' Light Monkey, and proceeded to loose it right away. Not before I found I wasn't that impressed with it. The lock was not that positive, the screw just digs in. Didn't like the lack of friction, felt like it was on the verge of birds nesting all the time. It did feel pretty good on quality. If I still had it I would be keeping it. But since I lost it, looking at what my other options are.

So back in the market. No caves. Mostly open/deep water. Although the eventual goal is to get into some wrecks. I have a little time so research. Old threads just bash nearly every reel for one reason or another. Or I get "I have one and like it" with no supporting statements.

Back a few years ago during one of my classes one of the instructors had a collection of reels and offered "try them, see what you like". But I was so fresh with a reel I didn't know what was good or bad. It was a string with a handle you wind in. So I am trying to remember some of those details. Spent an evening going through forums and on-line stores to see what is out there. Manta is one that appeals to me, I believe that was even one of the demo ones I tried. It looks brutally simple to me but I see bashing for being overly complex. They have been around forever as well. Kent tooling gets rave reviews and is about the same, even offering upgrades to the Manta (plastic to stainless for the drum). Yea, I am leaning that direction. But I am still open to suggestions.

I'd throw in Halcyon Pathfinder and Defender to see what folks think of them....

I have a bunch of reels I have picked up for various reasons over time...

My LM is nice, but I wish they had some form of a trap for the lock screw. I have a Kent tooling standard reel and a narrow ratchet. The ratchet is an incredible bit of design and precision (but heavy), and the standard reel is nice, but still basically similar to many others (and $$) - just built like a tank crossed with a fine watch. My manta is okay, but the lock seems to be more problematic than beneficial, tending to disengage too easily.

I don't think there is a "perfect" reel...

Waiting for others input.

I would avoid sidewinder reels for this. They're great for dumping line, they suck for reeling it back in, especially if you need to keep tension on the line with your finger. They also tend to not have a great positive lock compared to other designs that give you the warm fuzzies. If you didn't like the LM reel you had, there aren't any sidewinders out that there are going to have any major improvement from that.

I would get #36 line for this as well which is a lot nicer to work with and more durable than #24. 24 works fine, but I prefer 36 for big reels.

The manta's are great for this since they latch easily which minimizes risk of dropping the line all the way out, they don't have an open hook to catch on stuff like the tradition style reels, but I wouldn't bother upgrading to a metal drum. Plastic is perfectly fine.

I don't think there is a "perfect" reel...

I noticed that as well, like I don't think I would want a sidewinder to send up a bag, but a standard reel doesn't seem to work very well with a primary light.

I would get #36 line for this as well which is a lot nicer to work with and more durable than #24. 24 works fine, but I prefer 36 for big reels.

What about the dacron line? Because I noticed DGX stopped selling #36 line.

I had a Manta once, the spring grip feature felt really annoying to me and not that positive. Its also heavy and overall I found it awkward.

Personally I have exclusively LM and Halcyon sidewinding reels at this point but could see how you might not like the 'lock' for your purposes.

If I were you I'd track down a used top handle DR and try it. You might hate them, I think the plastic spool is cheap and the C-clip spindle is not a good design to me. BUT you might like the style or design and used they are quite budget on the used market (~$40) so you could try it. Winding style is roughly comparable to a kent tooling so you could see if that works for you before investing in a $$$ reel. And the DR could be a backup down the road or sell it for what you paid for it.

@rjack321 I find the manta style reels are really convenient when you're towing dive flags and immensely annoying when doing actual reel work. If I knew I was going to be hanging under something for any amount of time, I'd use one of those. If I am only using it as a contingency, then it'll be something more like a normal reel or likely a large spool since it will be on ascent and locking spools is easy for an ascent

Any thoughts on the Dive Rite Slide lock or Divesoft reels?

same comment about sidewinder reels. The Dive Rite slide lock works well, but is still a sidewinder. Divesoft is the same. Personal preference I guess if you like them, but I don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom