Tipping Cave Instructor - Somewhat Unique Situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taath

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I am going to be doing several days of full cave training in the near future. It seems like the issue of whether or not to tip an instructor is kinda split down the middle.

To further complicate my issue, my instructor is actually in the process of completing his full cave instructor cert and will be evaluated during my course by another instructor. As I do not have a team mate, the evaluating instructor will be my team mate for applicable portions.

Historically I have tipped my tech instructors and am planning to tip for this course as well. How much to tip my instructor and whether/how much to tip the evaluator/team mate is what I'm a bit unsure of.

Anyone have any thoughts they can share on this?

Unlike jumping off a boat, where DM's live and die by their tips, most technical/cave instructors do not count on tips as part of their income and any gratuity you choose to give them will be both a surprise, and appreciated.

Given that your instructor will be undergoing an IE as part of your course, I really doubt he/she will be counting on a tip. My recommendation, do something nice but thoughtful. Perhaps a $50 gift card for a restaurant.

Best of luck on your class!

I've been tipped anywhere from nothing to $400 to a $2300 drysuit. It's always a surprise, always welcomed and appreciated. I've been tipped a $300 bottle of Scotch before and I don't drink. I can't even remember who I gave that bottle to.

Anything will be appreciated, and I promise, years down the road, you'll still be remembered and appreciated for whatever you do. That might come in handy for further classes if scheduling or class size becomes an issue.

Maybe see what his/her favorite kinda of alcohol is and get them a nice bottle if they drink? I have seen a friend going through his IE and he was stressed every single night since the evaluator put him through the ringer every single day. I'm sure he/she could use a drink or destress when it's all over.

Perhaps you could treat them to a nice dinner after you finish the class? I have always done this after passing a class as a way to get to know the instructor outside of the classroom setting and also to pick their brains on anything you may inquire about.

you could always get him a quarter oz of coke. Or was that only done in the NACD? Whatever, find out what he likes, and give it to him. Before you get involved in giving him illegal drugs drive by the county jail and both correctional facilities in Trenton before making a decision if you want to live there for a while.

Michael

I mule stuff down to Mexico every time I visit. That’s my tip. You’d be surprised at how much a little suitcase space will get you.

This may sound terrible of me, but why tip an advanced instructor at all? In most cases, aren't they usually the ones setting the class fee, as well as keeping all of it? For a tech class it's not like you're paying a PADI OW who's attached to a shop. I don't tip my attorney or my doctor (although, maybe I'd get more free Tootsie Pops if I did).

This may sound terrible of me, but why tip an advanced instructor at all? In most cases, aren't they usually the ones setting the class fee, as well as keeping all of it? For a tech class it's not like you're paying a PADI OW who's attached to a shop. I don't tip my attorney or my doctor (although, maybe I'd get more free Tootsie Pops if I did).

Because we’re at a level that we don’t have to take every student that calls us. And it just might mean that we’re willing to tolerate you instead of the other person who needed a different class on the same week. :)

FYI, I tipped my attorney $1500 last year. He provided EXCELLENT service, going above and beyond all expectations. I should have tipped him double that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom